Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 17:02   #31

Re: Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
The only annual forms SS sends is a benefit statement and a yearly income statement for tax purposes. Otherwise, they really do not want to hear from you. Any problems best addressed via your elected congressional representative or senator. Works wonders.
I almost cannot comment at all because of lack of info. Im relaying what SSA told me directly, an annual form sent to you in October wherein you estimate your next years income (otherwise, they said, how would we know how much to pay you next year?) In that form you will be checking boxes about life-changing events like, did you die this year, or are you expected to die in the coming year? (yes half joke here, but only half.)

The problem is the way out THEY have. Its fine, dont report a thing, but should they get on to something they believe you should have reported, thats their ammo to cut you.

I truly thought they were only interested in income, and then only by way of what they pick up from IRS records after April filings. But no, they want more. As an example if any of you retirees own guns, soon you will have to report that ownership and then should you get a Trustee or someone to handle your affairs and payments, SSA can take away the guns because of your "unfitness for duty" type of thing.

Im brand new at this but so far in my dealings with them they dont seem to be on my side, they are on their own side and finding excuses for cutting benefits seems to be their favored hobby, given the abundant warnings they have conveyed.
CharlesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 17:06   #32

Quote:
Yes, we had the same problem when we visited Ohio.
Do tell! And I thought it was only me when I returned home to visit California.
Old 01-06-2016, 17:26   #33

Quote:
But dead men vote in Chicago.
Not only that, those same dead men vote multiple times in the same elections. Where DO they get that energy? I want whatever they got in that pill bottle.
Old 01-06-2016, 17:45   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
If you are living outside of the U.S. as an expat you are required, every two years, to submit a "Proof of Life" form. I have lived in Panama (Republic of) for six years and just submitted my third one. If you DON'T submit it they will cut off your funds. Here in Panama there is no home mail delivery but my General Delivery address is fine with SS.
. no one i know who is expat does this in mexico. canadians need to return every 6 months to benefit from insurance. usa not so.
you report death and you report change of bank, if you are brave enough to interrupt your checks for 6 months.
you are mandated to receive mail at an address in usa or within range of usps.
that is only requirement. i have heard of none here in mexico having funding cut off.
perhaps if you have no usa address this may be case, but for those of us with usa address, i havent seen this occurring.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 18:23   #35

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
-----As an example if any of you retirees own guns, soon you will have to report that ownership and then should you get a Trustee or someone to handle your affairs and payments, SSA can take away the guns because of your "unfitness for duty" type of thing.
-----
You get strange information in Malaysia.

I've been drawing Social Security for almost 10 years. During that period I have been out of the country for months at a time on numerous occasions. I've never informed anybody except family and friends. I have a mail forwarding service which serves as my residence address (legal domicile). My Social Security checks are direct deposited to my bank in the USA.
No problems.
Old 01-06-2016, 19:17   #36

Oldragbaggers,

Before I forget, one thing to do, on the form there is a comment box at the end. In that you are supposed to fill in minor explanations of something you said in the form, if needbe. But you also use that space to state the date you want benefits to start. If you dont, SSA can assign a start date that gives you the lowest benefit, including backdating the application to a date before your 62nd bday to ensure you get the rock bottom amount.

Anyway, nobody can micro-manage their life via SSA or even friends for that matter. I'll follow rules but as a birds view from 30,000 feet. If you are coming in and out of the US within the same year or have small events that open and close in that time, I personally wouldnt report. If you have big event like jobs, marriages, dependent deaths, big changes in health if you are getting disability payments, deciding to park in a locale for a long time, anything that extends beyond a year, then ok tell them. Thats just my own take on it.
Old 01-06-2016, 19:20   #37

Boat: Southern Cross 35

Good information. We are heading out this month if all goes well and important point have been raised.

Related questions:

Some have mentioned expats. What is the definition of an expat? Does it mean that one does not have a state affiliation? Does one still pay taxes? How does it affect SS? How does it affect owning a documented vessel? Is it something you have to apply for, or are you expat just because you are? There seems to be no obvious info available on the web.

Thanks.
tmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 19:28   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
You get strange information in Malaysia.

I've been drawing Social Security for almost 10 years. During that period I have been out of the country for months at a time on numerous occasions. I've never informed anybody except family and friends. I have a mail forwarding service which serves as my residence address (legal domicile). My Social Security checks are direct deposited to my bank in the USA.
No problems.
I can direct you to info about my post, its being talked about widely this week. What happened to Vets is happening to seniors now too.

What you are describing is that nobody has caught you in non-reporting. The SSA spells this out plainly. Im only relaying what I have read on the SSA website and what they told me in phone calls. The rest is up to the individual. But its good to know nobody has bothered you.

I know plenty of people who simply do not care about SSA, its pin money to them as their reliance is on their savings, IRAs, company pensions. For those who do care about SSA, like me, I dont wish to add to their excuses to cut me.
Old 01-06-2016, 19:38   #39

As an American that has worked and contributed funds that I earned into this system, I should be entitled to MY benifits no matter where I am. Having a US address is easy and so is using a forwarding service. I'm certainly not going to tell them anything that will jeopardize my benifits or allow my government to dictate how or where I live. I'm going to continue cruising until I can't do it anymore and then I may go back to the states, but I will not allow America, land of the free to dictate to me as a free American that I need to live my retirement a certain way or risk losing my benifits that I worked my life for. That's Bull. Tell them what they need to know and no more. So many people take advantage of America and have for so many years and who pays the bill? Hard working Americans, and they want us to answer to them about where and how we live?? No wonder why so many Americans are giving up their citizenship.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 22:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmason View Post
Good information. We are heading out this month if all goes well and important point have been raised.

Related questions:

Some have mentioned expats. What is the definition of an expat? Does it mean that one does not have a state affiliation? Does one still pay taxes? How does it affect SS? How does it affect owning a documented vessel? Is it something you have to apply for, or are you expat just because you are? There seems to be no obvious info available on the web.

Thanks.
Really expatriate is just a term to indicate you are not living at home, put it that way. Expat is the term your new country uses to describe you as a foreigner in their country. Expats can fall into various categories like those who have renounced citizenship, or just vacationing at their home in the tropics for two years, or living permanently abroad while maintaining their citizenship and tax obligations at home. My aunt has been living in Greece since 1965 and still is an American and pays IRS taxes on her foreign income. Expats all.

Of course you can own a vessel and live where you like. But banks care, Obamacare cares, IRS cares and particularly under Obama who cares deeply where you have your money (FATCA) and how you live financially. Telling IRS you now live abroad opens a pandora's box. If you are cruising more than 180 days a year, you are treated as a foreigner at home.

Im not claiming to say it all correctly but during the past 8 years much freedom and privacy has evaporated. Even finding a foreign bank to open an account for an american is becoming impossible.

Im digressing but it may apply to folks. In 2000 i could open a bank account anywhere, especially Malaysia. Today, I transfer money to that account from US and the bank here stops it until I can furnish proof I paid taxes on that money. Otherwise they call it money laundering and seize the money. In Singapore, the IRS has a direct line to the banks records and any deposit from an american is logged for further study.

I see a time owners will have a mandatory epirb/rfid sort of device to let them see your position nite and day.
Old 01-06-2016, 22:25   #41

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

There was a thread here a couple of years ago about a retired Austealian who gave up the idea of cruising in Indonesia and Asia because of Aust government restriction on his pension.

I suspect in the present era when governments are still paying the penalty for bailing out the banks in 2008, and with an ageing population , that more and more restrictions will be imposed on every government disbursement - includes pensions, health etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 22:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
As an American that has worked and contributed funds that I earned into this system, I should be entitled to MY benifits no matter where I am. Having a US address is easy and so is using a forwarding service. I'm certainly not going to tell them anything that will jeopardize my benifits or allow my government to dictate how or where I live. I'm going to continue cruising until I can't do it anymore and then I may go back to the states, but I will not allow America, land of the free to dictate to me as a free American that I need to live my retirement a certain way or risk losing my benifits that I worked my life for. That's Bull. Tell them what they need to know and no more. So many people take advantage of America and have for so many years and who pays the bill? Hard working Americans, and they want us to answer to them about where and how we live?? No wonder why so many Americans are giving up their citizenship.
Hey Im not here to fight you, sure i agree. Im on a forum called city-data and the SSA recipients all talk the same way but the attitude is pointless and passe. Most go along with the evolving rules (less freedom and privacy) because people are basically law-abiding. Your attitude, which was always standard and normal is now risky. Thats all im saying.

I sit there quiet and reading and how many times in the past month have I seen "they cant f*$&ing do that, its my f&#&#(*&$ing money!! I worked all my god*&#^#m life!! Yeah well they DID it and they arent done either.

Vote wisely in Nov too--whatever thats worth.
Old 01-06-2016, 22:42   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
There was a thread here a couple of years ago about a retired Austealian who gave up the idea of cruising in Indonesia and Asia because of Aust government restriction on his pension.

I suspect in the present era when governments are still paying the penalty for bailing out the banks in 2008, and with an ageing population , that more and more restrictions will be imposed on every government disbursement - includes pensions, health etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
Funny you mention that, Obamacare is reaching everywhere and I imagine it shouldnt be long before cruising is added to high-risk behaviors so youd be choosing between cruising and social security. I always considered cruising an off the grid life but like you said about the Australian, it isnt. I havent even asked SSA about the world of boating, dont think I will either unless I wake up one day needing to be more pissed off than I already am.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:44   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Hey Im not here to fight you, sure i agree. Im on a forum called city-data and the SSA recipients all talk the same way but the attitude is pointless and passe. Most go along with the evolving rules (less freedom and privacy) because people are basically law-abiding. Your attitude, which was always standard and normal is now risky. Thats all im saying.

I sit there quiet and reading and how many times in the past month have I seen "they cant f*$&ing do that, its my f&#&#(*&$ing money!! I worked all my god*&#^#m life!! Yeah well they DID it and they arent done either.

Vote wisely in Nov too--whatever thats worth.
No Internet fighting here.. That's silly. just voicing my opinion. The "RULES" We're one of the reasons I left in the first place. But that money in those accounts is ours and we are entitled to it upon retirement age. That's why it's best to tell them only what they want to year and move on. I don't see this as lying one bit. I worked for that money, and they would prefer to give it away to those that didn't instead of deserving American workers.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:12   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
But that money in those accounts is ours and we are entitled to it upon retirement age.
I don't think you understand how Social Security works. There is no money in an account that is yours. There is no "account" that is yours. You've been paying a tax all these years. That tax money was going to your elders. Now the current generation are paying taxes, and that money is coming to you.

The notion that you have an "account" is nothing but a bookkeeping fiction that even the SSA has given up on trying to perpetuate.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, security