Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 10:07   #16

Re: Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security

I have heard of a case where a retired military person was living in the Philippines and his new Filipino family never reported his death.
Therefore they continued to draw benefits for many years before the retirement system caught on. There was no way for the USA TO GET THE $$ back.
As a tax payer and a retired person I fully support the governments attempt
to control the system, IMO we need more investigations not fewer.
I does not hurt me to follow the regulations.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:10   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Thank you for this in depth reply. As far as the [above] we have a permanent U.S. address through St. Brendan's Isle, and our social security checks are being direct deposited to a U.S. bank, so contact and receipt of funds will not be an issue. We will not be expats anywhere. We will be returning to the U.S. regularly.

That is my intent as well, and I have been advised more than once that we won't live aboard either, we are on an "extended cruise"
Semantics yes, but my home of record as it was called when I was in the Military will be St. Brendan's Isle, send all correspondence there
So as we move about on the boat, we have not changed our Domicile, cause we aren't live aboards.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:18   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
I have heard of a case where a retired military person was living in the Philippines and his new Filipino family never reported his death.
Therefore they continued to draw benefits for many years before the retirement system caught on. There was no way for the USA TO GET THE $$ back.
As a tax payer and a retired person I fully support the governments attempt
to control the system, IMO we need more investigations not fewer.
I does not hurt me to follow the regulations.
I completely agree with you in this regard, and have no problem with systematic verifications that I am still alive and still a U.S. citizen or whatever it is they need to do to confirm that I am still entitled to be collecting my benefits. I am just questioning whether people who normally go in and out of the country for travel, I am not talking about taking up permanent residency in another country, really report to the administration every time their boat leaves U.S. waters for over 30 days. Or what if it's not a boat, what if you just travel extensively and for longer periods of time? I completely agree with the bi-annual proof of life, and in fact think it should be annual. Two years is a long time to pay out on a dead person.
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:21   #19

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

The land of the free?
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Semantics yes, but my home of record as it was called when I was in the Military will be St. Brendan's Isle...
It is not just semantics. It is an important distinction. You will NOT be changing your residence. It will remain St. Brendan's Isle. The SSA does not need to know every time that you leave the country, and they don't WANT to know that! What they want to know is whenever you change your residence. Even if you are moving from country to country on a regular basis, your residence is not changing.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:28   #21

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Like most I use direct deposit. I have never considered reporting my moves to social security. if you are still filing tax returns I don't see any chance they will attempt to declare you dead. Few dead men pay taxes.
Failure to report may be breaking their rules but there is no penalty so no good reason to comply.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Like most I use direct deposit. I have never considered reporting my moves to social security. if you are still filing tax returns I don't see any chance they will attempt to declare you dead. Few dead men pay taxes.
Failure to report may be breaking their rules but there is no penalty so no good reason to comply.
But dead men vote in Chicago.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:55   #23

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat

Or join SBI, a mail service provider in Green Cove Springs, Florida that gives you a legal address in the US and forwards your mail wherever you are on your own time frame.
The local DMV, gave me Florida residence (no state income tax), and helped me with my driver license, boat/dinghy/car/motorcycle titles and voting card in 45 minutes flat.
https://www.sbimailservice.com
I have no connection with them, only as a very happy customer for my 4 years cruising live.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:58   #24

Boat: Alaska 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC45 View Post
hello,
I am also retired and was wondering about that.. How do you receive that form, and when and how do you notify them that your travailing out side this country. if i move to alaska do i have to do the same thing?
No need to worry about this at all concerning Alaska...we're part of the US too.
dgseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:12   #25

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Hi, I don't either. But, I see that SS does not red flag all SS's of persons that have passed so those numbers can not be re used by any one. If it does, a red screen pops up and the police can be called. I've seen illegal mexicans re use and apply with false documents and they never check them out to see if its all litigant.
I was more interested on if i can leave for a few months and still keep my banking and post office box, is that ok. I will notify my CU where i'll be and the vicinity so they wouldn't shut down my card. My bank will do that and if so, i can always email or call if my position changes.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:14   #26

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

OK thanks, wasn't sure .
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgseng View Post
No need to worry about this at all concerning Alaska...we're part of the US too.
Really???
Old 01-06-2016, 14:00   #28

Boat: Fantasia 35

When I retired the deal was that Congress had made the transferring of U.S. Dollars to America's enemies (i.e. Cuba, Vietnam, North Korea, etc.) illegal. Thus, for the time you spend in any of these countries you are not eligible to receive government payments. The list of countries that it is illegal to transfer U.S. funds to can be quite dynamic. I suspect this is one of the reasons way there is a requirement for reporting when and where you are traveling.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 14:23   #29

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgseng View Post
Ah hu, I knew it finally an admission.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 16:35   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
When I retired the deal was that Congress had made the transferring of U.S. Dollars to America's enemies (i.e. Cuba, Vietnam, North Korea, etc.) illegal. Thus, for the time you spend in any of these countries you are not eligible to receive government payments. The list of countries that it is illegal to transfer U.S. funds to can be quite dynamic. I suspect this is one of the reasons way there is a requirement for reporting when and where you are traveling.
Yes, we had the same problem when we visited Ohio.

Tags
men, security