Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 13:51   #1

Do You Have To Be Succesful To Live A Good Life On A Boat?

How much of the coast line is still uninhabited and available to beach a dinghy at for free in the cities around the Great Loop/ICW? I thought about it, and I am really looking for basically a hotel room on the water that can move to the warm weather year round. Yet, still be able to spend a lot of the daytime being a tourist around the city, exercising, cooking good food, reading books, kayaking, and swimming at the beach.

It seems like there are a lot of fees and a reduction of good anchoring spots in the big cities...let alone if you need to make any repairs. I am not 'poor' anymore, but I don't have the million dollar retirement account yet either.

I have a concept for a boat in the 9-10m range that I could afford, but am still a few years away from doing it in order to have enough money to have a decent quality of life and not worry about a major expense. Maybe I am overthinking this and am planning too much and not just doing it. See my other thread I made today.

Then you have the attitudes and perceptions from the friends and family, that I am sure will be a problem since I would be doing something other than the 30-40 year career thing.
WORLD TOUR STORIES - Alex and Taru sailing around the world. Sailing blog.: Jealous and bitter

One big thing with me is that if I had more vacation time, escaping on a boat wouldn't be as much of desire. The other issue is it seems like a lot of the hotels/resorts and millions of jobs and city tax dollars are dependent on the rich tourist that only has a few days and can spend thousands of dollars. They seem to want to discourage this type of living with ocean views for ~1/20th the price. And society in general wouldn't work if everyone was able to live on a boat and not pay property taxes or income taxes...
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 14:06   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Do You Have To Be Succesful To Live A Good Life On A Boat?

The short answer is that almost everywhere you can anchor for free and find a place to get ashore for free. There are very few places that you can't, and most of those could be avoided easily. You are still liable for income taxes on a boat, and most of us pay some sort of state and local taxes in order to keep our boat someplace. However, if you keep moving, don't stay more than a few weeks someplace, you are not usually going to encounter any local taxes. Once you sit some place more than 90 days (30 or 60 days some places) local taxes start to kick in.
Old 01-01-2013, 16:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Meeting all of the criteria of the OP:
Miami Beach good, Ft. Lauderdale difficult, Palm Beaches good, Stuart good, Ft. Pierce fair, Melbourne fair, Daytona Beach fair, St. Aug fair; there are more in Fla.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:52   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

As long as one doesn't exceed their means and obey the local laws, one should do just fine! So far, this (USA) is still a free country and one can stop a mingle at will.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Got income? Or savings? Boat? Some experience sailing? I guess that is about all the essentials on the checklist. You can always find some place to anchor, and usually figure out some way to get ashore. If you got a good watercatcher or a watermaker, and solar and/or wind battery charging, you would be surprised how long you can actually go without the need for stepping around on the hard.

It's true that some folks and particularly some govt types, don't like the idea of boat tramps just passing through, just existing, and not giving up some dough. They will, of course, encourage the local law enforcement types to keep a close eye on you and your ilk. Therefore you need to pay close attention to keeping to the letter of the law. Other than that, well, just do your thing. Do no harm. Make no demands. Be self sufficient. Leave things as clean as you found them. Go do it somewhere else for a while, and somewhere else, and somewhere else, and probably nobody will bother with bothering with you.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 14:40   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Of course being "successful" is the same thing as "living the good life" and this makes your question very confusing.
Old 02-01-2013, 15:32   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Of course being "successful" is the same thing as "living the good life" and this makes your question very confusing.
+1!

If you are living a good life then you are successful. I think. On land or the water.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Yes, I wondered about that. Success for me alone would mean time to write and space to live. That could mean a 28-32 footer and an income of $10K/year. Success for me and my family is a bigger boat and more cost, but I know it is less costly to live than if we were ashore, if only because I make my own electricity and water, sail more than motor, can spend much of my time in warm climates, and can even fish for my dinner (well, some places, still).

If I restrict my Internetting to free WiFi and libraries and my phone to per-minute roaming, it gets even cheaper.

It really depends in my experience how closely you need to emulate condo life on a boat. To a lesser degree is going to almost always mean less money spent and more time looking at the water.

You pretty well have to love looking at the water.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Have To Be Succesful To Live A Good Life On A Boat?

No.... you have to Live Aboard to be Successful...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

You pretty well have to love looking at the water.
It's all relative! Some people are bored/boring no matter how much money/possessions they have.
It takes a certain type personality to live below the average and still enjoy life.

Goto the Philippine for example. The average live in annual disasters, unclean conditions, hardly any possessions or money, health concerns and so on, but yet you'll find that they are a happy bunch for the most part.

It's just that the western world has become so spoiled they can't imagine living in a nepa hut in the pouring rain and having to rely on themselves for entertainment.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06   #11

Boat: Skookum 53'

Everyone's definition of successful is different. For me, living life on my own terms as much as possible is it. If you are just looking to cruise around to different cities to hang out, why not get a nice motorhome or 5th wheel trailer? They build some very nice ones with slide out compartments that will give you much more space and comfort than a 10 M vessel will give you, and with a 5th wheel you can park it at a KOA or Wal Mart, and disconnect and drive around with your truck to take in all the sights. I believe it would be less expensive and a sight less complex. We live aboards are a preverse lot that enjoy our misery.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
............ And society in general wouldn't work if everyone was able to live on a boat and not pay property taxes or income taxes...
Where did you get the idea that pepole living on boats are not subject to taxes? I've been required to pay about $10,000 in a combination of sales tax and state registration taxes over the years I've lived aboard as well as the portion of my slip fees that pay property taxes just like anyone renting an apartment. In addition, there is no exemption from income taxes for people living on boats!
Old 03-01-2013, 15:35   #13

Quote:
In addition, there is no exemption from income taxes for people living on boats!
But there is some pay back on interest if you have a bank loan on the boat.
Unless one is inherently wealthy one still has to work to maintain a boat, on and off the boat.
Old 03-01-2013, 16:36   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
But there is some pay back on interest if you have a bank loan on the boat.
Unless one is inherently wealthy one still has to work to maintain a boat, on and off the boat.
Doesn't this all hold true if you substitute the word "house" for "boat"? ....."in or out of the house." I've been living on the same boat for 28 years,- no interest, - no loan,- no car,- no house, no "inherent" wealth,- no work since 2002,- no stress, - no worry,- 'just cruising, but oh yes, I still pay taxes.
Old 03-01-2013, 16:45   #15

California is the only area I know well. It's very difficult (but not impossible) to anchor and dinghy ashore.....especially in the Los Angeles area. Local restrictions. No more than 72 hours. Check in with the harbor patrol. Don't leave your boat unattended for more than one hour. Etc, etc. Get a cruising guide for the area you're interested in. I like to think east coast is better than here. At least we have Catalina Island......you can anchor, but it's challenging......deep......good practice for everywhere else!
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote