Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 12:21   #106
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

hay--can i borrow yer mower for my underwater work?? the grass is becoming ugly now... ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 12:39   #107
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Since i do not have a boat right now I live in an apartment. I get hassled and eyebrowed because I live in an apartment. I know people who get hassled because they threw MonkeyBucks into a McHouse. So, whats the big deal where you get hassled.

The biggest eyebrow for me is whether you have income comin in and what will you do when you are at a point where you cannot sail anymore due to age and medical reasons. If you are retired cool. Have mega money saved cool. But if a boat is all you own and have been throwing your life savings into...what then? Go to the woods with a SIG SAUER 226 Navy model?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 12:40   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hay--can i borrow yer mower for my underwater work?? the grass is becoming ugly now... ....
I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ELECTRIC SHOCK WHILE USING ELECTRIC MOWER UNDERWATER. However maybe it could work like electrolysis on the weeds. or replace need for the SIG SAUER 226
halsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 12:47   #109

Boat: Skookum 53'

When my ancestors became so old they were a burden on the tribe, they would walk out on the ice and pass their final time with the Great Spirit. No need to waste ammunition. Of course they didn't have guns either.
Old 22-05-2011, 12:51   #110

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Everyone gets flak for something they do. Right now I'm getting flak for living alone in a 2100 sqft house with three bedrooms, two baths. The only thing that shuts them up is the for sale sign on the lawn. Then I tell them where I'm moving to and it starts all over.

"But it's all right now, I've learned my lesson well
You see, you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself" (R. Nelson)
Old 22-05-2011, 12:52   #111
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
When my ancestors became so old they were a burden on the tribe, they would walk out on the ice and pass their final time with the Great Spirit. No need to waste ammunition. Of course they didn't have guns either.
Hard to find a good iceberg in the eastern carib this time of year.
Old 22-05-2011, 13:01   #112
Armchair Bucketeer

In the past (extended time abroad - gaps in work history) I have used mostly vagueness and also told folks what they wanted to hear.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 13:08   #113
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Since i do not have a boat right now I live in an apartment. I get hassled and eyebrowed because I live in an apartment. I know people who get hassled because they threw MonkeyBucks into a McHouse. So, whats the big deal where you get hassled.

The biggest eyebrow for me is whether you have income comin in and what will you do when you are at a point where you cannot sail anymore due to age and medical reasons. If you are retired cool. Have mega money saved cool. But if a boat is all you own and have been throwing your life savings into...what then? Go to the woods with a SIG SAUER 226 Navy model?
ROTFLMAO.... Monkey... your optomistic... what makes you think your gonna live long enuf to get too old to sail...
Though listening to ya... I wonder if you already are...
I've 756euros in my account... no SS coz I live in Portugal and a boat thats on the hard I'm trying to fix up...
Possible income from 'Possible Deliveries' depending on if they pass Survey... or if they don't change their mind...
Get out there and do it... and... maybe like me you'll find 'Angels' to sit on your shoulder...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 13:16   #114

Boat: Skookum 53'

True that, well you can always sail out on your outrigger canoe with no water or fishing lines.
Old 22-05-2011, 13:27   #115
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
maybe like me you'll find 'Angels' to sit on your shoulder...
It's what those damn angels leave on your shoulders is whatz im worried about
Old 22-05-2011, 13:30   #116
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
It's what those damn angels leave on your shoulders is whatz im worried about
Smells a lot sweeter than the 'Bluebird of Happiness'......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 14:38   #117
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I spent alot of my life in a "shared house" or just renting a room....it was never my place and I was treated as such. Now I livfe on my boat and am in the process of gutting the interior and rebuilding it with exotic woods from all over the world, how many landlords would allow that. With the exception of the people who do not realize I am paying 12.5% lease hold tax and say I am gettign away with out paying property tax, my living on a boat is looked at with some degree of envy. If not what someone else would like, it is that I am doing what I want rather than living with some degree of compromise.
Old 26-05-2011, 03:02   #118

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

I don't really get flack for living aboard mostly people have questions. There is always the person that says oh you dont have any taxes to pay! When living in a marina, my fees go to pay my share of their taxes, same as an apartment. Since I work I pay income tax and all other taxes associated with living here.
I do not keep a junky boat, it is my home. Like most we have pride of ownership and no mortgage ( had those too from time to time, don't miss em) I had houses, and traded for one that floats and travels.
A boat may not be an investment plan, and in downturn of housing prices, a house may not be either. There are other ways to save and invest.
To each his own manner of living. If you listen someone will always have some negative thing to say about what one is doing.
Enjoy your life however you choose to live it.
Fair winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 04:12   #119
cruiser

Ok so I don't see a benefit either way this morning. I see hypocrisy. I read here above the mantra's of how people postulate/lecture about how to live without being materialistic or having to depend on "things" in live, and in the same breath the same people love their boats and oooh and aaaaw all gaga like at the same materials they profess to not depend on! You know what....you still have the same worries and dependencies as someone who owns a house. Worse, in fact. A house don't move around. Doesn't get in a shipping lane, or have to worry about a credit card captain rammin the hell out of it and sinkin' it....or worry that when you are at the ice creme parlor the house anchor might snap and send your house onto a reef. Don't have to worry about their house tender being stolen, or some crazy local bandido coming aboard to steal the boatykatt!

There ain't no such thing as freedom. anything you own ends up owning you.

As for respect...it ain't just the house owners and the usual suspects...how many of you get looked down upon by the boating community because you are a livaboard? How many yards ignore you or treat you like dirt because you are a livaboard who doenst have a ton of money like that bozo from the city that comes down once a month to sit in his boat at the dock over the weeend and shells out megabucks to the yard people for work?

GrumpyMonkey sees the truth indeed! AHAA!!!
Old 26-05-2011, 04:15   #120

On a more serious note, in the UK you cannot open a bank account without a residential address. If your residential status changes and you become a non person (a term actually used by the bank to describe me), You then cannot apply for any other account (credit card, cheque, or savings) even with the same bank you are currently with.....so far we have managed without, but come pensionable age, well who knows what new dilemas we may face?
vaha is offline   Reply With Quote