Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11   #1

Do Not Pass GO!

I feel like all my life I have been drifting. And, now that I know what I want to do I will never have enough money or ability to do what I want. I feel like Cinderella minus the Fairy Godmother, which is fairly disturbing for a guy. I know that I want to be on a boat. I know that I want to sail from place to place staying about 4 – 6 months at a location. While there working, living, and discovering. I just don’t know how to get started. All I have is a dream.

I currently live in Colorado, also known as the furthest away from a large body of water that I have ever been and for the longest period of time. As long as it is legal I don’t care what I do for a living or where (although, a lot closer to an ocean would help). I will be saving up my money and if all goes well I may be able to put some money down on a boat (looking at $20,000 to about $30,000). Part of me does think that this is possible though, the other part remembers that I am not what you would call a lucky man. I have no degree only a willingness to learn, and the humility to ask when I don’t understand something.
So, why the rambling? It seems to me that the economy of today is such that it really takes 2 incomes to be able to make anything happen. So unless I somehow duplicate myself or the clouds part and the angels sing and I find a significant other that actually has a similar dream as mine. How do I get started?

Thanks for reading.
Scott
WhereAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:25   #2

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Re: Do Not Pass GO!

Great ramblings. My husband and I are working towards retiring to a boat in 3 years, we are just both so lucky to have the same likes and desires, but that is what brought us together 32 years ago in the first place.
Good luck on the clouds parting.

On the positive side, if you are by yourself, you won't need as big a boat. That'll save you dollars.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Best thing I could suggest is to set a reasonable, achievable goal. There is the school of thought in the cruising world, I believe started by the Pardeys that says "Go small but go now"

So instead of a new 40' boat with fancy amenities buy an older 30' boat without all the (expensive to buy and more expensive to maintain and repair) bells and whistles. If, as you say, you are willing to learn, then learn how to work on your own boat. Costs a very small fraction of what you would pay a professional but will take a lot of your time.

Next thing, keep your boat in an area where it's less expensive. Stay away from South Florida or New England. Gulf coast is not bad, north FL, Chesapeake are options.

With $20-$30 K all that is doable and you don't have to clone yourself.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:42   #4

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

If you really want to do this, stop finding reasons that you can't and just do it. Don't encumber yourself with debt. Don't waste money that takes you away from your goal (eating out, Starbucks-my downfall, movie tickets, etc) and live as cheaply as possible while socking everything else away.

I've met folks cruising on the tiniest of budgets on little boats and people with huge, custom built yachts with money to burn ot cruising. The big boat people don't seem any happier than the little boat people.

If you want to do this, you can unless you write your own self fulfilling prophesy of failure. Keep your eye on the prize and realize this is not an overnight plan. Even people flush with cash find that getting a boat ready- even a brand new custom one takes time.

If you are single and unattached, you are in luck. With no family restraints you can work 2 jobs and sock the extra money away. it just depends on how badly you want to do this and how hard you are willing to work for it. I'd say if you don't have the stomach to make the sacrifices necessary to do this and for the huge amount of work to make it happen, you probably wouldn't be happy with all the work that a boat requires.

So how to get started? Cut your lifestyle, live as cheaply as you can, work as hard as you can and save, save, save.

best of luck to you. I hope to be reading in 2-3 years all about the boat you just purchased.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57   #5

Boat: too many

Scott,

I feel what you are going through. Ever since reading about Robin Graham in NatGeo in the late 60's I've had the same dream. Thought I could combine the dream with a means to earn a living, went back to school (CMA) and graduated with a BS in Marine Transportation and my Unlimited Tonnage USCG license. Sailed the world, but it isn't the same, not my schedule, choice of destinations, and 32,000 ton ship is just too different from my dream. Currently retired with enough funds to cruise the rest of my life, but am taking care of my 93 year old dad. If you have no strings holding you back, just get out and do it. Many passage capable boats are out there for less than $20K. Or, if you prefer the Sugar Momma route, there are many female solo sailors out there that might consider you as a deckhand. If your a good deckhand, they might promote you to Mate. I'm part of a FaceBook group, SSSM, and in that group the single female solo sailors outnumber the single male solo sailors about 2 to 1.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Scott, I know you don't really expect an anonymous forum to give you the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (i.e. how to sail away now). With $30,000 you can certainly set yourself up with a good monohull in the 28-35 foot range. Live as modestly as possible, save every penny, and buy a small, sound, and simple craft ... stuff you already know.

I am lucky enough to have a partner who also embraces the plan. We are two years away from sailing away. We've spent the last 3 years enhancing our skills, and investing in our boat/home. We are a bit better off than you, but not much. We too will be sailing away with few financial resources, and therefore need to generate cash along the way.

The thing to know deep in your soul is that your goal is doable, and reasonable.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18   #7

Hey Mike, how are things going? I want old pop to live to at least 100, so you will be getting out before me by many years. Just hope you stay cruising so we can hook up and do some sailing buddy boat style. Do you have an itch for NZ, I got a bit tired of trying to get to know folks in a 2nd language with me conversing at a 5 year old level.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Hey Mike, how are things going? I want old pop to live to at least 100, so you will be getting out before me by many years. Just hope you stay cruising so we can hook up and do some sailing buddy boat style. Do you have an itch for NZ, I got a bit tired of trying to get to know folks in a 2nd language with me conversing at a 5 year old level.
Hi Bob, always great to hear from you. I don't want to hijack the thread too badly, so I sent you a PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:27   #9

Mike,

Scott hasn't been back, so a mild hijack. I keep having to save my PM correspondence to my email client because for some unknown reason, CF limits you to 50. I've had to clear them out a dozen times at least.

Where I start my next cruise depends on where I buy my next boat. Bought the Cal40 in Long Beach, so have done the Sea of Cortez. I have changed my mind at least 4 times in the last year as to the kind of boat I want. "Hecla" just sold out of Oakland not far from me and the last asking price was $285K. I would give up the luxury of a condo-cat in the same price range for a boat that fast. It is a Chris White tri called Hammerhead.

Now back on track, Scott, if you want to meet a lot of solo sailing gals, ask zeehag to join SSSM. (Single Solo Sailors......and the last part)
Old 11-06-2012, 13:42   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

There is a guy here (drives a tug part time I think) with a boat in the keys that I bet he will let you fix up.

Can't remember his name...........

Maybe he will come along or somone else will point him out.

You might be able to leave next week if you have a few grand and the rest is true.
Old 11-06-2012, 14:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
... "Hecla" just sold out of Oakland not far from me and the last asking price was $285K. I would give up the luxury of a condo-cat in the same price range for a boat that fast. It is a Chris White tri called Hammerhead.
As I've said before Bob, me and my old Rafiki-37 would love to buddy-boat with you and your floating condo -- which ever one you settle on. Either way, yours will be the party boat .

For the OP, Scott: you haven't said what kind of sailing experience you have. Enhancing your skills, and experiencing a number of boats, is always a good idea. Colorado is probably not the place to be for this. Perhaps a move back to big water? Get cosy with a yacht club. People are often looking for crew.
Old 11-06-2012, 14:35   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAway View Post

(...) I have been drifting (...)

(...) I will never have enough money (...)

(...) I feel like Cinderella minus (...)

(...) fairly disturbing for a guy. (...)

(...) it really takes 2 incomes to be able to make anything happen.

How do I get started?
Hi Scott,

I think maybe you can get started where you stop seeing things as impossible / negative / minus / disturbing / etc..

Getting a boat and going places can be done. I did it and countless others did it. If your urge is strong enough, you will do it, no matter what.

If you want specifics, then I think this is the most often practiced way:
- make sure the dream is big enough, so to say: it is THE dream,
- draw a plan,
- divide the plan into discrete steps,
- go for it,
- revise the plan at time intervals to:
a) check progress and
b) make plan adjustments

Then this goes in circles, till one gets results.

Much depends on what you are, where you are. Colorado sounds like a great location, the rest is up to you.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 15:27   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAway View Post
I feel like all my life I have been drifting. And, now that I know what I want to do I will never have enough money or ability to do what I want...................
................................ I don’t care what I do for a living or where
........................... How do I get started?

Thanks for reading.
Scott
It's not my purpose to present a harsh recommendation, but these selected phrases from your post are glaring. Most people find that they need to spend about half of their lifetime engaged in some activity that earns them money. It might be most important to answer your question, "How so I get started?" by caring a great deal in what you do for a living. Most people who achieve their goals have a focus on some vocation that inspires them.
Old 11-06-2012, 15:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As I've said before Bob, me and my old Rafiki-37 would love to buddy-boat with you and your floating condo -- which ever one you settle on. Either way, yours will be the party boat .
If the time would have been right for me on Hecla, your boat would have about as much room for entertaining. I think only 3 or 4 Hammerheads were built, so maybe I'll be ready for the next one on the market.
Old 11-06-2012, 15:54   #15

Boat: Traditional 30

The reason I havent bought a nice55 inch plasma or led tv and still live with an old CRT 26 inch jobby is that the $500 -1000 I would spend on the tv, would pay for a tender or part of a new main or hauling and antifouling- anything boat related really. But I live with less now and that money can go into buying the cruising boat. Its just about priorities.

I will ultimately be after something for blue water. But a mere 20k will get you a 30 footer you can call home and do coastal trips.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote