Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 20:25   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

I chartered with bluewater sailing in Marina Del Rey. Not the best or most efficient outfit and several times our preferred and booked boat wasnt available when we arrived but they have personality and aren't too expensive.

Good luck.

+1 about Marina Sailing. Marina del Rey is a bit more quiet than Long Beach or LA Harbor so may be easier to sail. I know people have taken lessons there & liked them. Looks like they have places in many areas in the SoCal area. I've included the website for their locations.

http://www.marinasailing.com/contact.php

Too late for us too, surfzombo13, I live here too. It's do-able. Live aboard is still cheaper than having in an apartment and have a boat too.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 05:24   #47

Re: Do Not Pass GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I chartered with bluewater sailing in Marina Del Rey. Not the best or most efficient outfit and several times our preferred and booked boat wasnt available when we arrived but they have personality and aren't too expensive.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
+1 about Marina Sailing. Marina del Rey is a bit more quiet than Long Beach or LA Harbor so may be easier to sail. I know people have taken lessons there & liked them. Looks like they have places in many areas in the SoCal area. I've included the website for their locations.

http://www.marinasailing.com/contact.php

Too late for us too, surfzombo13, I live here too. It's do-able. Live aboard is still cheaper than having in an apartment and have a boat too.
Thanks, Ex-Calif & Sailor g. Years ago I checked them out and almost went with them, but didn't follow through. Maybe this time.....
surfzombo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 05:29   #48

Thanks, Ex-Calif & Sailor g. Years ago I almost went with them, but didn't follow through. Maybe this time....
surfzombo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 12:54   #49

Boat: Skookum 53'

I echo the sentiment of, if you are serious about going to sea, then leave CO. and get to the coast, start walking the docks and boatyards for work, and the right boat will present itself when you are ready. Your area is geographically undesirable for an ocean going life.
Old 14-06-2012, 16:23   #50

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
There is a guy here (drives a tug part time I think) with a boat in the keys that I bet he will let you fix up.

Can't remember his name...........

Maybe he will come along or somone else will point him out.

You might be able to leave next week if you have a few grand and the rest is true.

I was wrong.

He is on another forum. Can't say which one here.

But I bet if you go to Key West and seek out where the tug boat drivers hang out you will be able to find him.
Old 15-06-2012, 09:00   #51

Again, Thank you all for the posts.

Here are my plans for sailing.

The lease on my apt doesn't end until April 17 2013. That has to end first. But, in the mean time I will pay off my car (it only has a few thousand left on it) then save every penny for either a boat purchase or financing a boat. If I include the sale of my car I should have about $8,000 to $10,000 in cash. I would like something in the 35' to 40' range (this next part is going to KILL any chance of romantic involvement with the opposite sex ) So I can pick up my mom and go sailing with her. Yes, I would rather sail with a wife but, my mom doesn't have much money and this is the easiest way I can think of to make sure she is safe and healthy.

I am still not specifically locked to any particular coast although being on the west coast would be easier for getting my mom. I am actually thinking of California. I should be able to get an entry level programming job that would cover all my bills.

I wish you all

Fair Winds and Calm Seas

Scott
WhereAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:37   #52

Any girl would be lucky to meet you. A guy who is nice & respects his mom will respect her. If you are looking at California you will need a job. It's expensive- the tax is high. It is cheaper in Northern Cal and programming jobs should be easier to get. Have you worked in programming before? It's cold up there though!
Old 18-06-2012, 06:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Any girl would be lucky to meet you. A guy who is nice & respects his mom will respect her. If you are looking at California you will need a job. It's expensive- the tax is high. It is cheaper in Northern Cal and programming jobs should be easier to get. Have you worked in programming before? It's cold up there though!
Sorry for the late reply Sailor G, I was a little busy this entire weekend. I have done a little work in programming (creating databases for a company and things of that sort, but my experience is a bit out of date so I am learning the latest version of Microsoft's C#). As far as Northern California being cold... I lived for almost 20 years in Anchorage, Alaska. I've seen cold. I don't know who I pissed-off but I was sent to Fairbanks Alaska (350 miles north of Anchorage) in January. I got off the plane and it was -40 F. That is a different kind of cold most people haven't experienced.
Thanks for the compliment about women being lucky to meet me. I have no illusions about this being a VERY tough sell. Sample conversation below.

Me: We have been on a few dates now I would love to take you to Catalina for the weekend. Oh, By the way my mom lives on the boat with me.

Her: You know I just remembered I have a paper due for my boss on Monday. I'll have to take a rain check.

Me: You're self -employed!!
WhereAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 22:04   #54

The nice thing about CF is it's so laid back- there's no real "late". We all live by the mañana motto- except my boss. It's more "yes, you gotta be on time, yes, you gotta wear clothes. Bosses are such a drag!

You may have a conversation or two like that but the one that enjoys your mom and sailing will weed out the ones that will waste your time & break your heart. Keep looking for the right one for you- or right enough- no one's perfect.
Old 18-06-2012, 22:15   #55

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

So how does your mom look?

I'm kidding, don't you dare answer.