Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46   #46

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Re: Do I need AC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Google " portable stand alone air conditioners" lots of options.
Bingo...Wuz going to write this anyway, but reading the whole thread first and fishin4 hit it.

Have a look at this particular portable: Haier 8,000 BTU portable AC-CPRB08XCJ at The Home Depot , Haier 8,000 BTU portable AC, Model # CPRB08XCJ, or one similar to it (there are several others in 10/12/14K BTU sizes). That link is for HoDep's, but they don't usually have them in stock; got one at Target ( Haier 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner : Target ) for quite a bit less, YBL, (special deal).

I chose this model and capacity for my 28'/~220+-(?) sq ft interior sized boat after a long search, because of its small size and usable shape, compared to others available.
It's ~24"H x 17"W x 13"D, and weighs ~58lbs; 115V, 6.3A = 724.5W (@12.5V, 58A, +inverter losses ; although I think it pulls somewhat less in normal operation.
A bigger boat, bump up the BTU's and size a bit, but this cabinet style doesn't seem to be as bulky as the others (I had a place picked out for it, YMMV).
They all exhaust heated air externally through a duct (5"-8" dia. supplied, another shape can be fitted too (sq or rect duct, w/slightly upsized cross-sect); to exit a port, hatch, or vent , per your req's).

This unit has a lot of good features like a remote, auto-restart on pwr loss, 3 modes, 3 fan speeds, 24hr timer, self-evap (marginal in sea level SoTX), quiet, etc. Whether it holds up to the salty for more than a few years, who knows? I always do a basic maintenance routine on all A/C units anyway.

This year I'm going to get it semi-permanently mounted in an out of the way location, with kind of a 'plug-in' arrangement (mounting and ductwork) to facilitate a quick demount and temporary storage when getting underway. And the boat doesn't have near the electrical chops to run it away from the dock, yet... Plus a boom tarp/tent to ease the hellacious insolation load here .
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:54   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
Bingo...Wuz going to write this anyway, but reading the whole thread first and fishin4 hit it.

Have a look at this particular portable: Haier 8,000 BTU portable AC-CPRB08XCJ at The Home Depot , Haier 8,000 BTU portable AC, Model # CPRB08XCJ, or one similar to it (there are several others in 10/12/14K BTU sizes). That link is for HoDep's, but they don't usually have them in stock; got one at Target ( Haier 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner : Target ) for quite a bit less, YBL, (special deal).

I chose this model and capacity for my 28'/~220+-(?) sq ft interior sized boat after a long search, because of its small size and usable shape, compared to others available.
It's ~24"H x 17"W x 13"D, and weighs ~58lbs; 115V, 6.3A = 724.5W (@12.5V, 58A, +inverter losses ; although I think it pulls somewhat less in normal operation.
A bigger boat, bump up the BTU's and size a bit, but this cabinet style doesn't seem to be as bulky as the others (I had a place picked out for it, YMMV).
They all exhaust heated air externally through a duct (5"-8" dia. supplied, another shape can be fitted too (sq or rect duct, w/slightly upsized cross-sect); to exit a port, hatch, or vent , per your req's).

This unit has a lot of good features like a remote, auto-restart on pwr loss, 3 modes, 3 fan speeds, 24hr timer, self-evap (marginal in sea level SoTX), quiet, etc. Whether it holds up to the salty for more than a few years, who knows? I always do a basic maintenance routine on all A/C units anyway.

This year I'm going to get it semi-permanently mounted in an out of the way location, with kind of a 'plug-in' arrangement (mounting and ductwork) to facilitate a quick demount and temporary storage when getting underway. And the boat doesn't have near the electrical chops to run it away from the dock, yet... Plus a boom tarp/tent to ease the hellacious insolation load here .
We picked up the 12k btu version of the Haier last summer when our old marine unit was getting near the end.

It's OK but the one big downside is it wastes a lot cooling power because it dumps heat by taking cabin air and pumping it outside. As a result, it doesn't do as well dehumidifing as it is always pulling in air from outside.

It was a fraction of the cost of a marine unit so it was worth the experiment and it still does a decent job.

If you can find a twin tube version, that should work much better. One tube draws outside air and then vents the same air out the other tube.

Otherwise it's a great improvement over the marine unit. No cleaning the strainer and condensation is atomized into the outgoing air flow, so no condensator hassles.

Window units don't have this issue but they look butt ugly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57   #48

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

When you say boom tent do y'all mean something like this? Thinking about having him make me 2....in the forward deck, I'll just suspend it over, because of the lack of "boom".

Boom Tent O N s A L E You Pick Your Own Color 8 x 10 | eBay
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

On a per watt-hour basis, shore power is going to be less expensive for keeping your batteries topped up than running a generator or your engines alternator. Remember that not only are you burning Diesel, you are also putting wear and tear on a relatively expensive marine generator or Diesel engine. Diesels don't last as long when lightly loaded either.

If you really detest the idea of being on shore power then consider a large solar array and a large bank of batteries.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15   #50

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerodrig27 View Post
... I'd grab an inverter generator...
Be careful about sizing the generator to the air conditioner because of inrush current requirements. When you start up an air conditioner, it takes extra power to energize the magnetic fields and to start turning the compressor because of the weight of the internal parts. Another problem with sizing is that when an air conditioner, refrigerator, or anything that creates vibration on start up can jiggle the thermostats on these various items to start at the same time if the thermostats are close to start up temperatures. I suppose time delay relays with different settings could get around this, but I have never heard of its being done. A Yamaha EF2800i inverter generator of 2800 watts is reported to be large enough to start a 13,500 BTU air conditioner as reported on rv.net and the cost is about $1500. Here is some information from the Yamaha site on sizing a generator: Generator Sizing Chart - Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

By the way, a RV type AC is easy to setup. There are heavy duty foam strips with adhesive on one side that are placed around the edge of the 14 inch square hole on an RV to take care of any irregularities in shape of the roof. Two layers can be used if needed which I had to use since my fiberglass American Clipper RV had a shape requiring the AC to be set higher to clear the fiberglass upturn over the cab. You then go inside, put the cover against the roof which contains the air direction vents and electrical controls and run bolts up to the air conditioner. Everything is held securely in place. Before doing an installation, make sure sails clear the AC, dinghy, and that you can work around it while on deck
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:29   #51

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

An RV park and a marina AC power systems are likely to suffer from low voltage which can burn up an air conditioner motor. The RV type air conditioners are made to operate over a wide voltage range, and if the voltage does go too low, the air conditioner shuts down to protect itself. If I remember correctly, the Dometic I bought did shutdown on low voltage.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 17:21   #52

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post

Have a look at this particular portable: Haier 8,000 BTU portable AC-CPRB08XCJ at The Home Depot , Haier 8,000 BTU portable AC, Model # CPRB08XCJ, or one similar to it (there are several others in 10/12/14K BTU sizes). That link is for HoDep's, but they don't usually have them in stock; got one at Target ( Haier 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner : Target ) for quite a bit less, YBL, (special deal). . .
I had one of these stand-alone models and it just did not function inside a sailboat. The unit has a 7" diameter exhaust hose (like a clothes dryer hose) that needs to be exhausted to outside the cabin.

I had two problems, the hose diameter is not standard in the US (at least Home Depot and Lowes did not carry hose this size) and the hose is only about 5 feet long. There is a limit of how far "up" the hose can go before exhausting to the outside and that distance was half of what the distance from my cabin sole to nearest porthole measured. So I had to put the unit up on a box or elevated platform to get it so that the hose would reach to a porthole. That proved too tippy and unstable for safety.

And then the actual cooling air produced was insufficient to cool even the main cabin - and I had bought a 11,500BTU model. So I gave it away and purchased a classical window unit - same btu's - and mounted that in the overhead hatch with triangle boards. Now I have to turn down the hatch unit as it freezes us out.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 18:35   #53

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

valhalla360,
I've thought of dismantling it and fitting the A/C parts in a custom box to solve those problems, that's way down 'the list' though. Agree slapping a window unit box on the coachroof is butt ugly, but they are even cheaper and more efficient.

AirBoyzT,
I was just thinking a cheap MalWart expendable silver plastic tarp for openers. Those ones you linked are nice and durable though. My marina is a more commercial harbor, so I don't think there's an 'image' problem like an upscale yottie slip would have.

David M,
Solar panels and the 'etc's' are definitely on 'the list' of boat improvements for me.

ossirissail,
That's why I was thinking of providing a different ducting, and a heavy duty mounting for it. They aren't inherently as effective, or efficient, as a window unit slapped on deck (like a fireplace, they pull exterior air in as they vent, and the duct radiates heat too); but I didn't want to work around a box hanging up there. I only use it for short-term spells anyway, not lvabd.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 19:18   #54

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.

Phew! Whats an airconditioner? Heard about such luxuries but never seen one. Frankly whilst living aboard we anchored out in the breezes (if there were any) and made do. Fiji in summer is hot! But with boom tent, wind scoops and plenty of swims we coped. A lot depends on your lifestyle cos living aboard really doesn't lend itself to an airconditioner whilst on the pick but if weekending or staying in marinas they are probably a lovely idea.
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:21   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Willow View Post
................. A lot depends on your lifestyle cos living aboard really doesn't lend itself to an airconditioner whilst on the pick but if weekending or staying in marinas they are probably a lovely idea.
"A lot depends on your lifestyle..." and of course your location. I think Willow has the best answer here. While we were living at the dock in Florida and off to work each weekday AC was essential. At the same time, when we were cruising the Bahamas during summer vacation we did not miss the AC. On the hook with a breeze and little clothing doesn't compare with at the dock and dressed for the "office".
Old 05-03-2014, 04:58   #56

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Spent lots of $s to fully AC my boat in preparation for living aboard in Texas. AC is not a luxury there - its life support.

Rarely use the system here in the W Carib, except when in a Marina.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 13:39   #57

Boat: 75 Dufour 31

On the dock, where it's much hotter, we use a small window unit in the companionway! We found a mesh type boom tent at Harbor Freight cheep that seems to work well at the dock or on the hook for our Dufour 31!
danseurduvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:31   #58

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

We live aboard in Townsville where it can get bloody hot and very humid. I use a portable AC during the warmer months, and it lives just outside the companionway in the cockpit. It makes life a lot easier, is quick and easy to leave on the dock while we go for a sail, and it cost not a lot. A canvas cover over it and the companionway helps funnel the cool air into the boat, and took my neighbour about an hour to sew. An AC = a good nights sleep, and a good nights sleep is a lovely thing. T
tonysail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 20:36   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
Is AC something I should strongly consider? Or will I be ok with fans blowing about the cabin.
A big box fan is $20-30. An 8,000 BTW air conditioner is about $300. I'd probably just start with a fan and see how that worked.

That being said, I have a portable stand-up unit near the head that's ducted out a hatch. It works GREAT but you have to push it out of the way to use the head!
b.forbort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:10   #60

If you are able to make ice, this may be an option for someone? You can just freeze a gallon of water and reuse over and over again.

This is the very basic version.

windycityxx is offline   Reply With Quote