Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 18:14   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Do Dust Busters Work?

Are these things just more junk to carry around? Will they pick up sand etc.? Most importantly, do they last very long?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:25   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Do Dust Busters work?

Never had a Dust Buster Brand of little vacume. But we do use a Minkota(spl?) Recharable Vacume that works great ! It's the same Battery as our other power tools,28 Volt, and charges with our Inverter system just fine. They are not as good as a larger 110 volt Vacumes but it works well enough to keep Connie happy and it's at least 8 yrs old
Old 10-04-2013, 18:38   #3

Boat: Sabre 42

I have the inexpensive Ryobi that uses the same batteries as their line of +ONE tools. Seems to do well picking up sand and small debris. Battery life is limited to a couple of minutes of continuous use.
Old 10-04-2013, 18:44   #4

We have a filterstream at home and love it, it worked really well but after 7 years the rechargable battery is going... I feel we got our money's worth though. Hopefully we will be able to replace the battery.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 19:02   #5

Boat: csy 37

it's a toy.

get the small shop vac - sells for about $25 in most stores. mine runs off my 700w inverter but i think it only needs 550w. very powerful. will even suck up water if necessary. try that with a dust buster....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 19:14   #6

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
it's a toy.

get the small shop vac - sells for about $25 in most stores. mine runs off my 700w inverter but i think it only needs 550w. very powerful. will even suck up water if necessary. try that with a dust buster....
Ditto! I got one at home depot for 28 bucks. Wet/Dry Vac and runs off a 400w inverter just fine. Small enough to store in them lazerette thingys, or in v-berth closet. Works just fine
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 19:26   #7

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

I like the DeWalt DC515K 18v cordless wet/dry portable vac. It is also smaller and has stronger suction then the DC500 I had. I probably never would have tried them, but I already use several 18v DeWalt tools.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 19:38   #8

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Are these things just more junk to carry around? Will they pick up sand etc.? Most importantly, do they last very long?
I picked up an Oreck 12-volt dust-buster and like it. I'd had one of the rechargeable 110 ones and passed it along to a 40'er. This is easier -- simply plug into a cigarette lighter and go. Mine does pick up sand, dirt, beads (don't ask) and fur with ease. It doesn't pick up water. The Oreck draws 9 amps on start up and then about 7.

Prior to the original dust-buster I'd used a dust broom but frankly, it just didn't work as well as I wanted -- basically it did pick up but not under edges -- and that's where dirt collects.

Is a 12-volt powered unit worth the space aboard? I think so. Not so much the 110 units because of battery charging issues. And, you can get a car vacuum for pretty cheap too, or free (try Freecycle or Craigslist) ... good luck!
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 21:10   #9

Boat: Townson 46

Do yourself a favour and get a Dyson.

Seriously.

They are so much better than the rest in every way. Vastly better suction, Li battery so much lighter, better plastic, better design for cleaning and and much better battery life
salient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 21:12   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I've had several brand name, Black and Decker Dust Busters over the years, usually got them as gifts. In my opinion they're junk unless they have dramatically improved in the last 3-4 years. The built in batteries are cheap and after about a year will no longer hold a charge and cost more than the thing is worth to replace. Plus they have barely enough suction to pick up a feather.

Other small vacuums may be better but I completely agree with getting a small shop vac. Way more power and they last a lot longer. I have three different size Rigids from Home Depot and they're great tools. One I have had one for about ten years and have abused it seriously and it has never missed a lick.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 21:35   #11

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by salient View Post
Do yourself a favour and get a Dyson.

Seriously.

They are so much better than the rest in every way. Vastly better suction, Li battery so much lighter, better plastic, better design for cleaning and and much better battery life
I second this. The regular dust buster type things of various brands never did well and didn't last long. If not a Dyson then a small shop vac. I need both to manage Labrador tumbleweeds.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 21:43   #12

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We used a dust bust, and although it wasn't perfect, it came in handy working for most of our jobs. I still have one on board.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 22:28   #13
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
I have a battery Dyson and a love it for day to day cleaning.
I have a small inverter run shopvac for the wet stuff.

Would not be without either of them.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:33   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Just looked at the Dyson on Amazon. $99 refurbished was the least expensive deal.
Problem is, the first 6 reviews spoke of poor battery life. Most said 5 min. max.
Guess that would do for light daily chores but wouldn't want to recharge from zero each time I used it. Dyson owners, familiar with this?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:49   #15

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Dust Busters are crap. We use a Dewalt wet/dry shop vac that can run off 120v or off the 18v battery from my Dewalt right angle cordless drill. Best of both worlds and can take standard vacuum attachments. It does not come with the battery or charger but these two tools are the most used power tools on our boat so I consider the set a great investment.

Vacuum will run about 15 min. on an 18v battery pack. It can also run on a 12 or 14 volt pack but you will take a performance hit.

DeWALT 2 Gallon Cordless or Corded Wet/Dry Vac

DeWALT Heavy-Duty 3/8'' 18V Cordless Right Angle Drill/Driver Kit
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote