Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Do Dust Busters Work?

I agree with TheOffice. My "car" vacuum is over
20 years old. It's got an extra long cord on it
and plugs into a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug
and it is powerful enough for most jobs on my
boat and it still is working.

Mine's also a Black and Decker.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ribeye.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:55   #32

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I have a Ryobi wet/dry 18 volt " dust buster" I don't use it for liquids but with the lithium ion batteries I can do my whole boat with no worries that it is going to run out of juice. and it runs full blast until the batteries are dead. If you need cordless tools its much cheaper to buy them in kits. And its so nice not to have to worry about cords.

sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 14:02   #33
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Concur that 18V Li-ion is the only way to go wrt dust busters. Pay the extra, you won't regret it.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 14:19   #34

Boat: Gemini 3200

Like TheOffice and Jongleur I have a 12V Black and Decker Dust Buster that is going on 20 years old. It still works fine. Unfortunately, the new 12V vacuum cleaners don't work quite as well. They have baffles incorporated which allows them to pick up small liquid spills so they can be labeled "wet or dry". The baffles make cleaning more difficult and don't really give you much "wet" capacity.

I have had several cordless vacuums over the years and been dissatisfied with all of them. They are convenient for cleaning up a small mess but lack sufficient battery life to clean an entire car or boat.

Lithium ion batteries are much better than the old nickel-cadmium rechargeables but they still can't compare with the power available to you from a 100 amp-hour lead acid battery.

fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 14:26   #35
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34

You will need 110 to charge this, but this one really works good. The motorized brush roller really gets it done. Lots of power!!! - Shark Pet Perfect II Hand Vac (SV780) - Household Handheld Vacuums
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 15:03   #36

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I have the shop vac head that goes on a 5G bucket, works great in the ER and bilges.

But for day-to-day use, we got a small vac for something like $25-$35 at a big-box store. Similar to this model.

It's almost like a hand-held car vac, but has a long (removable) handle and a few different nozzles so you can sort of use it like a full-sized upright. Takes just a few seconds to plug it in, use it and put it away. We use it all the time. I tried to find a picture on line but

Both run off the inverter, I've never found 12V vacuums to work very well.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: