Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 18:03   #16

Boat: Various
Re: Do Crew Need their own Room?

Interesting to follow this and hear from the sail side. On the power side it would be a given, but then seldom does a power boat have crew unless it's at least 60'.

I would agree than young and fancy free probably doesn't matter, but older crew I'd think wouldn't want to sleep like they did when they were 18 and begging for anything.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:24   #17
cruiser

Not to mention that the crew probably will come in two distinct flavors: young enough to provide the muscle and old enough to know how to use muscle.

The second variety may have medical issues that you don't want to watch.

YOU might be more comfortable if they have their own stateroom.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 19:15   #18

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

That 8yo is going to want privacy in about 4 years so I wouldn't remove her space.

As for fussy crew, there are plenty of people who aren't.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:59   #19

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Do crew need their own room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Curious though, why would you take crew on for such an extended time?
I guess that's what I've seen other people do, and what I did last time. Once we settled into a groove with someone, it was natural for them to stay a long time. I had one person from Rarotonga to Malaysia (~1 year), another from Samoa to Bali (8 months?), another from Darwin to Singapore (4 months)?

I haven't had anyone join the boat by hopping on a plane. A few have said they would, then change their mind at the last moment. Crew is generally someone who is already there. So I figure it's better, if we want help for the longer passages through the Pacific, to find someone who will stay the whole time.

I know lots of folks get crew for just Panama to Marquessas, and the crew flys away from the Marquessas or Tahiti. But have you guys had any luck with getting someone to, say, fly into Fiji for the trip to New Zealand? Tickets to those places are so expensive.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:56   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Interesting, unusual in my experience, but whatever works for you is best for you.

After a week or two at most, even with good friends aboard as guests, we are usually ready to have our space back.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:59   #21

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

The point I was trying to make is that captain grows tired of crew and vice versa. Not that they fly out but change boats. That was my experience as well as what I witnessed on other boats. Maybe I and some others were just cranky:-). I know two crew members that I kicked off in Tahiti hopped on another boat to New Caledonia and when I met up with them there we all realized that we should have stuck it out as they got on a not so fun boat and I replaced them with one good crew and one very very bad crew. I did find a crew willing to pay her way from Tonga to Tahiti to get on the boat, although I wound up paying a part of that airfare as she had to fly via Australia and picked up a major boat part for me.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:09   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

many backpackers travel with RTW tickets so to pick up in tahiti or fiji and drop off in aus or nz will not cost them any more than they have all ready paid for their ticket.

generally find people get itchy feet after 2-3 months,though have had crew that stayed for 6!

also find with backpackers that they like to do a passage then go off traveling in the area, then find another yacht or fly,fiji is good for finding crew wanting to get to aus,vanuatu or nz.

my experince for what it is worth!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:44   #23

I think also as we talk power vs. sail we have to distinguish paid crew vs. non-paid. Power boats up to 60' if you have any crew it's much like sailing, just friends. They're guests, not being paid, but enjoying the trip with you. Sleeping arrangements then are based on whatever type relationships you have. Above 60' in power, crew is often paid. There the expectations on both sides are much different. They aren't going to normally bail on you part way. But then they also expect certain crew accommodations.

I know someone with a 60 Princess who likes to have a captain. The crew cabin on that boat is so bad that he never is able to get the same one twice.

But then that says too that on different boats people expect different conditions. If it's a 32' Trawler or sailboat, one should understand up front that sleeping arrangements are limited. If it's 200' they expect luxury even for crew.

There is no right or wrong on accommodations, just what one agrees to. I fully understand the experienced crew lady who said "no." But others might be fine with it.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:59   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think also as we talk power vs. sail we have to distinguish paid crew vs. non-paid. Power boats up to 60' if you have any crew it's much like sailing, just friends. They're guests, not being paid, but enjoying the trip with you. Sleeping arrangements then are based on whatever type relationships you have. Above 60' in power, crew is often paid. There the expectations on both sides are much different. They aren't going to normally bail on you part way. But then they also expect certain crew accommodations.

I know someone with a 60 Princess who likes to have a captain. The crew cabin on that boat is so bad that he never is able to get the same one twice.

But then that says too that on different boats people expect different conditions. If it's a 32' Trawler or sailboat, one should understand up front that sleeping arrangements are limited. If it's 200' they expect luxury even for crew.

There is no right or wrong on accommodations, just what one agrees to. I fully understand the experienced crew lady who said "no." But others might be fine with it.
Indeed. In any deal -- where two parties are trying to sell each other something, it pays to make what you offer as attractive as possible. That way you have a better chance of finding someone who is also offering something attractive to you.

If it were me, I would not leave my 8 year old child in a separate cabin and hope to find a useful crewman willing to sleep in a pilot berth. A pilot berth is a great place for an 8 year old child anyway. When I was 11 years old, I slept a whole summer in a little nook above the cab of a little camper with 5 other people while we traveled all over Europe and was blissfully happy.

To find a useful crewman I would offer reasonable accommodation, good company, good food and drink, and a fun trip. Then you can hope to have your choice of a few good folks who will enhance your trip in every way.

If on the other hand you are offering a pallet in the engine room and slops for food, say, what do you hope to get? It's an exchange like any other.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:18   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

they don't make crew like they used to.....................soft buggers these days imho...

Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 05:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
they don't make crew like they used to.....................soft buggers these days imho...

Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Advert
Perhaps todays crew is smarter than those olden days. The insist on safety and decent treatment. They don't put their lives at risk to accommodate someone else's unreasonable demands. The prepare better and manage risks more diligently. Many ways to look at it.

Honor in doing a truly necessary journey in difficult conditions. No honor in risking one's life unnecessarily and especially not the lives of others. Success on a rather stupid undertaking should get somewhat muted recognition.

Personally, I want my crew capable of handling dangerous situations but I also want them to be attentive to avoiding them. I want a captain who will say "no" when appropriate. I value good judgement equal to courage.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Perhaps todays crew is smarter than those olden days. The insist on safety and decent treatment. They don't put their lives at risk to accommodate someone else's unreasonable demands. The prepare better and manage risks more diligently. Many ways to look at it.

Honor in doing a truly necessary journey in difficult conditions. No honor in risking one's life unnecessarily and especially not the lives of others. Success on a rather stupid undertaking should get somewhat muted recognition.

Personally, I want my crew capable of handling dangerous situations but I also want them to be attentive to avoiding them. I want a captain who will say "no" when appropriate. I value good judgement equal to courage.
what! no floggings
Old 11-06-2014, 07:21   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
what! no floggings
Wifey B: maybe a little flogging just for you.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:49   #29

I'd happily take the pilot berth if it gave me experience. Shame I'm not local or I'd snap your hands off!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew