Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 12:19   #1

Boat: Moody 49
Dive Scuba compressor

I am looking to buy and install an electric compressor to service the needs of two recreational divers.

I want to secure this in my Moody 49 Lazarette.

Any advice on make and prices of suitable rigs gratefully received.

Second hand buying a definite option.

Thanks
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 12:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Dive Scuba compressor

Hi Mark,

There have been a few discussions on the forum about the different brands, relative merits of different models, etc. I think the consensus was for your size application, a small gas powered unit would be the best option. Takes a lot of AC power to run a compressor which means a large generator and small gas engines just have a lot more torque for the size and weight.

However, I think the last discussion I read was in the context of US 120V 60Hz electric and you have that funny 23-V 50Hz stuff so electric may be more feasible. Bauer compressors generally get high marks.

Another consideration, where are you cruising? Unless you plan on a lot of diving a long way from anywhere it is usually much cheaper to get tank fill from a local dive operation. Compressors do take a bit of maintenance, filter changes and such.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 12:34   #3

Boat: Moody 49

Thanks, I am not good with the searches although I did have a look.

Looking to cruise in the Med and Carib over a two or three year period so looking to be independent.

Have a big generator on board and I am happy with maint.

Have not come across gas powered compressors before.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 12:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dive Mate Compressor

Available with gas, diesel or electric.

Brownies in Florida specialize in diving equipment for yachts and technical diving. Not cheap stuff but good. Available in 50/60 Hz power. They used to base their system on Bauer compressors that they customized but haven't spoken with them in a few years so not sure about the current kit.

http://www.browniesmarinegroup.com/p..._tearsheet.pdf
Old 23-09-2015, 12:48   #5
cruiser

Mark,

Here's what we did on our boat which works out fine. I keep two filled bottles which only rarely get used with my diving gear. One hookah 12v system with a 100ft hose which is good to 50ft depth and can be used by two persons. The advantage of 12v is that if can be used remotely via the dinghy and you can take an extra battery to provide an extra hour or one full hour for two persons. Otherwise, I hire local dive companies for two tank group dives.

A compressor would be nice, but I can use our existing set up for several years before approaching the cost of the dive compressor.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 12:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If it's a slow day, here's links to a few previous discussions. Should keep you busy reading for an hour or three.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-77102.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sor-81224.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...boat-1428.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-104924.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ors-21979.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-board-31.html
Old 24-09-2015, 04:49   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450

Highly recommend the Bauer Jr with its single phase electric motor (220 or 100V). Its reliable, almost maintenance free, fills a tank in 15-20mins. We are very pleased with ours over the last 1.5yrs and many many dives. I personally wouldn't go for a gas powered unit but then I have the genset to support it.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 05:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you run into a deal on a US spec 60 hz compressor, it's no major hurdle to replace the motor with a Euro spec 220V 50 hz motor, of course US 220V is not the same as European 220V, US is just 2 110V power lines, whereas European is really 220V.
Take a big transformer to convert real 220V power to US spec 110v though, but I guess even that is do-able
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 17:26   #9

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mxa35/ma...ank-compressor

This is what I have. Works awesome. I dive sometimes 4 times a day. A lot of places you can't get to with your big boat so you gotta take dingy. And scuba shops are spread thin through out a lot of islands

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 20:31   #10

my advise is go gas. Yes you can do electric but they take a very long time to fill unless you get the ones that suck down allot of power and take a very long time to fill tanks unless you pay the money for a good one.

220v or gas is the way to go. So it depends on what you want to wire up. The 110 just don't cut it way slower so it depends on how much your time is worth and when it takes a long time to fill people tend to walk away which can be unsafe as you can overfill a tank I've seen it happen in dive shops when someone calls them as they were filling the tank.
haha49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 21:39   #11

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I've got a 220v Koltri compressor installed in a dedicated locker. It nice being able to leave it in the locker and not have another engine to maintain. If I didn't have a generator, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother with a dive compressor onboard, but that's a personal opinion I realize.

If you've got enough 220v I'd buy a 220v Bauer Jr. I've got a few friends with them and all are happy. Globally, parts availability for the Bauer's seems much better than the other manufacturers.

They are all insanely loud and I'm looking to relocate ours to the engine room similar to how SV Delos (another Amel Super Maramu) has done. That way it won't drive me mad screaming away in a locker in the cockpit.

It's been great for diving in out of the way locations, but we've used ours much less than we'd expected. Our friends with dive compressors have noted the same.

Good luck,
Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 00:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Well, you have had several options here. Since you are looking primarily at electric, then you must have a 9kw or bigger gen set. Assuming you do, I would go with a 220 motor instead of the 110. 220 draws a lot lower amps and allows you to install a pressure shutdown that turns off the motor at a set pressure. As for options, I suggest an hour meter, automatic condensate drains, a pressure shutdown and stainless steel mount and hardware.

The coolest system is the Brownie. Basically they start with a Bauer Jr II, strip it all apart, add on all the options listed above and mounts it on a fancy stainless steel plate and hooks it to a very nice electrical switching mechanism. HOWEVER, you are looking at almost five times the cost of the Coltri version.

Bauer Junior II is a very nice little compressor. In fact, it is the heart of the Brownie. However, Bauer doesn't offer the options on that model so you have to step up to the DiveMate. Big dollars and serious overkill for two divers.

Coltri MCH6 is probably the simplest of the compressors. Anyone that can change spark plugs on their car can work on one of these. It has a worldwide dealer network and there are several distributors that will ship anywhere in the world. This one is the best "bang for the buck" in breathing air compressors.

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 00:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcontrera View Post
Well, you have had several options here. Since you are looking primarily at electric, then you must have a 9kw or bigger gen set. Assuming you do, I would go with a 220 motor instead of the 110.
I'm a bit confused here....I just filled tanks last week with my Coltri MCH-6 (220V electric) running off my 5.5 KW generator?

Didn't seem to have any issues......please don't tell my generator it needs to be replaced with a 9 KW unit......it might ask for a raise in pay.
Old 30-09-2015, 02:53   #14
Marine Service Provider

Our electrical guru has always recommended 9kw or larger since it seems that a lot of the gen set makers regularly over promise the power output. I am sure your 5.5 is fine as long as you don't run other things at the same time.

Almost every electrical problem we have comes from boaters with 5, 6 & 7 kw gen sets. I had one customer that had a 6 kw and our soft start MCH6 MarinePak. He burned out three inverters before he admitted to having his battery charger come on while the air conditioning and compressor was running.

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 22:44   #15

Thanks Ray....I always forget that suppliers have to spec for the lowest common denominator. Yeah, I don't run the AC and the battery charger at the same time! I'm sure that being 220 helps as the inrush currents aren't quite as bad as 110v.

It's great to see there's a Pacific NW rep for Coltri. You've got a parts inquiry in your Inbox!

Regards,
Mark

Tags
compressor, Cuba, scuba