Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 19:20   #1

Disposing of sanitary napkin

Me and my family are planning to buy a cat and sail the 7 seas. My wife asked me a question about disposing sanitary napkins, flush or store em?

Thxz
playfair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 19:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Disposing of sanitary napkin

Don't even THINK of flushing ANY feminine hygiene product--and that includes wet wipes--or anything else that you haven't eaten first except for quick-dissolve TP unless you want to get a lot more intimately acquainted with both your toilet pump and the item that clogged it than you ever want to be. Feminine hygiene products--and anything else except quick-dissolve TP needs to be wrapped in TP and put into a ziplock sandwich bag and into the trash to be disposed of ashore (not over the side at sea, please...those things aren't good for marine life either).
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 20:42   #3

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Peg...You've unretired! Or was this one so egregious you just couldn't bear it?
Old 23-07-2012, 21:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

No I'm not "unretired"...just needed a "fix" so dropped by to see what y'all are up to..saw this one on the "recent discussions" list...and the next thing I knew I was typing!
Old 23-07-2012, 22:29   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Tampax bio-degradable. If that's the case, they would be a candidate for overboard disposal when offshore. The little critters will chew them right up or they will be eaten by bacteria. Definitely a no no in an anchorage, enclosed waters or coastal, however.

Assume that those that advertise miraculous absorbancy are synthetic and not suitable for bio-degrading. So it's a case of read the label for possible offshore disposal.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 23:11   #6

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

AFAIK you're not supposed to flush sanitary napkins when on shore either. So why does your wife expect to be able to do so on a yacht?
On yachts we just put a trash bag in the head, where everything that hasn't been eaten first goes in to (that includes toilet paper).
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 06:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

"Biodegradable" is a meaningless feel-good term used to mislead people thinking it means the same thing as "environmentally friendly"...it doesn't. Believe it or not, formaldehyde is biodegradable...would you want to feed that to the fishes?

This is from the Tampax website:

Tampax Flushable Cardboard has a flushable and biodegradable applicator with an Anti-Slip GripTM. It has an absorbent core designed to fit your unique shape, along with a LeakGuard® skirt to help stop leaks before they happen. Each tampon comes in a strong durable wrapper.
The Tampax Cardboard tampon, wrapper, AND applicator can be flushed in toilets connected to city sewer systems. Frequent flushing of tampons is not recommended for septic systems.
They’re made from a combination of cotton and rayon — rayon is a natural cellulose fiber found in trees, and it’s actually been used in tampons for more than 25 years! The overwrap, or covering over the tampon's absorbent material, is a common man-made fabric used in tampons, pads, and wipes.

"Biodegradable" or not, somehow I don't think nylon and cotton are very good for marine life digestion. Note that they say it's ok to flush tampons down toilets connected to sewers which go to sewage treatment plants, but not ok to put 'em into septic tanks. That's because sewage treatment plants use chemicals to break down "biodegradable" materials...it would have to dissolve on its own in a septic tank. And if you want to find out just how long THAT would take in sea water, put a used one in a jar full of it and find out.

That's my $.02 worth...and I've now had my online "fix"...I'm outa here till I need another one in a few months or never.
Old 24-07-2012, 06:51   #8

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Do NOT flush them!!
If you are going to spend anytime onboard at all, your wife should definitely investigate a Diva cup.It will make life soooo much better.

Men- do not Google this. This falls under things you do not wish to know.Trust me.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 06:57   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

NONE of that stuff goes down hole--ALL goes into a trash bag--specialty items need special wrapping so s not to gross folks out. do not flush anything you have not eaten nor drunk.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 07:16   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Why am I imagining a Gary Larson-style cartoon where there's a cruiser in the distance and in the foreground is one shark saying to another shark: "I dunno, Murray. Once a month I seem to come over all peckish".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 07:24   #11

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Food containers (empty Parmesan cheese, peanut butter jars, etc.) with lids make good depositories for items that smell.

The Dollar Tree offers diaper disposal bags (very thin plastic, baby powder scent) in boxes of 75 for a buck. The dog disposal bags aren't scented and only hold 50.... Put item in bag, tie knot, drop into container and close. When stuffed full (the bags make that part easier) put container in your trash for disposal ashore.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 13:00   #12

Thank you all for you words of wisdom.
playfair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 14:25   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Do NOT flush them!!
If you are going to spend anytime onboard at all, your wife should definitely investigate a Diva cup.It will make life soooo much better.

Men- do not Google this. This falls under things you do not wish to know.Trust me.

AAAAAARGH!! I couldn't resist
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote