Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2015, 14:27   #1

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Dinghy: to be or not to be - in the Med or

Boat is 54' LOA, draught is 8'.

I am trying to check if i can get along without it and its outboard engine, and reservoir, and rows...
Both below deck, and on it, they look horrible to me, and of little use unless you 'really' need it.... WHEN!?

so, do you think i can live without it, or will I be forced to accept reality!?
Has anyone tried that ?

I consider a kayak a partial summertime solution, possibly to check boat around.

Any other compelling reasons!? Do not mention provisioning or coastal patrols, please... :-)

Old 20-05-2015, 15:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Dinghy: to be or not to be - in the Med or

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Boat is 54' LOA, draught is 8'.

I am trying to check if i can get along without it and its outboard engine, and reservoir, and rows...
Both below deck, and on it, they look horrible to me, and of little use unless you 'really' need it.... WHEN!?

so, do you think i can live without it, or will I be forced to accept reality!?
Has anyone tried that ?

I consider a kayak a partial summertime solution, possibly to check boat around.

Any other compelling reasons!? Do not mention provisioning or coastal patrols, please... :-)
What is the "reservoir, and rows..." What are "they" that look horrible?
What does it mean to "check boat around"? Why is it wrong to mention provioning and what are coastal patrols?

Despite not understanding much of your post, I would say it's definitely possible to cruise without a dinghy and outboard. I've cleared customs on a sail board, but I've enjoyed cruising more with a dinghy that has an outboard.- not to mention provisioning!

Old 20-05-2015, 15:21   #3

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We wouldn't leave home without our dinghy. We use it for going ashore, exploring, visiting friends on other boats, etc.
Old 20-05-2015, 15:31   #4
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

when anchored how do you go in for beer without a dinghy
Old 20-05-2015, 15:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
What is the "reservoir, and rows..." What are "they" that look horrible?
What does it mean to "check boat around"? Why is it wrong to mention provioning and what are coastal patrols?

Despite not understanding much of your post, I would say it's definitely possible to cruise without a dinghy and outboard. I've cleared customs on a sail board, but I've enjoyed cruising more with a dinghy that has an outboard.- not to mention provisioning!
As a guess, English is not the OPs first language and:
reservoir = fuel tank?
rows = oars?
check boat around = move around the boat in the dinghy to check/clean the hull etc?
Old 21-05-2015, 00:33   #6

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

:-)
Reservoir = tank
Rows = oars
Sorry!

The smallest dinghy, folded, is something 4' long, 40+ lbs weight.
It takes time to get it ready and to put it away
I do not even consider the idea of having it on davits, or navigating trailing it astern
On deck, it looks like a funny impediment, at best.
Below deck, very disturbing.
Provisioning can not be an issue, in a boat of capacity.
In windy, rough seas situations, abandoning the ship to go ashore is not advisable.
Coastal patrol is not what a blue water ship is aimed at.

Inspecting the outer hull and bulkhead around, or taking a line ashore are the only reasons which come to my mind... or a show by Victoria Street ashore...

knowing that all others have it, I will ask for a ride... :-)

Again, am I missing some piece of information!?
Old 21-05-2015, 02:38   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post

Again, am I missing some piece of information!?
Thanks for the clarification.

No, I don't think your missing anything. As others have done before, it's certainly possible to cruise without a dinghy. Many do like the convenience of a quick visit to shore, but, as you said, the size of your boat negates the frequent provisioning need. At the times that I cruised without a dinghy, I did have a sail board or paddle board that was more for play than shore access, but it could do the job.
Old 21-05-2015, 03:42   #8

54 feet and worried about the space a dinghy takes up, mmmm. 8 feet draft and another 3 feet under that will keep you out of some lovely village ports and anchored out wondering about the wonderful night life. a dinghy is another convenient thing that allows you to enjoy anchoring without being isolated. This is not much of an issue in Spain, France and Italy, but Greece and Turkey: so many wonderful bays.
Old 21-05-2015, 03:56   #9

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55

We are in the Med, our boat is 55ft and we have 2 dinghies. The 3.5 m RIB is on the foredeck and the small one, 2.6 m , with the Honda 2.3 hp outboard on davits. Or sometimes vice versa. Towing the RIB around the corner into the next bay is never a problem.
Most of the time we are at anchor and the 2 dinghies give us the freedom and flexibility we like.
For longer overnight passages, I deflate the small one and stow it away. Not an issue on a boat > 50 ft.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:49   #10

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

Oh the time and money I've spent to have a dinghy easily at my finger tips and worth every bit of it. Just bought a new to me boat and the first person I called when I got the message it was going to be mine was the guy that makes the davits. To each their own....
Old 21-05-2015, 09:01   #11

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

How do you propose getting in to shore to explore if you are on anchor or mooring buoy? Without getting wet?

With so many places to anchor in the Med being much more secure by being tied stern to shore that's another use for the dink, especially in the colder months.

Whilst yes on a larger vessel you have plenty of space for provisions so town visits for shopping are not critical there's much more to visiting a town just to stock up. Saying that some of the freshest produce is to be found every day in the little town markets. Be a shame to live on tinned food when you could have fresh with the dink.

You don't need an outboard and rowing is great upper body exercise. A decent dink with good oars is actually quite easy and fun to row. Good oars should break down for easier storage when you don't need them. And while some might say that having your dink strapped to the topsides doesn't look pretty I'd prefer it to dragging the thing behind me as many seem want to do. All it does then is dance around like a cork in a jacuzzi and slow you down (or increase your fuel burn rate).

Lastly although not an ideal you can always use your dink as a life raft.

So my 2p worth is a dink is well worth the time and effort but at the end of the day it's your boat, your life and your choice.

Keiron

oh and dink is a colloquial term for dingy, it comes from dinky meaning small
Old 21-05-2015, 09:13   #12

..at least you 'll come to PT, Algarve, you 'll cry for a dinghy.
You can 't get to Faro city harbour without a dinghy from a mooring in Ria Formosa.
Well you can walk to...
Old 21-05-2015, 09:27   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I used to cruise without a dinghy. When at anchor I felt trapped. I ended up at marina slips and yacht club docks too often, just to get ashore.

Now I have an avon and 4hp yamaha. Yes, its a bother to setup and put away. But the fun and freedom is worth it. The outboard looks nice on the stern (better than a bbq) and the dinghy is stowed in a quarter berth when not in use.

While I agree that "less is more". There are many small dinghies that would be a suitable compromise. The "donut" shaped dinghies for example, with no transom. They take up little space, and can be rowed (no outboard required).

I have a pearson 30, and enjoy a 9' avon with 4hp....so your comments about not having space on a 54' boat are falling on deaf ears.
Old 21-05-2015, 09:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

There are many people here in Puget Sound that only cruise by tying up to a dock at night and plugging into shore power. My guess is that there are plenty of areas in the Med that you could cruise that way as well. If that's your cruising style then no dinghy needed.

Whether in Puget Sound or the Med I believe that you miss a lot if you cruise that way, but everyone has different tastes.
Old 21-05-2015, 10:51   #15

We've been cruising in the Med for the last 20 years or so, and can tell you you'll miss a lot without a dinghy for all the reasons explained above.
I personally consider it a "necessary hassle". So, in order not to rely only on oaring, we adopted an electrical outboard solution. We've had it now for four years and we love it. It's rather expensive compared to a combustion engine but it's got several advantages:
- no gasoline on board (that you inevitably spill when you try to refill the little outboard tank...)
- no strenuous exercise pulling a string to start the engine for 20 minutes under the southern mediterranean sun
- split in three pieces (propeller body, battery and handle) each weighting few pounds. So you can hand them over to your wife and they snap together in seconds.
- battery charge lasts 5 to 7 hours at medium speed (about 2.5 kn with a 3 meter dinghy with 2 persons)
- we charge our battery overnight from a rather small inverter (800 watts) without the boat service battery even noticing
- it has a screen on the handle with a built-in gps giving your speed, time (or distance) you can cruise before battery runs low, battery level, ecc.
- last but not least it's extremely quiet like all electric engines
- we haven't had a problem in the last four years
Considering the use of a conventional outboard the main drawback of having and using a dinghy, I must say that we are extremely happy now and consider the initial investment largely paid back.

Tags
dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: