Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 16:47   #1

Dinghy and outboard in Abaco

Hello everyone,

Long time reader and new member. First I would like to thank all of you for the useful information you have indirectly provided to us in our plans to become full time cruisers.

We are in contract to purchase a Leopard 40 from the Moorings in Marsh Harbor. The boat is in the phase out process and we have arranged for a surveyor to fly from FLL to MHH for the survey.

If all goes well and we purchase the boat we have a few questions we are hoping some of you can help with.

Once the sale is finalized is there a time limit to remove the boat from the Bahamas?

The boat has no dinghy. Can we or should we purchase the dinghy and outboard in Marsh Harbor, or purchase both in the US and ship them over?

If we ship the dinghy and motor over is there a duty fee?

Thanks,

Wylie
Wylier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Dinghy and outboard in Abaco

I'd like to help , but I'm a bit handicapped by the FLL and the MHH. Is this a referrence to Fort Lauderdale and Marsh Harbor? Are you a US citizen? Are you a Florida resident? Will you be keeping the boat in Florida or moving it elsewhere within a short period of time? Taxes, registration, purchase price, convenience are all factors,- what's the more complete story?
Old 03-03-2013, 17:42   #3

Captforce,

Hello and thank you for your reply. We are US Citizens and after purchase in the US we will be returning the boat to FLL(Ft.Lauderdale) to equip for cruising.

We would like to spend some time in Abaco once the sale is finalized. I'm assuming we will apply for a cruising permit upon our arrival to take possession of the boat in MarshHarbor. Still trying to determine if we can/ should buy a dinghy and moter in Marsh Harbor or ship them over.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

You can still get 2 strokes in the Bahamas. Yamaha 15 for about $2000 is a very good deal. But dinks are about double the US price, I just checked on the pricing for a friend. 40% import duty plus shipping.

You might try to find an old beater dink while you're here and dump it later when returning US. Or perhaps get the charter company to lend you one for the limited time you are in Bahamas as part of the purchase deal. You supply the motor
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02   #5

Wow, I'd hate for my first post on CruisersForm to be a stupid one, but here goes.

Why not put some postings at some Florida marinas offering some money to anyone "going" to the Bahamas.. Maybe they can mount your dingy to their deck (lifeboat) while they hang theirs from the rack?
wilnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:03   #6

Thanks for the information. The 40% duty is what I was afraid of.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wylier and wilnjan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dinghy and outboard in Abaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylier View Post
Hello everyone,

Long time reader and new member. First I would like to thank all of you for the useful information you have indirectly provided to us in our plans to become full time cruisers.

We are in contract to purchase a Leopard 40 from the Moorings in Marsh Harbor. The boat is in the phase out process and we have arranged for a surveyor to fly from FLL to MHH for the survey.

If all goes well and we purchase the boat we have a few questions we are hoping some of you can help with.

Once the sale is finalized is there a time limit to remove the boat from the Bahamas?

The boat has no dinghy. Can we or should we purchase the dinghy and outboard in Marsh Harbor, or purchase both in the US and ship them over?

If we ship the dinghy and motor over is there a duty fee?

Thanks,

Wylie
Talk to the Moorings Broker... if he's as nice as the guy in Tortola was back in '06 you can get a spare set of sails made and a dinghy and O/B bought by them and added to the cost...
They supplied me with new Doyles sails (main-genoa) for my 331 for less than £2000.. they buy bulk so heavily discounted.
They can only say no... otherwise get in touch with Lille Marine in St Marten and have a chat with them... shipping costs will be cheaper as should the dinghy, O/B...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16   #9

Boatman61 thanks for the information. I think we have things worked out.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

Tags
abaco, dinghy, outboard