Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2012, 14:50   #61

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Dinghies.. what's the current wisdom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
While we are on the subject, how about any recent feedback on dinghies with blow up floors?? All I ever heard was horror stories-- the blow up floors failed after a while and could not be repaired.
Having owned an Avon in the eighties with blow up floor (before RIB's) I personally would nor even consider one.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 09:19   #62

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We have a 10 ft AB RIB and are very pleased with it. Be sure to get one of the late models with a square bow because they keep you much drier in choppy seas.
Old 26-10-2012, 05:54   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic pete View Post
just my 2 cents worth in oz you cant go past a 10 ft poly craft unsinkable , fairly crock proof handy in fnq ,25 knots with a 15 hp outboard and rated for 250 kilos , it has survived 4 years of been pulled up on a rocky beach every day and did i mention stable ?? can stand 3 full grown blokes on the gunnels and wont tip over ,i use it as a ute carrys everything i need out to boat and tows well with a strong tow point , only down side is it weighs 80kg hull only
I agree as I am sick of patching the inflatable and its going down again. PolyCraft Tuff Tender is my next tender 2011/12 mod is lighter at 67kgs.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 07:37   #64

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV

I agree as I am sick of patching the inflatable and its going down again. PolyCraft Tuff Tender is my next tender 2011/12 mod is lighter at 67kgs.
Another alternative is the spindrift dinghy, a little bit lighter I believe and just as stable with the cat hulls. I have the 3meter with a 5.8hp on the back and it's brilliant for diving and fishing off also.
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 07:55   #65
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Having owned an Avon in the eighties with blow up floor (before RIB's) I personally would nor even consider one.
I've owned two inflatables with blow-up floors, a Zodiac and a Metzler. Neither boat worked well.
Old 26-10-2012, 15:06   #66

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I've owned two inflatables with blow-up floors, a Zodiac and a Metzler. Neither boat worked well.
Totally agree. A learning experience and RIB's were not around in those days.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 17:49   #67

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I eventually decided to go with a Mercury Ocean Runner 300. The Hypalon they use is made by, and the same as Achilles, so good stuff, and when we leave the US I figured a global network like Mercury would be of more value than a brand that is primarily local.
The clincher came when I was able to get a 2011 model at a discounted price. A strong feature for us was the GRP locker at the front to stow an anchor and any other bits you want to leave in the boat but out of site.

Well, the dinghy arrived late last tuesday, and on wednesday I dismanteled the crate and opened it up. No GRP locker, even though it is clearly shown in the brochure.

I went straight back on board and phoned the dealer. He couldn't believe there was no locker. "They must have changed the specs without telling us"... If this is a 2011 model you'd think they'd know by now.

He was going to phone the factory and call me right back. Wednesday evening I rang again. The factory rep hadn't returned his call. They were setting up for the Ft Lauderdale boat show etc...

Thursday I rang numerous times and eventually got through to someone who said the owner who I was dealing with was out of the office but would be back Friday (today) and would call me.

By lunch time no call, so I rang again. Got the owner. The factory rep hadn't got back to him, but his son was at the Ft Lauderdale show and woulkd speak to the factory rep and call me back... still waiting.

I've told him I bought a dinghy with a locker, so he must decide what he wants to do with this one. Hurricane Sandy is coming and the dinghy is sitting on the grass.

This is not a great start, from a dealer who claims to be Mercury's dealer of the year numerous times, based both on sales and service!

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 20:04   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Vic, stories like this are why we mostly don't pay any attention to warranties. IE, if they don't pay any attention to you when the money is fresh, how do you think they will deal with you a year down the road when the product fails?

Anyway, I hope that they can fix you up this time, and that you enjoy the dinghy, with or without the locker.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-10-2012, 13:01   #69

Boat: Island Packet 32
Re: Dinghies.. What's the Current Wisdom?

So.....

After reading through everything here - a quick question.

Our only real use for a dinghy will be to row over from our anchored boat, to the island, for a picnic, or just to row around the marina for the fun of it. We'll be sailing on our local (big - 200 sq.mi.) lake next year. The boat has 300 lb capacity davits already installed, but I want a dinghy that's as light as possible.

I'm looking at the Walker Bay 8ft hard dinghy - HERE... But I notice that it doesn't have any lifting points to pull up on the davits. I'll want to haul the dinghy up and secure it to the boat when we're not aboard. How would you approach this? Make a sling? Add lifting points?

Thoughts, anybody?

Thanks
PlumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 13:39   #70

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Vic, stories like this are why we mostly don't pay any attention to warranties. IE, if they don't pay any attention to you when the money is fresh, how do you think they will deal with you a year down the road when the product fails?

Anyway, I hope that they can fix you up this time, and that you enjoy the dinghy, with or without the locker.

Cheers,

Jim
Very good point. It is very difficult to get warranty work when you're cruising. You don't stay in a spot long enough, telephone tag or email forever and getting no closer to the resolution of the problem. Having to stay in a marina so that a rep can see with his own eyes rather than believing the customer. Warranty work is a problem. So, I would not put any weight on the warranty factor when making a choice. And my stuff always breaks when the factory is on vacation or closed for inventory or the area rep is new or it's Christmas!!
Old 30-10-2012, 15:26   #71

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumBob View Post
So.....

After reading through everything here - a quick question.

Our only real use for a dinghy will be to row over from our anchored boat, to the island, for a picnic, or just to row around the marina for the fun of it. We'll be sailing on our local (big - 200 sq.mi.) lake next year. The boat has 300 lb capacity davits already installed, but I want a dinghy that's as light as possible.

I'm looking at the Walker Bay 8ft hard dinghy - HERE... But I notice that it doesn't have any lifting points to pull up on the davits. I'll want to haul the dinghy up and secure it to the boat when we're not aboard. How would you approach this? Make a sling? Add lifting points?

Thoughts, anybody?

Thanks
The Walker Bays have lifting points. They are eyebolts threaded into the seats. You can also rig a harness through the gunwales. I have a Walker Bay 10 and carry on davits.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 15:32   #72

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers,

Jim
The dealer is in New York.
I suspect I'm the least of his worries right now.
He may well be 'in liquidation'

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 18:24   #73

THANKS, kbudd...

Great news. I appreciate the info!
Old 31-10-2012, 19:16   #74

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

I found a picture of my Walker Bay 10 in the davits. You can kind of see where the bridles attach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dingy.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	49084  
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23   #75

Great Pix, kbudd... Thanks!

That is exactly what I will do, too.

Tags
current