Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 18:50   #16

Re: Diesel heaters: Wallas vs Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Aaa, Dickerson and other diesel fired stoves, have water heating coils that they offer for there stoves!! with them and a insulated tank, a couple of bus heaters and some hose and ya have a heating system!! Ive done this on both a 42 ft steel sailing boat and a 70 ft power vessel! They work well enough that we used them in Alaska in the winter time ! and were comfortable !! Ya don't need plans for a system like this ! Ya just need to remember hot water rises !! Just a old idea that works well !!!
Indeed!

When I did it, the heater was the highest point, and the coil is at the top of the heater so I was always concerned about losing flow in the coolant. I added a magnetic pump used for solar water heater installations. it was 12v low amp, but I recall it was like $300. So In the future I'd like to avoid that, any thoughts on how the heat flows when the blowers are below the heater as they most certainly will be on this boat?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 18:53   #17

How does hydronic increase humidity? It's a sealed system exactly like an electric radiator isn't it? I thought propane was the bad one for humidity?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:32   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A hydronic system wont increase the humidity and if the air intake draws in outside air the warm moist air in the boat will be replaced, exactly the same way as with a hot air system, so long as there is an open vent. A small powered hatch vent is all that is needed, preferrably over the propane stove, and if doing pasta, then open the hatch as well.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:49   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

In any old fashion system like I spoke of your hot water storage tank must be higher then everything else in the system ! hot water rises!! Period no way around that ! the rest of the system can be made to work with out pumps if ya think ahead!! just sayin old style takes a little thought on how hot water works !!
Old 21-12-2012, 07:32   #20

Boat: Wylo 35,

Thank you for all your replies.

After long thinking and making mocks I decided to go for blow air system. The reasons for me were:
-Blow air heats boat faster then radiant type,
-It takes air from outside, so with proper installation all air will be replaced in the boat even from bilges.
-Fuel consumption and electricity nearly same
-No issues with back pressure
-Easier installation
-Easier to find place on the boat for the unit (I made mocks of them for trying different places)
-Easier to light up (just matter of pressing button)
-It cost more , but by the time price will be forgotten and in general I think it will be cheaper to run air forced heaterin relation fuel consumption vs speed of heating boat

So now I’m I progress of ordering Wallas 30DT.

Happy Christmas !
vtlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 10:44   #21

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

You may wish to read this book:

Warm, Dry Boat, The: Amazon.ca: Roger Mcafee: Books

I've recommended more than once to people seeking to understand the physics and limitations of keeping a vessel surrounded by water free from dampness.

The heating source is only half the story. Proper venting and fuel choice is also key.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 20:41   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

'The warm dry boat'... 1 used from CDN$ 114.86
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 20:55   #23
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
Not wanting to gloat if it doesn work out check your library.

My local library has copies. So i put a copy on hold. One can never be too informed.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 20:24   #24

I like the heater, but is this big enough for your boat? 3000w is less than the output of a ceramic heater.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 23:11   #25

Boat: too many

Just some numbers to play with....

A $20 1500 watt space heater puts out 5121 BTUs.

A modern diesel generator consumes 0.25 to 0.4 liters of diesel per hour per kw.

24 hours at full output would consume 10.8 liters of diesel and as most use a hot water heat exchanger, hot showers to boot. 2.8 gallons isn't much more than the 1.3 gallons of a Wallas at the same output for $2800 less. Of course, hours of run time put on the generator, there is a cost to that.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 23:54   #26

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Just some numbers to play with....

A $20 1500 watt space heater puts out 5121 BTUs.

A modern diesel generator consumes 0.25 to 0.4 liters of diesel per hour per kw.

24 hours at full output would consume 10.8 liters of diesel and as most use a hot water heat exchanger, hot showers to boot. 2.8 gallons isn't much more than the 1.3 gallons of a Wallas at the same output for $2800 less. Of course, hours of run time put on the generator, there is a cost to that.
If you already have the generator it's dirtcheap. It looks like buying a diesel generator so you don't have to buy a boat heater will set you back $5k.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 22:50   #27

Boat: Corbin 39

Installed the wallas heater in our Corbin39 couldn't be happier even if this recent weather -5 Celsius at night
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 06:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlli View Post
I am finishing building 34ft steel sailing boat, and time to choose best heating system. I’m in dilemma: from one side I like air forced heaters like Wallas 30 DT, from another side – traditional diesel heater Dickinson Newport. For me both of them have their own pros and cons. I do not have my own experience in those heaters. On my previous boat I have used electrical fan hooked to the shore which is not working at all when you sailing.
On your opinion which system is better as for living aboard? Air forced or traditional ?
Thanks
Vitaliy
i find the eberspacher heaters to be a lot more beneficial, mine came with warranty and is an excellent runner, good price too. id take a look at these aswell, hope this helps

Eberspacher Water & Air Heaters Eberspacher Airtronic & Hydronic range. Eberspacher Parts buy direct from Eberspacher Sales - EberspacherSales.com
tim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 09:25   #29

I use a webasto 3500D , plenty of heat and it burns very little fuel. Very easy to
Service this unit yourself with online manual's. I use kerosene in mine as it burns cleaner with no diesel smells
Foneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 09:52   #30

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I had a Hydronic system on my last boat , it was noisy , woke me up when it started every time and made a mess of my aft deck from the soot . My next boat will have a Wallas with an exhaust stack running up the arch away from the hull. I have never seen one in use but they are supposed to be very quiet . Check out this video of one installed on a power boat.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dickinson, diesel