Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2013, 15:59   #1

Did you build your own compost toilet? Are you using it successfully on your boat?

I was wondering if anyone has built their own compost toilet and is using it successfully on their boat? Did you build the kind that separates the pee from the poop? I plan on building one in my Toyota motorhome and would like to read how well this has worked for cruisers please.

Thanks very much.

Steve
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:44   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Did you build your own compost toilet? Are you using it successfully on your boat

I didn't build mine, but it does seperate urine and feces. I'm getting ready to replace it soon. If you'd like to purchase a manufactured one, I'd be willing to sell it once its removed.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 13:06   #3

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34, Sirena
Re: Did you build your own compost toilet? Are you using it successfully on your boat

I built version 1, 2 and then 3. We used the third version for weekend use. Wife didn't like it although it worked well enough for me. I removed it and bought Natures Head and then she liked it. I know they cost a fortune but, in this case, I think it is not a do it yourself item if a women is involved.

Dale
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 13:10   #4

I'm way over on the west coast so the shipping would probably kill me. How much did you want for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
I didn't build mine, but it does seperate urine and feces. I'm getting ready to replace it soon. If you'd like to purchase a manufactured one, I'd be willing to sell it once its removed.
Old 08-03-2013, 13:13   #5

Boat: CA 34

We've been using a home built composting toilet for going on to five-years of full time use and we're happy campers... No odor and no hassles.

It's so easy and cheap to build to build one there's no reason not to. Ecovita has a kit (urine-diverting seat) with plans (Ecovita Privy Kit) that makes it even easier and all you have to add is a five-gallon pail and a two to three gallon jug. It's as simple as that.
Old 08-03-2013, 13:23   #6

Boat: Cavalier 37ft
I built a GRP 30 ltr composter with a separate 5 ltr urine bottle, top off a normal size Porta Pottie use it on a live a board. Has a permanently wired in computer fan for positive pressure and to aid in composting. Get about a month use out of the main vessel before it needs emptying with the two of us using it every day. Separates the No. 1s & 2s, No smell No problems, had it for about 6 months in tropics and semi tropics. Would not go back to holding tank. Wife loves it for that reason alone.
cal_d_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 14:42   #7

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

There's a discussion on this on SailFar.net. Search "The $10-20(or even free) composting toilet."
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:00   #8

I was thinking of building the simple sawdust toilet like the one discussed in the book Humanure. No separation of stuff needed it doesn't stink as long as you cover everything with sawdust.

Thanks for the tip on the sailfar.net forum. I joined and am waiting for approval.
Old 13-03-2013, 15:06   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The problem I see on a boat with the humanure system is that not separating the liquid will quickly fill the buckets, and then how will you get rid of that in an acceptable way while boating? Separating the urine means you don't have to empty the solids section for weeks at a time.
Old 28-06-2013, 12:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The problem I see on a boat with the humanure system is that not separating the liquid will quickly fill the buckets, and then how will you get rid of that in an acceptable way while boating? Separating the urine means you don't have to empty the solids section for weeks at a time.
Thank you everyone for your replies and sorry its taken so long to get back to you but as I said in my first post, I'll be using this in a small Toyota Sunrader motorhome that I'm currently rebuilding.