Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 02:05   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Detached Achilles tendon

Drydocking StarGazer to do the last major refit job of replacing my prop shaft, I had my Achilles Tendon detach from the heal while climbing a ladder with parts.

They operate on Thursday to reconnect and I understand it will be six weeks before I can walk and a year of rehabilitation.

What I want to know from sailors who have had that same problem is how well the repair went so that they can continue the liveaboard life?

I am 66
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 02:34   #2

Re: Detached Achilles tendon

I'm not sure about the age part..
A good friend detached his in his early 40's, about a year to rehab.
He can do everything he did before, hockey, cycling, work construction...
I may have tendon relocation surgery done on my shoulder. Doc says I should get back almost 100% mobility.
Things are so much better now, I waited to have my knee done, went from being split open from mid shin to mid thigh to an incision a bit over an inch long with 3 stitches.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 02:35   #3

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Drydocking StarGazer to do the last major refit job of replacing my prop shaft, I had my Achilles Tendon detach from the heal while climbing a ladder with parts.

They operate on Thursday to reconnect and I understand it will be six weeks before I can walk and a year of rehabilitation.

What I want to know from sailors who have had that same problem is how well the repair went so that they can continue the liveaboard life?

I am 66
Best of good fortune with your operation and rehab.

My comment is because I am also aged 66 just had a double knee reconstruction and unfortunately have developed rheumatoid arthritus particually in my wrists meaning I have to reconsider my future..

Practically it means poor wrist strength and difficulties handling lines. I have changed my focus from a sail catamaran to a fuel efficient power vessel so that I can get back into diving again in my retirement.

All the best on Thursday.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 03:44   #4

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Age will have some impact but most will be the proficiency of your surgeon and your drive to get back on your feet so to speak. I am 71 and at beginning of Oct had a compound fracture of my left radius and ulna. New titanium head on the radius and a couple screws in the ulna. Full mobility as before perhaps wishful thinking but at least I am already at 90%. It will take time as pointed out. Also a fair bit is how active you have been before as this gives you an idea of your goal. It seems that our soft tissue around our joints are very prone to atrophy when not in use, i.e. whilst in a cast.

In my case I was lucky, good surgeon, (luck of the draw) and a flexible elbow retainer which allowed me to exit the brace and move the joint some. That could be done as it was all mechanically stabilised which 20 years ago would have been more of a problem. There have been some amazing developments in medicine the last half century.

Good luck and keep a stiff upper lip.
Old 28-11-2016, 04:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sorry to hear this,hope you get well soon.

my mother at 69 broke her hip 2 years ago,had a hip replacement 18 months ago,and was fully mobile 6months after the op.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 04:31   #6

Hydrotherapy is your best friend - as soon as they will let you.

Impatience is your worst enemy.

Don't forget to exercise the rest of your body at the same time.

All the best with the operation.
Old 28-11-2016, 05:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Detached Achilles tendon

What a Bumma mate.. best wishes for a perfect op and full recovery.
If they could superglue 6 pieces of kneecap back together and refit it back in 1985 your tendons going to be a doddle.. just keep the re-stretching progress slow and steady..

Not trying to trivialise your situation..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:08   #8

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:

I am 66
Not fun! Had the same 18 years ago at age 51, just before we were going to head for SE Alaska for the summer in our 26-footer. No Go.

2+ months in a cast, then lots of walking and stretch therapy after the cast was removed. Walking at first in a plastic brace, then without the brace after another month or two. Next summer did a long cruise OK.

Actually did get to Alaska that first summer, but in a truck w/ travel trailer, and my leg/cast elevated most of the time. (I was not the driver)
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:12   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

I ruptured my achilles playing basketball in my mid 40's. Had surgery and pursued rehab relentlessly. I was skiinig in 5.5 months on my doctor's okay....it wasn't hard core though. My reconstructed achilles is better than original. You should be able to overcome this.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 13:01   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ Pelagic:

The good news is that they can do it, and you will recover. Healing in the 60's is faster than in the '70's, and also, your motivation stronger, as well.

I am sorry that it happened, it's no d--n fun, but, today, it is reparable, and the attempts are made to make the process as little invasive as possible, which also contributes to healing.

Stick with the physio, even when your medical coverage for it is gone. Work out a way to work a program out with the physical therapist beforehand, so that he or she can advise maybe once every two weeks. Often with physio, they expect you to have only 6 weeks, then don't pay any more. [I discovered to my surprise that a number of physical trainers at gyms are also physical therapists. If you wind up at a gym, like I did, you can ask around. The extra knowledge about how people heal is helpful.]

What I found out during my physical therapy that I had before my bilateral total knee replacement revision surgery was that gyms have machines that you adjust the resistance (measured in pounds, because it was the US)/difficulty on, and the physical therapist advises on the numbers of repetitions. You fill out the sheet of paper that shows what the loading is that you're giving your muscles, so you can see progress, which keeps you involved. I bought a 3 month gym membership at a place that also had therapy pools and a lap pool. Even well into my 70's, I could watch strength increase. Follow the advice of the physical therapist--it takes more time after you're 16, but a 65 plus friend of ours had an ACL repaired, and can ski again! So there really is reason to hope, and to not make major decisions about the boat until after a year. At that point, you'll have a feel for how to proceed. The whole situation is a process that just has to be lived through, and you'll do the best you can. I wish you additional good luck, 'cause I think it never hurts.

All the best,

Ann
Old 28-11-2016, 13:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Best of good fortune with your operation and rehab.

My comment is because I am also aged 66 just had a double knee reconstruction and unfortunately have developed rheumatoid arthritus particually in my wrists meaning I have to reconsider my future..

Practically it means poor wrist strength and difficulties handling lines. I have changed my focus from a sail catamaran to a fuel efficient power vessel so that I can get back into diving again in my retirement.

All the best on Thursday.
Arthritis........the scourge of aging.

I have severe arthritis in both thumbs, my left shoulder and my lower back.

My lower back will have to be dealt with by just taking meds and a wee bit of exercise, but for the rest.......

My only option for my shoulder is a replacement after trying cortizone injections, that did little to help the pain.

As for my thumbs, after the New Year I am having surgery called CMC (?) where they remove a bone at the base of the thumb and replace it with ligaments and a tendon.

Apparently it is fairly common and recovery is quite good.

To be a teenager again...............
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 13:31   #12
CF Adviser

Thanks to all for your encouragement as we were both looking forward to Sailing soon and the good life back on board.

I guess I just need to look at this as another part of the refit and get her done!
Old 28-11-2016, 13:35   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Thanks to all for your encouragement as we were both looking forward to Sailing soon and the good life back on board.

I guess I just need to look at this as another part of the refit and get her done!
Ya know, if it would work out for you, maybe you can hire someone whom you can supervise to do the work this time. It will save you precious time.

Ann
Old 28-11-2016, 15:09   #14
CF Adviser

Thanks Ann, I do have a friend who will get her out of drydock and back to marina

Already planning what I can contract out, but my nature is to be there so I will hold my horses until I can wear this walking brace and be able to supervise.

I think that will be about 6 weeks
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480374577064.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	137106  
Old 28-11-2016, 17:06   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not detached, but my father tore both his Achilles tendons. And I've known others with hip and knee replacements among other things. In every case, the really key issue is to find the best surgeon and THERAPIST that you can. And then follow the therapy schedule exactly, neither more nor less intensively. If the therapist is any good (and some rehab centers have much better reputations than others) they will match up your schedule to what gives you the best recovery. Expect it will be a long grind but that a full recovery should be possible. In the meantime...how to favor that leg (favor both legs, you don't want to harm the other one) in a liveaboard situation may be difficult. If you have to go up and down a companionway, you may want to rethink that and have a long plank fitted, so you've got a handicapped ramp in the cabin instead. RFPITA, yes, but ask beforehand about what accommodations you need and try to get them out of the way. There are often therapy aids and other accommodation that you simply have to buy or build for yourself, insurance and medicare have their own queer rules about what they will or won't cover. If you explain your situation to the doctors and have insurance or Medicare, they may be able to send you to rehab, and keep you in rehab, longer than normal. "Home is not handicap accessible..." can play a big point there. An extra week in rehab will make a huge difference for you, so don't be too eager to say "Yeah, I'm doing great!" when they assess your recovery.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote