Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-07-2015, 08:36   #1

Dentistry on my boat

getting close to retirement 60 now would like to put dental equipment on a boat and head south any info on the process of making my dream come true would be greatly appreciated.

Old 27-07-2015, 08:53   #2

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: dentistry on my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthowell View Post
getting close to retirement 60 now would like to put dental equipment on a boat and head south any info on the process of making my dream come true would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully you're not in Australia as heading south wouldn't find a lot of patients.

Seriously I'm kind of curious about the process; you could drill out a cavity on a rocking boat?

Old 27-07-2015, 08:58   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

More specifics?

By "put dental equipment on my boat", I assume you mean practice dentistry from your boat? If so, most places are going to have an issue with that without appropriate permmissions. However, enforcement resources are often lacking in less developed countries so many get away with working illegally.

Regulations and defacto practices vary by country so the ultimate answer depends on where you plan to go specifically.
Old 27-07-2015, 09:03   #4

Boat: csy 37

Well, if you're a dentist then you know that each state has licensing requirements. If you are not a dentist its illegal to practice.

A couple of months ago they arrested an illegal dentist in Orlando. It seems among the Latino community its not uncommon - they have also arrested them in Miami....
Old 27-07-2015, 09:07   #5

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Perhaps just a skate will do;

goat
Old 27-07-2015, 09:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

I knew an American dentist who worked out of his boat in the Caribbean. He kept a low profile, but the cruisers knew who he was because his boat name had something to do with dentistry (molar mechanic??).
Old 27-07-2015, 10:45   #7

Talking Re: dentistry on my boat

a little extra about me i live in VA now south means not in US about doing a filling on a boat a slight rocking boat would b no problem
Old 27-07-2015, 13:13   #8

Allready invented by some german: http://www.cat-mariposa.de a cat seem not to rock too much. Kind regards j

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-07-2015, 08:40   #9

Boat: 1974 Morgan Out Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Hopefully you're not in Australia as heading south wouldn't find a lot of patients.
I hear all of those penguins have been eating a lot of sugar lately. Something about dumping by the Philippines.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:01   #10

What kind of boat? Many possibilities.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:04   #11

Boat: Hurley Alacrity

Is your primary motivation for doing this because you like to help people in need, or is it simply a way you can afford to cruise?

Like pretty much most other boat based money-making endeavors, I suspect if a person outfitted a boat as a dental office and appeared in harbors as a discount dentist the authorities might be somewhat reactionary.

However, if you now started laying the groundwork to be a travelling clinic offering dental care to the local communities that do not have any dentists there is a possibility that you would get the town welcome and official blessing in every little port you put in to. Keep in m ind many of your clients are dirt poor, but not many are lazy so your boat can benefit from a lot of cleaning/maintenance attention, you can have a steady supply of fresh food, and in general feel good about yourself for doing worthwhile deeds.

I know a dentist who does humanitarian work in the Phillippines (IIRC, it's somewhere) and I'll ask him if he knows of any organizations you might be able to contact. I'd take the approach of finding a US based organization that can help or sponsor you in whatever cruising area you are thinking of, and then through them approach the local governmental officials.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:58   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthowell View Post
As crazy as it may sound, years ago I saw two transiting through Charleston, SC. The one I met had what looked like any nice dental office on board an ex bunker boat/ Manhadden of approx. 120' rigged for longlining swordfish. I have no idea how it worked out?
Old 28-07-2015, 10:00   #13

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzzz View Post
As for legal documents to practice? Good lord why do some people think that US licensing covers the entire planet.
US licensing doesnt even cover the US. Each of the 50 states have their own licensing board and you cannot practice in a state in which you dont have a license.
Old 28-07-2015, 10:41   #14

Nor would "Have drill, Will travel" work in Canada. The Dental College of Beastly Columbia just ran a coupla "imported" dentists outta Vancouver. Solid money-making discount practices, but un-licensed.

As in every profession, the argument is one of "peer review" in regard to competence. No Licence, practitioner assumed incompetent.

So the Virgins are out. What has Curacao to say about it? Dutchmen can be very, very "difficult" :-) Venezuela? Them wot operate without a licence are clearly scoff-laws.

Whaddawedo about malpractice insurance Messing up a root canal on a US citizen - anywhere in the world - aboard a US registered vessel might well be followed by litigation in US courts.

Oh well - we Canucks are altogether to authoritarian and law abiding ;-)

TrentePieds
Old 28-07-2015, 10:57   #15

Boat: Alden Malabar Sr 33
Re: Dentistry on my boat

Not a proble. Go to you tube and search "Roadside Dentist". It will make what ou have in mind look like you're operating a state of the art facility. Down island, Guadaloupe and south you'll have no problem doing your thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: