Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 14:22   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Dealing with galley scraps at anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I get what you’re saying Val, and you’re right in some cases, but reality is more nuanced. We’ve (meaning our society) sometimes wastes ridiculous resources chasing the last ppm or ppb concentration of a pollutant. We get those foolish slogans about “no amount of pollution is acceptable!” or “any pollution is too much!!” This flies in the face of good science, and at least some people’s common sense.

That said, there are situations where everyone’s small contribution DOES lead to a big problem. One person pooping in an enclosed harbour makes no real difference. But 10, 100, 1000 … all doing the same creates an environmental problem.

Most of our planet’s environmental crisis have begun with the false notion that the resource is endless (forests, fish, water, etc…), or that my little garbage means nothing. "Nothing I do can possibly affect something so large…”. This is usually true when one person does it. But again, when the everyone does it, it becomes a problem.

This is why it is reasonable to dump organics in areas of good flow with small existing nutrient loads. But in areas where loads are concentrated, it makes perfect sense to not add to the problem.
Along these lines, in the US and probably most developed countries, the big contributors to pollution called point source, have been largely addressed or at least as much as budgets and politics will allow.

So instead of one giant refinery dumping tons of oily waste into the river (point source) we have millions of cars leaking a few drops of oil onto the streets (nonpoint source) that wash into the same river when it rains.

The point source pollution is easy to identify and target, the nonpoint source a lot more difficult. Yes it's small and in many cases not significant but as you point out, in some cases the NPS pollution from thousands and millions of us adds up.

Of course common sense should prevail. Boaters, even hundreds of thousands of boaters tossing a few orange peels are not a NPS pollution worth going after.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:46   #107

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I feel that politicking the environment was one of the worst things Al Gore did. Moron ruined it for legitimate environmental concerns in the US.

Anyway - I stand by my response in the first reply. U think anyone who understands what being neighborly means will know where to dump and where not to dump.

If you're the type who dumps everywhere and anywhere, I hope for your sake you don't get busted in some countries that take things more seriously. Maybe go to India where a billion people have the attitude that the river and sewer is nature's waste disposal system.

Great crabs to he had there - feeding on human corpse floating down the river and garbage. Too bad dioxin also floes down the same river.
Just one of the reasons that Sydneysiders (oz) are so strict about overboard dumping is that commercial fishing has been banned in all parts of the harbour & environs since C. 1986 because Union Carbide dumped ALL waste, esp dioxins, into Homebush Bay for decades. We don't like dumpers!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:58   #108

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Just one of the reasons that Sydneysiders (oz) are so strict about overboard dumping is that commercial fishing has been banned in all parts of the harbour & environs since C. 1986 because Union Carbide dumped ALL waste, esp dioxins, into Homebush Bay for decades. We don't like dumpers!
Yep, hard on industrial polluters in the harbour, for sure, Brian. But then, I recall that the sewage treatment plant has a long pipe extending out to sea where they normally dump treated waste water, but under heavy rainfall conditions, raw sewage goes out there as well. Or has that been altered? I guess that this is better than their former practice of dumping in the harbour, but still...

Jim
Old 22-11-2016, 15:08   #109

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yep, hard on industrial polluters in the harbour, for sure, Brian. But then, I recall that the sewage treatment plant has a long pipe extending out to sea where they normally dump treated waste water, but under heavy rainfall conditions, raw sewage goes out there as well. Or has that been altered? I guess that this is better than their former practice of dumping in the harbour, but still...

Jim
Still the same Jim. In a decent sou'easterly, approaching North Head....terrible things in the water.
But people are talking lately about orange peels and it was I who first raised ,orange peel' and when I see orange peel I see crap (when in enclosed waters).
Old 22-11-2016, 15:19   #110
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I agree,- fruit has been falling from the trees for a long time! Way before Adam and Eve took a bite!
Ahhh!..... So the philosophical evil is not from the apple itself, but what Adam did with the core?
the whole world now makes perfect non Sense[emoji42]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:30   #111

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Ahhh!..... So the philosophical evil is not from the apple itself, but what Adam did with the core?
the whole world now makes perfect non Sense[emoji42]
Humorous! A good connect to an absurd conversation.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:49   #112
cruiser

I think most of the eco nut contributors to this thread are missing the point, that adding some organic material (table scraps) to the marine environment is actually helpfull, espectially in warm water places somewhat devoid of enough organic material to sustain marine life. Most of the ocean is more like a desert due to warm water and too few nutrients suspended in the warm water.

Study some biology before just repeating green political talking points.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:54   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I think most of the eco nut contributors to this thread are missing the point, that adding some organic material (table scraps) to the marine environment is actually helpfull, espectially in warm water places somewhat devoid of enough organic material to sustain marine life. Most of the ocean is more like a desert due to warm water and too few nutrients suspended in the warm water.

Study some biology before just repeating green political talking points.
Old 22-11-2016, 16:37   #114

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I have no idea how this got to Al Gore. Galley scraps to Gore is a stretch.
My feelings are split on AL Gore; I'm glad he invented the Internet, but I'm pissed he caused global warming.
;^)
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 16:57   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
My feelings are split on AL Gore; I'm glad he invented the Internet, but I'm pissed he caused global warming.
;^)
Al is a trip. Thank God we never ended him up as president. How did we get to him at all from galley scraps. Oh well, I guess it is better than the post with people throwing there dead kids in the river in India. That can't be I speak to them every time I call customer service. What was the OP?
Old 22-11-2016, 17:57   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The whole discussion of orange peels, and table scraps sounds sophomoric. I'm sure there are real pollution issues of more importance.
Agreed, like Victoria, Canada still pumping all of it's untreated sewage into the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Nasty, especially from a non-third world nation.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 18:00   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Agreed, like Victoria, Canada still pumping all of it's untreated sewage into the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Nasty, especially from a non-third world nation.
True story ???
Old 22-11-2016, 18:13   #118

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

If you want to know the outcome of jetsom, put a hook in it. See what's there in the morning.

I'm going to address fresh water as it is generally the most vulnerable.

Beef, chicken, any cooked meat: snapping turtle
Processed meats: eel
Corn, avacado, lettuce, etc. : carp

In salt water, if there are shrimp or crabs, it's gone.

Orange rind put in a bowl and it will make things smell nice.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 18:32   #119

Quote:
True story ???
Amazingly and sadly, yes.

Facts Victoria Sewage Alliance
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 18:40   #120

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
True story ???
Fuggin' A Bubba. Most cities on the Great Lakes, Canada included, have antiquated and overloaded sewage systems. When it rains heavily most dump a quarter million gallons or more of raw sewage straight into the lake.

That's why I say they can stuff their overboard discharge up their political dump pipes. Every boat on any any of the Great Lakes doesn't discharge in an entire year what one of the urban sewage generators does.

Just pick a city, and google.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, galley