Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 16:31   #166

Re: Dating, Relationships livingaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
Only if it's permanent. If on a road trip and you're not broke, you're good.
Strawing, no food, no spare parts, no geny, no insurance, cant get in to a marina.
what happened, you win the lottery?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lp-164358.html
On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 17:51   #167

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Your problem mate.. but then I consider female Latino's to be women.. don't knock it till you've tried it..
Anyway.. I was addressing the OP.. however if you'd care to break out the violins and sing your tale of woe and heartache I'll happily don the 'Thinking Cap'..!!
Hey Boatie, I somehow mistakenly quoted your post.....I meant to quote the guy that said he didn't see any attractive women sailing....and yes I also see latino women as women (very much so) sorry for the mix up.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 18:16   #168

Boat: Catalina 470

Heres the thing, its not actually difficult to get woman on your boat, in fact I believe its easier than finding a woman in real life. There are litetally 1000's of women dreaming of adventure, they may not stay forever but there are many that want to give it ago. Personally ive found there are many ladies over 40 that have come to a point in their life where kids have grown up, and divorce has happened and they want to be free. The biggest problem I've had is some would like to stay but limited finances means im suddenly paying for two for happily ever after? And has you can see by my previous posts im not really sure that's for me. Ive met some wonderful women that have crewed with me for several months, memories for ever.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 18:28   #169

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Show me *any* in the USA. Any.
OK here you go......I'll show you two
https://katieandjessieonaboat.com/

I also might add that Matt Rutherford made out quite well simply persuing his dreams. Perhaps use his adventures as encouragement.
http://reddotontheocean.com/
http://www.solotheamericas.org/
http://oceanresearchproject.org/
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 19:16   #170

Boat: Catalina 387

Geez, haven't y'all watched Delos on youtube? Looks like bopping around the world on a Super Maramu gets you a seemingly endless supply of attractive lassies. _AND_ they'll stand watch too....

OTW brings up a good point, how did cruisersfarm go from starving and broke to buzzing around in an RV? Ahhhh... the internet is fun sometimes.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 19:28   #171

Quote:
Show me *any* in the USA. Any.
Ohhh! What a google search will find you!

https://www.google.com/search?q=wome...w=1366&bih=628

Seriously? You don't find one attractive person in this crowd? I think sometimes during our lives we humans set such high limits that we fail to see the opportunities.

Ask yourself who is guilty of seeking "bling"? Bling to some women is a wealthy man that provides necessity and luxury, bling to some men is a woman that provides necessity and "arm candy". We've all been objectified at some point in our lives. Right?

It's spring time, we all know what this season brings
Old 20-04-2016, 19:41   #172

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Only if it's permanent. If on a road trip and you're not broke, you're good.

Told a couple girls I was thinking about doing it... responses?

"OMG!!! DO IT!"
"When do you get to California?? "
"Can I come for part of the trip??"
"That's sooooo cool."

And the number of girls that would jump in to go to Coachella, Burning Man, Electric Forest, etc? I couldn't even fit them in a bus.

Boats are love life killers, despite the fact that I love em to death.

Every girl wants to go on a comfortable, exciting road trip. When I try to explain how great boats are, the replies are:

"Don't you get bored sitting on a boat?"
"What do you do all day?"
"I get sea sick"
"It only goes 8mph?!?? Screw that!"

I'm not from a country where we have many good single women of depth and quality. ha haha

You play the hand you are dealt.
You know...you really have to keep away from those High school girls. It will get you in a lot of trouble!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 19:58   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I haven't had to shop around for a long time, but i can tell you boat is not the issue.
Go down to S Fl and look at the Mega Yachts, usually always a Retired age gent with a couple of very attractive females his Daughters age hanging on his arm.
Hey, they are beautiful, nubile etc, just what you said you wanted. They don't seem to mind being on a boat

Issue is and I am not talking about any one person here, but Men as a whole. Most Women don't want a Bum, now I can tell you many Bums are initially attractive to middle aged married Women as they embody everything that they wish their Husbands were, laid back, easy going, not in a hurry, they take time and pay attention to Her, but that doesn't last as they soon tire of the guy who they figure out real soon is worth nothing, does nothing but lay around, always dreams and talks big, but never starts. Real soon she figures out if she is to stay with this Guy, then she will lose everything she has as she will be supporting them both, a few may even try to rehabilitate the Bum if he has an exceptional personality and she is in love with him, but that only works on TV

You want a smart, attractive, intelligent, well dressed, active Lady?

Then you have to be smart, intelligent, well dressed, active, clean, well mannered "Go Getter", that is clean shaven, well dressed, hair cut, smells good as somebody else said dress like Sonny Crocket Boat is kept immaculate and clean for when you take her back to it.
Don't lie, but let them think your just took a Sabbatical and are cruising for awhile, you live somewhere else, you weren't born on the boat I assume?

Now what will not work for you is if your in ragged clothes, haven't showered in a day or two, your boat's covered in bird poo and hasn't moved in months so you paddle ashore in your old Jon boat, "freshen" up a little in the bathroom and try to pick up chicks at the beach bar.

Years ago my Mother told me "soap is cheap"
What she was telling me was there is no shame at all in being poor, but there is never an excuse for being dirty, soap's cheap.
You received a lot of grief for this from those that took it too literally. I imagine your point wasn't that you needed to be cropped haired and tailored. My take away was that a person should simply take pride in their appearance and follow good hygiene and take pride in their boat (home) enough so that it is presentable to guests. Always put your best foot forward? And to all of that I have to agree. It speaks volumes that a person takes into account another persons comfort through unspoken actions.
Old 21-04-2016, 00:15   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
You received a lot of grief for this from those that took it too literally. I imagine your point wasn't that you needed to be cropped haired and tailored. My take away was that a person should simply take pride in their appearance and follow good hygiene and take pride in their boat (home) enough so that it is presentable to guests. Always put your best foot forward? And to all of that I have to agree. It speaks volumes that a person takes into account another persons comfort through unspoken actions.
here in the uk,people might suspect him of being gay,or a Tory facist!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 07:02   #175

Boat: Sceptre 41

Interesting Posts here. Just getting thru with a 19 year old marriage. We met sailing. My goal in life was to have kids and take them sailing around the world. Hers was to go cruising. She had lived on a boat before we married. I talked her into having kids. She wanted to have enough money so that we had a house to come back to. She didn't want to start over. By the time I had financially had put us in the right place to sail and own a house/hobby farm. She went and bought another dog. A big one. That means 10 years before we could go sailing by my definition -- but not hers. The compromise was a boat in Europe that we could sail in the summers till the kids went off to college. Other things got in the way till we weren't on the same page anymore.

The communication wasn't there. We said the same words but me thinks they had a different definition. Everyone of us has a different meaning to the word sailing. Mine was adventure, long passages, etc. Hers was overnight sails and shorter passages. Don't get me wrong she is a good woman but we hadn't agreed on defintions for our vocabulary. In the end kids and sailing as a family kept us together longer then we should have been. l think that what Ann and the others with long term term relationships have said is that the communication has to be on the same level with the same definition for the words. Then there is the respect. Jim obviously respects Ann and vice a versa.

Well the search is on and I am taking some of what was said here as good advice. Start with a sailor. Make sure your dictionaries are the same. Respect going both ways. Meet in a sailing community.

I think that for a relationship to last you have to be spiritually compatible as well. Wish me luck.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 07:14   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys don't get my point.
I've been Married since 1982, so I admit I am way out of practice, but l don't think these things change.

If you were job hunting, would you not "clean up" meaning shave, wear clean, nice clothes etc?
Sure you would, but why? Because your "selling yourself" not literally of course but you are trying to present yourself in the best possible manner in the hopes of being hired, right?

Why would a Lady not deserve the same work / respect that a potential employer would?

OK, look at it from the other side.

You go to pick her up, her house is an absolute pig sty, it stinks, there are dirty dishes and dirty clothes thrown around and she is dressed like a slob.
Your dream girl, right?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 07:24   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't know anything about UK Politics, so I may be a Tory for all I know, but I am certainly no Fascist, but I do not take insult
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 07:28   #178
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dating, Relationships livingaboard

Quote:

You go to pick her up, her house is an absolute pig sty, it stinks, there are dirty dishes and dirty clothes thrown around and she is dressed like a slob.
Your dream girl, right?
Always meet in a bar..
That way if/when I get to her place I'm to drunk and horny to care..
The morning is another day.. and like men.. women can be house trained.. if they're worth the effort..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 07:36   #179

One of the "problems" that exists today that didn't in 1982 is the Internet. I say it is a problem, because it is extraordinarily easy to meet copious amounts of women these days if you have anything on the ball. And vice versa, it is easy for women to meet people as well, I really wonder if there is a real shift away from long term relationships since the world has shrunk so much with the advent of new technology.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 07:37   #180

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
You guys don't get my point.
I've been Married since 1982, so I admit I am way out of practice, but l don't think these things change.

If you were job hunting, would you not "clean up" meaning shave, wear clean, nice clothes etc?
Sure you would, but why? Because your "selling yourself" not literally of course but you are trying to present yourself in the best possible manner in the hopes of being hired, right?

Why would a Lady not deserve the same work / respect that a potential employer would?

OK, look at it from the other side.

Your dream girl, right?
I think the comments you received were more of a joking around with you. Which reflects on your easiness in the way you present yourself here. You are absolutely right about presenting your best self when applying for a job or meeting a date. For me, it's showing respect to the other person that I care to make a good presentation for them.
It works on both sides. Back in my trolling days, I would meet people online and for initial dates, go for coffee. Often times the person was 20 miles away. Often times I could tell what I was in for just by the length they were willing to go to meet. Most of the time, they would want to meet 1/2 a block from where they lived, making me drive to them. I usually found them to be self centered. But coffee dates are generally 20 minutes, or so, long, so no big deal. Others would meet me 1/2 way at a location and they were much more interesting to me. A few even came near my area and insisted on buying the coffee! Others would show up late and no thought put into their personal presentation.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote