Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 21:12   #106

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Dating, Relationships livingaboard

Quote:
Enough of this disappointing despair. Who cares about the statistics of the masses or what the behaviors may be the norm. If we were subject to normal we wouldn't be cruisers! Make a choice and work for it!
good one, Hudson! But, too few are willing to do the work. More like sitting back and waiting for their ideal mate to sail up in their Swan, pining for them! All while hanging out in their favorite loosers bar...

Jim
Old 19-04-2016, 21:20   #107

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
good one, Hudson! But, too few are willing to do the work. More like sitting back and waiting for their ideal mate to sail up in their Swan, pining for them! All while hanging out in their favorite loosers bar...

Jim
Hey Jim, that's abit rough. There are many good people out there that work hard at everything they do that are questioning the status quo.....we aren't all hanging out in our favourite loosers bar.
I also find it interesting that if someone questions the norm he or she must be negative, or are being gloomy......obviously a challenging subject for some

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 21:52   #108

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hey Jim, that's abit rough. There are many good people out there that work hard at everything they do that are questioning the status quo.....we aren't all hanging out in our favourite loosers bar.
I also find it interesting that if someone questions the norm he or she must be negative, or are being gloomy......obviously a challenging subject for some

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Fair enough, Dale, and for sure, there are folks working hard at various things. But we've been reading a few posts here bemoaning the lack of hot, young, adventurous, very attractive women that want to come live on a boat. And that women are universally (or nearly so) grasping and manipulative, only interested in (literally) feathering their white picket fence nests. And so on...

Well, Hudson and I both see things differently. We've met one hell of a lot of cruising couples, folks of all ages and degrees of "attractiveness", who seem to contradict this point of view. One of the common aspects of these successful cruising couples is that they put a good deal of effort in maintaining the stability of their relationship... the art of compromise is often practiced, and each may at times yield to the other's wishes... tht sort of thing.

And for the chap who required the young hotties, well, if he wants a cruising companion, he may have to relax his criteria a bit. If unable to do so, then the golf or other activity may be a better venue. I'm sure not Dear Abby, and do not as a rule comment on this sort of thread (that's Ann's role and her training as well). It's just that the denigration that was spewing around got my dander up... I'm likely better at the techo/sailing threads, and should maybe stay there!!

off soap box, back down on the cabin sole

Jim
Old 19-04-2016, 22:34   #109

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Dating, Relationships livingaboard

I'm guessing the guys that have trouble finding beautiful sail mates don't have Brad Pitt's looks, Bill Gates wallet or my ability to croon a melody.
Old 19-04-2016, 22:49   #110

For those of you hanging out in hope for a young hottie to come cruising with you, perhaps you should google La Vagabond for inspiration. Riley bought a boat in Italy and met Elana in Greece and now they are in the pacific.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RbnHh_K21FQ/hqdefault.jpg

I suspect part of Riley's success is that he was young enough to meet someone who was young enough that she is years off the "nest building" stage, plus she was already living an adventure as a backpacker far from home.

Most of us here are way to old to find someone at that stage of their life.

Unless you get very lucky to find one of the few single women of suitable age who are already ready to cast, then if you don't want to be single you need to plan to live on the dirt and hope she grows to like the cruising idea or look for a retiree who has the time for an adventure

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-04-2016, 23:04   #111

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
then if you don't want to be single you need to plan to live on the dirt and hope she grows to like the cruising idea or look for a retiree

And the worst thing is, this isn't even the worst post in the topic ...

On a side note: don't know just how young that girl is, but I bet she's old enough for a kid should she want one.
Old 19-04-2016, 23:20   #112

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Nice fish too.
Old 19-04-2016, 23:31   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

And the worst thing is, this isn't even the worst post in the topic ...
What's wrong with that

When it comes down to numbers, there will be a very small percentage of women in the population who would be willing, to cast off and cruise on a small yacht as a lifestyle rather than as a holiday.

The same applies to men as well, but given that more men own/sail yachts, the chances for you will be better, but still small.

I'm sure that if you were to survey all sailing club members, single or not, only a relatively small proportion would be interested or able to say, ok, I'll go. Some will say they prefer to race around cans and many will blame their career an want to wait for retirement.
Old 20-04-2016, 02:10   #114

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

daletournier,

From your time with the Tibetan monk, did you get the impression he was somehow out of balance because of sublimating his sexual urges?

It's really sort of not fair to bring in cross cultural concepts into this discussion; She31saailor is a current Yank. If you're interested, PM me, and I can give you some references you might enjoy. The training for monkhood that is started very young includes some concepts I cannot get my head around, but yet, seem to be great recipes for mental health.

Ann
Old 20-04-2016, 02:16   #115

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just suppose that She31Sailor wants a companion, not just social sex. There are a number of ways of coping with sexual urges when there is no partner around. It's not like this is a big secret.

So, we have a youngish man, who wants female companionship. OK. What should his course be?

I say, from knowledge of myself, that he should pursue his dreams. I think Lepke would agree. And this is even though we have very different views of womankind.

Ann
Old 20-04-2016, 03:26   #116
vjm

Taking a year or so to deal with the divorce before getting into a relationship with anyone would be a wise move. All "new to you" boats need work, so maybe there is a parallel calendar there. After that, being involved with things like racing, conservation groups, hiking and kayaking meet ups, etc. will give plenty of social life with lots of people who enjoy outdoorsy life. I think the year or so single is also a good idea to see if the liveaboard life sticks for the OP.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 03:52   #117

Been my experience that boats are like your motorcycle, classic car, band - what ever. Great! She loves them while you are dating, as soon as it turns into a relationship you are supposed to get rid of them!
I had one relationship end 30 seconds after the phrase "When we sell the boat" left her lips. It was never discussed, mentioned, hinted at etc. One day she just decided....
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 04:48   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
I should add,since clearly we have lost all sense of holding back...

My opening tirade is partially my own fault.

I like very, very attractive women and maybe 1 or 2 of those on all of Earth like to live on boats.

Can't go down to the regatta or docks to meet any because they all look like older Rosie O'Donnells.

I like hot, racy, in shape women who are very petite.

These aren't sailors. Even in college, the only ones that liked to sail were husky/butch.

I get plenty of women of the kind I prefer on land. Do any want to play house on a boat? Hell no.
I was planning to stay outta this thread until I read this BS. Small petite beautiful women don't sail? You gotta be kidding.. Some of the most beautiful sexy women I've ever seen have been on a sail boat. Many of these physically fit beautiful women even race.. In reading some of these posts, I'm of the opinion that many of the posters are either stuck on a dock in the states or spend all of their time sitting on a bar stool hoping to catch some skanky bar fly.

The truth is that men who sail and live aboard don't usually have an issue meeting women. Most "guys" do though. Most women who sail and live aboard don't have an issue meeting plenty of guys and even a few men.. However, the skanks and bar flies don't usually attract men, and mostly just get the guys whom as one poster put it, "are just looking for some strange". Or as I put it, looking for nothing other than a "masterbation station" with breasts. They totally deserve each other.

To SWL??, Sailing Lass your post was on point. People who follow their dreams are usually happier than those that are hung up on trivial circumstances and TRY to change them. Seems like the sailors that are just following their dreams always end up getting everything they desire. It's just a matter of timing, and one never knows when that time will suddenly show up.

To Boatman51 or 61? .. Some of us are even fortunate enough to meet a beautiful petite Latina who even though knows nothing about sailing or even how to swim, takes to "Boat Life" like a fish to water even learning to sail and even becoming a force to be reckoned with while racing her IC 24. ( I can hear her yelling at the other racers in Spanish even now as she jockeys for position)

Always and Forever,
Jsta_Rebel
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 05:05   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
I was planning to stay outta this thread until I read this BS. Small petite beautiful women don't sail? You gotta be kidding.. Some of the most beautiful sexy women I've ever seen have been on a sail boat. Many of these physically fit beautiful women even race.. l
I was also biting my tongue, trying to resist making a comment, but +1 000 000.

People who have such an idea are sailing in the wrong places.

I'll be in Sweden in a few weeks
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 05:10   #120
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'm surprised so many people suggest a disappointing fate in relationships. It's as if some are suggesting that the outcomes in life are things that happen to them instead of the products of their choices.
That's the truth!

Too many relationship really fall into the "roommates that sleep together" category instead a partnership.