Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 12:24   #151

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Re: Dating, Relationships livingaboard

This has been the most entertaining thread in a long time.

I like the silver lining attitude, wherein, living on the boat rules out quickly those that are not interested in that lifestyle. Thought there was a dating site for people living on boats or wanting to.

Can't fault anyone here that wants it all. Looks, fun, good work ethic. 35 years ago I knew I had found my husband when I saw him walking from the store with his Mr. Bill t-shirt on, striped suspenders, & plaid hat. No way you couldn't smile at that. He still has the suspenders.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 12:38   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

[QUOTE=goat: Lorena Bobbitt was a little slow with the sandwich one day.

Lorena Bobbitt changed her name and moved to Russia.

She goes by Chopacockof now.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 12:40   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Few women (few people actually) want to intentionally set themselves up for a lifetime of poverty.

Best of luck finding someone.
It's a matter of trade offs. If one's poverty is a result of concious freedom from 9-5 rat race, mortgages, car payments, etc. not so sure that it's not desirable. But in any case the goal is to find someone compatible with YOUR outlook on life. I'll let those deathly afraid of "poverty" to welcome their share of golddiggers and I'll take a "spiritual" type of a woman any time.

PS My friends who have been liveaboard cruisers for the past 25 years are objectively "poor" but judging from their own relationship and other factors (too personal to mention on a public forum) they may be the happiest people I have met in my life.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 12:43   #154
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
YAY, sexual assault jokes! Gosh those are ALWAYS a laugh riot. Even the 10000000000000000000000000 time they have been made.
I agree, but am going to assume it is a cultural thing where I'm reading it wrong.
Old 20-04-2016, 13:04   #155

Boat: Rafiki 37

I can't believe that I have to do this, but apparently I need to point out that the first part of my post was sarcasm
Old 20-04-2016, 13:11   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
I was planning to stay outta this thread until I read this BS. Small petite beautiful women don't sail? You gotta be kidding.. Some of the most beautiful sexy women I've ever seen have been on a sail boat. Many of these physically fit beautiful women even race.. In reading some of these posts, I'm of the opinion that many of the posters are either stuck on a dock in the states or spend all of their time sitting on a bar stool hoping to catch some skanky bar fly.

The truth is that men who sail and live aboard don't usually have an issue meeting women. Most "guys" do though. Most women who sail and live aboard don't have an issue meeting plenty of guys and even a few men.. However, the skanks and bar flies don't usually attract men, and mostly just get the guys whom as one poster put it, "are just looking for some strange". Or as I put it, looking for nothing other than a "masterbation station" with breasts. They totally deserve each other.

To SWL??, Sailing Lass your post was on point. People who follow their dreams are usually happier than those that are hung up on trivial circumstances and TRY to change them. Seems like the sailors that are just following their dreams always end up getting everything they desire. It's just a matter of timing, and one never knows when that time will suddenly show up.

To Boatman51 or 61? .. Some of us are even fortunate enough to meet a beautiful petite Latina who even though knows nothing about sailing or even how to swim, takes to "Boat Life" like a fish to water even learning to sail and even becoming a force to be reckoned with while racing her IC 24. ( I can hear her yelling at the other racers in Spanish even now as she jockeys for position)

Always and Forever,
Jsta_Rebel

Show me *any* in the USA. Any.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 13:21   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I can't believe that I have to do this, but apparently I need to point out that the first part of my post was sarcasm
and received as such,hence the African anecdote.........

though I would have to point out spousal abuse here in the old world these days is not only limited to women ,there are also many men who have to live with this on a daily basis.

womens groups have been great at highlighting feminist awareness, creating refuges and support networks,sadly men have not fared so well as the subject is generally taboo amongst men and mens groups.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 13:29   #158

This has been an entertaining thread.

I'm especially entertained by the characters in the posters' minds. These old, gray, dirty, greasy guys on derelict boats swimming ashore to get lit at the bar every night. ha ha ha

Truth of the matter is this: Boats are highly socially isolating by their nature and consume lots of your free time.

It is for those reasons, you are far less likely to meet people living aboard (unless you have a dock and car).

Even if you were lucky enough to meet someone, the odds she wants to go on a boat to live are next to nill (she's general population).

The sailing enthusiasts don't have to look good (and don't) because they are getting by on the"cool chick vibe" and have plenty of boat dude opportunity with a 1,000,000:1 ratio of male sailors to female sailors.

With that said, I'm taking a year off the boat. Grabbing an RV and going to socialize. I have super hot girls all across the country to go visit with. Many of them in college or tied to careers or family inland. None want to leave these things, but are excited if I were to hang out with them in their life. So, time for a land based adventure full of people and fun. Enough of this forced social isolation.

And don't tell me chillin with the retired dudes and couples on boats is socializing for a single guy. ha ha ha
Old 20-04-2016, 13:34   #159

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
YAY, sexual assault jokes! Gosh those are ALWAYS a laugh riot. Even the 10000000000000000000000000 time they have been made.
You're welcome.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 13:35   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post

I'm especially entertained by the characters in the posters' minds. These old, gray, dirty, greasy guys on derelict boats swimming ashore to get lit at the bar every night. ha ha ha

Truth of the matter is this: Boats are highly socially isolating by their nature and consume lots of your free time.

It is for those reasons, you are far less likely to meet people living aboard (unless you have a dock and car).

Even if you were lucky enough to meet someone, the odds she wants to go on a boat to live are next to nill (she's general population).

The sailing enthusiasts don't have to look good (and don't) because they are getting by on the"cool chick vibe" and have plenty of boat dude opportunity with a 1,000,000:1 ratio of male sailors to female sailors.

With that said, I'm taking a year off the boat. Grabbing an RV and going to socialize. I have super hot girls all across the country to go visit with. Many of them in college or tied to careers or family inland. None want to leave these things, but are excited if I were to hang out with them in their life.
isn't there a bit of a stigma living in a trailer in the usa
Old 20-04-2016, 13:40   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
isn't there a bit of a stigma living in a trailer in the usa
Only if it's permanent. If on a road trip and you're not broke, you're good.

Told a couple girls I was thinking about doing it... responses?

"OMG!!! DO IT!"
"When do you get to California?? "
"Can I come for part of the trip??"
"That's sooooo cool."

And the number of girls that would jump in to go to Coachella, Burning Man, Electric Forest, etc? I couldn't even fit them in a bus.

Boats are love life killers, despite the fact that I love em to death.

Every girl wants to go on a comfortable, exciting road trip. When I try to explain how great boats are, the replies are:

"Don't you get bored sitting on a boat?"
"What do you do all day?"
"I get sea sick"
"It only goes 8mph?!?? Screw that!"

I'm not from a country where we have many good single women of depth and quality. ha haha

You play the hand you are dealt.
Old 20-04-2016, 13:43   #162
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dating, Relationships livingaboard

Quote:

With that said, I'm taking a year off the boat. Grabbing an RV and going to socialize. I have super hot girls all across the country to go visit with. Many of them in college or tied to careers or family inland. None want to leave these things, but are excited if I were to hang out with them in their life. So, time for a land based adventure full of people and fun. Enough of this forced social isolation.

And don't tell me chillin with the retired dudes and couples on boats is socializing for a single guy. ha ha ha
Bludi Amateurs the lot of you.. hooked on habit.. pull into a marina, head for the Tiki Bar.. eat, drink, wobble to the dink alone..

Anchor off a nice beach within comfortable swimming distance.. and only talk to the good swimmers.. if they've swum out.. they're interested..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 13:45   #163
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Only if it's permanent. If on a road trip and you're not broke, you're good.

probably not being broke is the,single most attractive attribute for whatever your path in life
Old 20-04-2016, 14:38   #164

Quote:

Ewwww. That was kinda shallow and superficial.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 16:20   #165

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Ewwww. That was kinda shallow and superficial.
And this surprises you?

Jim