Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
Damm! It's Tuff 'Out There' Sailing

These folks don't have to worry about "engine maintenance in exotic locations." When I stumbled on this sycophantic piece of journalism, I took a moment to decide whether I was jealous of these people and their privleged life style. HOWEVER, after a nanosecond, I started to experience a rising tide of nausea and went back to fixing Pelican's blocked head. An activity that is a sure cure for nausea. Come to think of it, Mrs Grosvenor might have dropped her 10 caret diamond down there. While I am heading inside - Can I get anyone a cool glass of "Chateau GFC, Schadenfreude, vintage 2008"?

Below are extracts from a Florida mullet wrapper circa 2006 Your Yacht or Mine? | Gulfshore Life Magazine - The Magazine of Naples and Ft. Myers

"More typical is the stiff upper lip exhibited by a friend from London who joined David and Lee Ann Lester in Tortola, in the British Virgin Isles. They were enjoying a midnight cocktail when the yacht foundered* on a rocky outpost, perilously close to a waterfront restaurant. While the crew and some of the restaurant staff extracted the ship, the Lesters' pal assured his hosts that it only made his vacation more exciting."

My 2c = Where was the captain when the behmoth / gin palace "foundered" on the "rocky outpost" off of the restaurant. Maybe he was sipping on a midnight cocktail as well.
*[to founder, verb = To sink below the surface of the water: The ship struck a reef and foundered.]

"And it's true that something exciting can happen at any moment. At last year's Bal de la Mer, the annual yacht rendezvous in Monaco, the romance of the tiny principality proved infectious at a gathering aboard Penny and Lee Andersons' 177-foot Trinity yacht, Katharine. In front of a group that included jewelry designer Michael Beaudry, the Andersons' friend Mark Grosvenor sank to one knee and re-proposed to his wife of 20 years, Melissa, with a 10-carat Beaudry-designed diamond ring. "
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:05   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
, captain when the behmoth / gin palace "foundered" on the "rocky outpost" off of the restaurant. Maybe he was sipping on a midnight cocktail as well.

Sounds reasonable! Sinking while sinking one. Or two! No better way to go!

If I could afford spirits (hard liquor to Americans) Sea Life would be a Gin Palace too! But its just a Beer Parlor!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
God bless the rich

I have crewed on the yachts of the rich, they have their place in our humble world! There is a whole industry of captains and crew that have a blast sailing beautiful vessels to exotic places just so the rich can fly in on their jets, hop aboard for a day or two, and then fly off again. It is really great, God bless em! how else can us simple folks sail big beautiful yachts AND get paid for it? ahh thems were good times

Erika
Old 10-04-2010, 10:47   #4

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Let's not forget here people that we are all rich in our own right. If you can buy a boat and cruise, then generally speaking you are making more money than the majority of people.

This article did make me want to f*&king hurl chunks though.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:58   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
"It is the great privilege of poverty to be happy and yet unenvied, to be healthy with physic, secure without a guard, and to obtain from the bounty of nature what the great and wealthy are compelled to procure by the help of art." Johnson

When I read this quote I pictured one of the homeless guys that I help out now and then, he has such a twinkle in his eyes and beautiful bedraggled smile. (but stay up wind )

Erika
Old 10-04-2010, 12:16   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
he has such a twinkle in his eyes and beautiful bedraggled smile. (but stay up wind )

Erika
Thats exakkery what Nicolle says of me!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 00:23   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
I've never seen writing like that that wasn't parody. I suppose it was written in all seriousness though. Sad.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote