Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2011, 14:34   #1

Boat: 1978 C.N.S.O Mikado 56
Curtains

My boat did not come with curtains, or any hardware for curtains. I am looking for some how-to's on making my own curtains for my boat. I really do not want to see someone peeking in my porthole one morning while I am laying in bed...
Pixistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 14:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Curtains

Simple plastic top rail with plastic hooks so it doesn't corrode. Boaty pictures on the fabric and a nice thin piece of teak as the bottom rail to hold the curtains close to the side.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 14:49   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Kind of a tricky question, there are all kinds of ways depending on your budget, ingenuity, and what the curtains are supposed to be covering. That is the size and shape of the windows/ports. There is a product called Peek a Boos which is basically a plastic shutter. It's what I use. They attach to the window with velcro tabs. Slide them one way and they open, slide the other and they close. Not bad, there is some issue with the adhesive holding the velcro tabs getting tired but they do the job. I'll attach a link.

I've heard of some people buying shower caps with the elastic bands and stretching them around their ports. Others follow the same idea but choose their fabric and sew their own. Curtain hardware is available from many marine vendors such as Defender or Sailrite. Again its a sew your own. In our v-berth I went simple and just cover the portlights with aluminum foil. There are roller shades and probably still other products.

One small consideration is how disturbing would it be to you if said curtains flop around at anchor as the boat rolls? For a few people this might induce sea sickness or make it worse if it already existed. Top and bottom curtain rods perhaps.

Another consideration, how well will they protect your privacy if the port is open? A bit trickier.

It's really a personal preference. Anyway here is the link to what I use:

Peek a Booo™ sailboat privacy shutters, blinds, shades, and window treatments for portlights and hatches by ZARCOR

Good luck,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 15:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
I really do not want to see someone peeking in my porthole one morning while I am laying in bed...
Most sailors like it but go figure. First rule for cutains. NO NATURAL fibers. Cotton is not allowed on the boat. They will get gross and you'll need to toss them - honest"

We have a neat plastic rod that screws flat over the port and then has a track that you sew these little knobs to the curtain (at the pletes) and slide over the end of the track. To clean the curtain you unscrew the end stopper and and and slide the curtain off and toss it in the laundry (somebody then washes it go figure).

For the most part unless you are at a floating dock nobody ever peeks. If it's a good show who would complain? OK, we have curtains on all the ports even at anchor. The admiral is pretty sure they are all closed tight.

I think that method works well so you can wash them. If your ports are big enough to need blinds then you are on a trawler. I'm talking sail boat ports.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 15:44   #5

Boat: 1978 C.N.S.O Mikado 56

Sleeping in in the morning is not giving a show though. It is a sailboat, and not on a floating dock.
Pixistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 09:07   #6

Boat: Chrysler Pirateer 13'

My inlaws made tiny curtain rods for their sailboat by getting 1/4 inch dowel rods from home depot cut to size. I can't remember how they attached them but they sewed their own tiny valence curtains from a good thick material to not let light in. I know they can pop the dowels in and out easily. If you are interested, I can ask them for details.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:14   #7

Wait a few years. The sun has nicely yellowed our ports so no one can see in.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 09:25   #8
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I like flat tailored pannels cut to the shape of the porthole and secured with velcro (put the fuzzy side on the port frame)

Easy off and easy to stow, good light block and privacy when in place.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:58   #9

I think I saw some blog, not sure what one (sorry I can't give credit where credit is due) that they used microfiber mop head covers and they just got stretched over the port kind of like a sock. They had 2 colors if memory served, white filtered light, and a blue one blocked the light. Did not sound to me like it would look very nice, but would make a great temporary solution while you found something else!
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:51   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

We have replaced ours this year. I have made them in two-folded acrylic. I can fold one layer up if I want more light without loosing my intimacy.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixistix View Post
My boat did not come with curtains, or any hardware for curtains. I am looking for some how-to's on making my own curtains for my boat. I really do not want to see someone peeking in my porthole one morning while I am laying in bed...
A couple of inexpensive and simple alternatives can be seen at OceanAir Interiors SKYscreens, HATCHshades, PORTshades, and PLEATEDshades for sailboat port lights and hatches and Peek a Booo™ sailboat privacy shutters, blinds, shades, and window treatments for portlights and hatches by ZARCOR

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Very nice curtains came with my boat: I removed them and replaced them with external covers:

Sail Delmarva: Salon Window Covers

Why? They cluttered the rather modern cabin, then conflicted with book shelves, and they reduced viability a bit. Alternatively, external covers protect the windows and keep heat out of the boat (and warmth in in the winter).

In my case, external covers were easy because of the window mountings.

In the sleeping cabins, our ports are very dark and you can't see in.

Every boat is different.
Old 02-04-2011, 21:50   #13

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have the Hatchshade covers shown in this ad from Oceanair. They were on the boat and have been in use for a long time on 10 ports. I also have the outside snapon covers for the larger cabin windows. Good privacy.
Old 06-04-2011, 15:29   #14

We had external covers also, made by the previous owner. They were a toast-colored sunbrella and let a lovely filtered gold light down below. But it was something of a PITA to go topside every time we wanted to open or shut them - especially when raining. Made the investment in Peek-a-Booos and just love 'em. Easy to clean and very very sleek on our odd-shaped ports & "windows"
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 16:00   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
We had external covers also, made by the previous owner. They were a toast-colored sunbrella and let a lovely filtered gold light down below. But it was something of a PITA to go topside every time we wanted to open or shut them - especially when raining. Made the investment in Peek-a-Booos and just love 'em. Easy to clean and very very sleek on our odd-shaped ports & "windows"
No question, they serve slightly different purposes. We also have internal shades in the sleeping cabins.

Giving the amount of bird p__ we seem to collect, the external shades are worth it, just for that!