Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02   #1

Cruising start up costs

Other than the boat itself, what are the cruising start-up costs that really add up? I'm trying to put together a budget and I know I will grossly understimate the costs just like everyone else. But maybe we can help each other out.

Things like unexpected haul outs for cutless bearing changes, additional fenders, things missed in the survey.....

Thanks for your help!

J
tookish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Cruising start up costs

So open ended I don't see a way to give a really useful answer. Unless you can list what's on the boat and the condition no way for someone on the internet to tell if you need new fenders or a new cutlass bearing. Will you need a couple of extra snatch blocks or replace a winch? Don't know. What's in the locker on the boat? You might have a couple dozen spare blocks or the PO could have taken them all home and left you none.

Then a lot of the costs can vary significantly depending on where you are. I had my boat short hauled for survey in NY and paid about $900. I had it hauled, blocked and braced in FL and paid less than half that.

Also a lot of the costs will depend a lot on the size of the boat. Hauling a 30' boat is half the cost of hauling a 60' boat.

First, what's the boat. What's the age and condition of: standing and running rigging, sails, winches, engine, electrical system, plumbing (pumps, hoses, heads, etc), anchoring system (anchors, chain, windlass), etc. And a big question how much will you do yourself vs paying a boat yard.

With that information you can get pretty good estimates on the cost of new rigging, new sails, new parts and how much to get them installed.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36   #3

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookish1 View Post
Other than the boat itself, what are the cruising start-up costs that really add up? I'm trying to put together a budget and I know I will grossly understimate the costs just like everyone else. But maybe we can help each other out.

Things like unexpected haul outs for cutless bearing changes, additional fenders, things missed in the survey.....

Thanks for your help!

J
Here is the first 6 years of a circumnavigation. It includes everything except the cost of the boat:
S/V BeBe: Costs

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:50   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

It very much depend on the boat. I chose my C27 with costs in mind while I learn and make mistakes, the are the model T of cruisers. I bought it 2 months ago and my boats ad said "ready to sail" but I knew better going in.

Here is a brief list so far.

PFDs, Hawse pipe, new stove top, new motor (outboard thankfully), $100 just for the wire to move the batteries, swim ladder, sun glasses, knives, a second set of dock lines, water jugs, fuel jugs, fuel line, hinges, stainless hardware, bow roller, LED bulbs, solar panel and regulator, lamps, flashlight, binocs, charts, gps, flares, rain gear, new flooring for the cabin sole, insurance, registration, dock fees, new batteries, floppy hat, shower shoes, sunscreen, padlocks, space heater, curtains, rebedding windows, rebedding deck hardware.

These are just off the top of my head. Getting the boat pulled monday so there add the bottom job, renaming, thru hulls, orbital buffer and polish to the list for next week.

I love my boat and we take it out almost every weekend. Spent our first six day shakedown over New Years and plan another 5 day shakedown next month, after that its off to the Keys and Dry Tortugas for a month.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Mine cost nothing more than the boat.
Because there was a currency fluctuation between when I made the deposit and paid the balance and I lost 5% of my money. That was the fix it up and cruise kitty.
I was left over with $625 and told Nicolle she had a choice:food or an EPIRB

Great diet that.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:23   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

start up costs???? dunno--i never paid attention--paid about everyone and everything else, but not attention. my boat is a trade from another boat i still own, and will until next year, june. then goes to the man i bought this one from. whew.
i have lived on board since 1990.
things change.
i prefer my 41 ft boat--isnt too bad in summer when docking is a priority for named storms..fees for docking -- depends on location...
.haulout--depends on location.
foodstuffs--depends on location..
and tastes.>LOL
repairs are needed and warn usually before the disaster is to come....heed the warnings and save well monthly for the emergency not yet experienced....
spare parts are good to have. helps to reduce the overall maintenance costs.

every individual's cruising costs and living aboard costs differ greatly depending on personality and lifestyle. your needs are very different than mine ....will be priced accordingly. also depends on how soon you learn to avoid mega priced marine stores....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Don't know if you would call these start up costs but these are costs for a 42' cutter rig that I planned on when I bought the boat. No labor costs included since I'm doing all my own and I don't pay myself very much. Dollar amounts are rounded off to the nearest whole boat unit.

New standing rigging. $3000
New main $3000
New 135 Genoa $3000
All new pumps (bilge, shower, sump, water pressure, washdown) $1000
Two high output alternators, used. $300
New refrigerator compressor/evaporator $1300
Epoxies, caulks, polyester resins, fiberglass cloth, rollers, paint, etc. $1000
Hull peel and seal $6000
All new upholstery. $1500
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising