Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 19:38   #1

Boat: cal 2-25
Cruising is a Philosophy

After many years of trying to understand what it would take and what would be necessary "for me " to pursue my unyielding desire to follow my dream of traveling the oceans by means of my own prudence and abilities aboard my own boat, I have concluded that there are many right paths. And without doubt,... many wrong ones. I have questions that have lead to answers but also more questions. What is bluewater? What is coastal cruising? What boat would be required based on my expectations and personal comfort level? Can I sail around the world ... Or will I be content just exploring my very small space that is familiar and relatively close by,...say the Bahamas and western Caribbean ?

Oh ... and how much knowledge will I need that I may not already possess? How will I know the boat is what I need it to be? Trust someone who is suppose to know and spot the things that I am sure to overlook ? Am I a good enough sailor? Do I truly understand what I am getting myself into? Have I read all the books I need? Do I understand navigation in such a way that if all electronics were fried would I still find my port of destination? Will I learn to have the skill to read the sea before it takes me and swallows me? And storm tactics ...can I control my boat in all the conditions in which I am surely to find myself?

I think these and many more questions I have are like most all other aspects of life in which the entire process as a whole will be determined and initiated by something within me personally. No one can give me all the right answers and when all is said and done, I will achieve and succeed, or fail in this because of my philosophy and who I am as a person. I will have to do this based on who I am and my philosophy in life.

Some can't shove off until they have a cool mil in the bank and half of that in a boat. Some spring to there feet on a whim and trade there harley for a decent 30 foot antique with a hit and miss engine ,..and some...well some sell their entire life that they have worked for ,..30 - 40 years... and get the best that will afford them. Are they all not pursuing the same thing? Can not all of them succeed ? Is there a right boat,.. and a right time , and a right answer? Yes many right answers. And many right boats. I am sure when I am in a far away port sipping on a nice cool drink I will see all sorts of right answers because I think the right answer is more of a philosophy rather than a collection of objects and intellects .

I have learned so much reading these pages of intellect and foolishness. I have learned being a successful sailor is an art that is drawn by ones own philosophy and the type person one is rather than a certain skill set and bank account. I will go with what I know is right for me within reason and never look back and I will know that I will take with me when I go the same philosophy that I have always used in life and in doing this I will succeed in achieving my goal and be satisfied I did it right ,...my way.

So do I need a full keel or will a fin and spade do the trick? What do you think?

Mark
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 19:51   #2

Boat: Oyster 53
Re: Cruising is a Philosophy

Ha! Yes and no to your questions.

You already have the answer.

Remember, there is truth in action.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 10-10-2013, 19:57   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cruising is actually a way of life and a lifestyle.
you can do it with or without money. that is your own choice. the longer ye wait, the less life you have.
cruising is also a way to repair your boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 20:05   #4
cruiser

Fin, skeg and listen to Zee.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 20:17   #5

I always do read what zee posts on here with anticipation of her reflections. And as a whole I feel that she would exhibit that I would consider to be a good and sound philosophy . I once stated my opinion to a fellow that was shipping his 40 foot endeavor to the coast in order to embark on his dream of sailing away without an end game. I had noticed he had no sea anchoring tackle and his reply was if things got that bad he would just fire up the engine. He appeared not to take kindly my stating that counting on an engine for certain things to me was a failed philosophy . I still think that is true......for me that is.
Old 10-10-2013, 20:27   #6

I never have a parachute in my plane....but I alleyways carry my lifejacket...
Cruising is like Buddhism...It is the best philosophy...Hi Zee....sea you soon ,my friend.
Cheers gotta go back to work...
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 20:38   #7

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Good work storm sailor, and good luck with Step 2.

The beauty of it all is that there are many waters to explore, something suitable for every sailor no matter how green, and for every boat no matter how humble. Your partnership with that boat is what will determine your path, along with the direction of the wind and the current.

Love the adventure while respecting the sea.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 20:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
I never have a parachute in my plane....but I alleyways carry my lifejacket... Cruising is like Buddhism...It is the best philosophy...Hi Zee....sea you soon ,my friend. Cheers gotta go back to work...

Exactly.... Not sure that maybe I wouldn't reconsider that parachute thing ....and I guess Buddhism would be a religious philosophy. So just perhaps cruising would be a religious exercise in seamanship . That do seem to ring a bell.
Old 10-10-2013, 20:57   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sail as many boats as you can before you buy one. they dont sell well anymore, and you might be stuck with something you arent eactly smitten with.
buy what you love when you find it....if you like the boat you will use it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 21:01   #10

Buddhism is NOT a religion-Cheers

...come sea and listen, but donut believe...until you thoroughly investigate..Cheers

parachutes are as useless as a screen door on a submarine in a Cessna 172 HP on floats....I would die before I ever skydived....im Acrophobiac's
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:28   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Crusing is a philosophy, ... a study of the nature of existence and truth. I often overlook profound meanings while cruising, but I can easily agree with this. Independence and self-reliance are a natures of existence that are fundamental to cruising. Problem solving, navigating and anticipating needs are constant exercises in honoring truth.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:08   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Crusing is a philosophy
This is all a bit highbrow for a cruising electronics/software engineer.

dave
Old 11-10-2013, 05:18   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyWoodie View Post
Buddhism is NOT a religion-Cheers ...
There are a lot of people here in Thailand (95% Buddhist) that will disagree with that characterization.
Old 11-10-2013, 14:55   #14

Boat: contessa 32

Many Buddhists and others, would argue that it (Buddahism) is more of a philosophy. Tend to agree.

I find sailing is particularly conducive to philosophic speculation.Come on folks, help me out with this one!
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 15:23   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cruising is actually a way of life and a lifestyle.
Indeed. There are cruising philosophies, but that doesn't make cruising a philosophy.

I tend to think of it as an art.