Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 12:12   #1

Boat: Delphia 37
Cruising in your mid-50's stories - did it happen/didn't it happen?

My basic question is what are your experiences personally or though others about going out in your mid-50's? Did it happen, didn't happen, happened but was a bust due to age/life priorities?

Cruising/sailing around the world has always been a dream of mine and one I've lost touch with the past few years. Largely due to fear of instability (career/financially), having a kid didn't help the original plan too much either. As a work myself through my mid-life crisis stage (just turned 40) I'm dusting off this dream and it seems more achievable than ever. My worry is mostly physical, would we (wife and I) physically and mentally be up for the cruising life style for ~5 years starting out at age 56?

I've read time and time again putting off your dreams is a great way of making sure they never happen for any number of reason, I'm looking for insight in the reality of this.

Current rough plan is we spend the next ~ 16 years preparing
- Get the kid out of high school
- Spend time on Lake Superior and the Great Lakes truly learning seamanship and what this life style would entail (we already did bareboat charter classes, have done BVI/Lake Superior bareboats charters ourselves but that's trivial compared to long term goals). Work up towards ever increasing trip lengths/complexity, we line in Minnesota so this works out well.
- Get the financial war chest in place (retirement set aside, $500k for 5 years of sailing [$300k boat/$40k per year]

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:42   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cruising in your mid-50's stories - did it happen/didn't it happen?

So I just turned 59 and I guess I'd say start small, don't bite off more than you can chew so you keep your enthusiasm up and you don't get that "I have spent so much money and what have I got?" doubt creep in. By small I mean staying close somewhere, short trips, smallish boat to get used to it all and be sure its really for you and others with you. I think there are folks who have had a dream for a while and they feel time is running out so they better jump in with both feet. Big boat, take lessons and cast off. Seems a good way to spoil a good dream to me. As far as health I think you'll find plenty of older folks out there sailing, but many do want to stay fairly close to good medical facilities. The dream is certainly achievable. And depending on your list of needs vs wants, and where you want to go, it may be a little less costly than you are thinking. Remember, your plan is as much a round the world cruise as it is make-the-ocean-your-home plan. How do you feel about being out on the water for long periods? So I'd say start now not just saving cash but doing the sailing and little cruises to find out how it feels.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:00   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
$300k boat/$40k per year
$300k is a LOT of boat!

I'd done much the same as you, put my dreams aside for "practical" reasons. But I just turned 50 and decided to just go for it. I realized that one thing holding me back was my desire for a 40-45ft catamaran, which would cost a lot, making the dream seem out of reach. I decided to look around and found a nice, older Morgan 462 ketch that was very affordable. Now the wife and I are on a shorter 5-year plan to get it and ourselves ready to go cruising. Decide what it is you really need, as opposed to want. You may find your dream is much closer than you think.

-David
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:03   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Why wait SOOOO long. 16 years preparing when you know don't probably know what you'll be doing in 2 years and you really won't know in 10 years.

Why not buy a smaller boat that you, your wife and kids can go use now even if on a lake. You will learn a lot and it won't costs that much when you realize how much fun you'll have.

We had boats from the time both my daughters were 2-3 years old till now they are 22-24. Lots of good times and lots of memories made out sailing and boating. In fact my 22 year old just went to the dry tortugas with us and said it was the best vacation she's had (so far).

On your numbers, 300K boat, $100/K a year for 5 years of cruising. You could book the queen mary non stop at $100K a year. You can tone /budget that way down some. $300K boat, sure if you want to spend that much.

Again, I'd get something NOW and learn how to use it and store it if and when you're not.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:09   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I retired at 48 and went sailing. Now 8 years later i am 27.

Try it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 14:01   #6

Boat: Delphia 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So I just turned 59 and I guess I'd say start small... Remember, your plan is as much a round the world cruise as it is make-the-ocean-your-home plan.
Thanks for the make-the-ocean-your-home thinking, really puts the core things to be thinking about in perspective. Something smaller (more affordable, easier to handle, less upkeep etc.) makes a lot of sense, for the great lakes I'm guessing the experiences and lessons learned you can have in 32-34 feet vs. 38 feet are about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
$300k is a LOT of boat!
You may find your dream is much closer than you think.

-David
Rough number, balancing the life style we want for our child vs. our (my) goals I think is the core challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtBroker View Post
Why wait SOOOO long. 16 years preparing when you know don't probably know what you'll be doing in 2 years and you really won't know in 10 years.

On your numbers, 300K boat, $100/K a year for 5 years of cruising. You could book the queen mary non stop at $100K a year. You can tone /budget that way down some. $300K boat, sure if you want to spend that much.

Again, I'd get something NOW and learn how to use it and store it if and when you're not.
16 years is a long time, my biggest worry and the premise of this thread. Numbers wise, very rough outline. Was $40k/yr not $100k/yr as you show. I know the bottom limit is somewhere around $20k/yr, just trying to plan realistically (flights for family events etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Great to hear from you, I remember reading in this forum when you really got going.
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 14:08   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm 56, have quit my job, wife's last work day this Friday, working on emptying and selling the house, cruising starting in Sept, $3,000/mo budgeted (boat paid off). Been working the plan for 9 years starting from 0 sailing experience.

Hope it's all doable. Good luck to you!
Old 03-08-2016, 14:16   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Marty, I left when I was 48, although my partner was 53, so kinda mid-50s. We've left with a lot less boat (cost wise) and lot less play money. Only you know if you need such an expensive boat and such a large budget, but if you cut it down you get out here faster. Makes more sense to me to go now. To each his own...

My suggestion is always to get a descent, solid older cruising boat in the 26 to 32 foot range, and get out there and do it. Cruise Lake Superior. It's some of the greatest cruising grounds anywhere. And if you can handle Superior, they say you can handle most anything.

After a few seasons on The Big Lake, you'll really know what boat you need. And more importantly, you'll know if you want to cruise.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 03-08-2016, 14:27   #9

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Try it.
x 2 on that.

My boat has taught me so much more than I can even express, but most of all it has taught me to GET OUT OF BED AND DO IT.

The thing is, start now. and Now and NOW.

Pretty soon you won't just be planning, it will be a "Thing you are doing",

After all you are what you practice, and what you practice is who you are.

BTW : more to your question. I started sailing very young and got away from it for way too long. I started again in my 50's, found my smile again and now that I'm in my 60's again, no regrets. I even actually kind of liked the storms I've been in. ( kind of )
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 14:53   #10

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

We started exactly one year ago at the tender ages of 57 and 58. $45,000 Island Packet 31 and a meager budget of $2000 per month not counting health insurance. (We left with three years of paid health insurance coverage..) We are loving the lifestyle and can only say, "Go now if you can make it happen."

So far we are staying darn close to budget and still having more fun than we deserve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1470261222.785789.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	128966

Mike and Brenda
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 14:56   #11

Boat: Leopard 43

Hi Marty,

We just went through a similar plan and have arrived at our last couple months of work. We are in our late 40s and it took us 8 years to save, purchase the boat and outfit her for long term cruising. Our budget is similar to yours although we are shooting to spend 2k - 3k month. We purchased a 43' Catamaran from the Moorings that was lightly used in one of their smaller bases and have added the equipment we wanted. This is the only way we could afford a 40' + Catamaran and so far we are very happy with our decision.

We started sailing in our 30s and did a few charters and joined a local sailing club in SoCal and rented their boats on the weekends. This was a great way to do some coastal cruising at a minimum expense. We also sailed in a bunch of races as crew on some larger boats. People are always looking for reliable crew and are usually willing to train you. You will get some great sailing experience racing.

My advise would be to keep your diet clean and keep exercising. When you get older it is harder to get back in shape and cruising and living on a boat is a somewhat demanding and active lifestyle.

Having a goal like this makes life a lot easier especially when you are spending all those hours at work.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 14:58   #12

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

+1 on the "start small and start doing it" advice.

We've seen others quit the job, sell the house, buy the big boat, take off, and come back miserable six months later.

It seems to work better if it's a hobby and a love that grows.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 15:53   #13

Boat: Freedom 38

Great advice you've already gotten here. I'm not quite at cruising stage yet, but close, having started 6 years ago when I downsized all my "stuff" including furniture, bought the boat 3.5 years ago, and been learning a lot in the meantime such as working on anchoring skills and figuring out what the boat needs. I thought I'd be ready this year, but I said yes to another client (I'm a consultant) so have put it off another two years when I'll be 53. It's actually a good thing because I did a bunch of work on the boat (which I bought for $50K) and I need the extra cash right now!

As to 16 years and $300K, this seems like a long time in the future and a lot of money for a first boat, but everyone goes about it a little differently -- some with higher tolerances to little savings and more potential risk -- that only you will know for sure. I jumped into a big boat with no experience, but having these years to really focus on skills has been a huge confidence booster for when I do take off.

Good luck!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 17:29   #14
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Make your plans; save for retirement; get an affordable boat; take some smaller trips and learn boat repair skills. Sailing is the easy stuff. Fixing is a bitch to do RIGHT.

You cannot guess where you will be exactly 16 years from now, so don't worry about it. If it comes it comes.

As you get closer you can throttle up and spend more time out there acclimating to the lifestyle change.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 17:46   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

We are 48 (me) 53 (him). Just go. You sound lke you have good investments. Make them work for you earlier. Dont wait trying to make more money. There is never "enough" but its always sufficient. Yes, if you can, this second is great. But more I mean to not expect your ducks to align just so. It wont happen.
Unless you are planning marinas and marimba every night, you dont need 40,000 a year to cruise. You dont need a 300,000 boat either. Of course, yiu can spend all you want. But money wont make your dreams happen. What makes your dreams happen is to prioritize them.
Is a far off shore and sunset with foreign smells and sounds a priority? Is seeking adventure a priority?
Kids, by the by, reputedly do very well with home school and life nuanced by self sufficientcy and new experiences. Money, more of it, wont give you those things.
Security is knowing you are comfortable anywhere.

Tags
cruising