Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2016, 09:20   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Cruising in your mid-50's stories - did it happen/didn't it happen?

Bravo that woman - she was focussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The woman in question, also bought the spinnaker for that boat, as well, 'cause she wanted one.

Ann

Old 05-08-2016, 12:45   #62

No one knows for sure what is going to happen with their health, but age is just a number. Walter Cronkite was still sailing solo, in a fairly sizeable yacht, well into his 80s. You're only too old if you believe that you are too old.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:49   #63
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No one knows for sure what is going to happen with their health, but age is just a number. Walter Cronkite was still sailing solo, in a fairly sizeable yacht, well into his 80s. You're only too old if you believe that you are too old.
You're too old when your body says you are. That in a nutshell is the problem!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:47   #64

Quote:
And, Jack LaLane was still in great shape when he was 95 years old. That doesn't mean everyone can do that. To be in really good physical condition at advanced age is a lifelong commitment.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:06   #65

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
Largely due to fear of instability (career/financially)
I have a club if you're interested in joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
- Get the financial war chest in place (retirement set aside, $500k for 5 years of sailing [$300k boat/$40k per year]
Impressive!

I'm considering a similar goal (without the $500k of course). I for one would not let too many physical limitations stop me. The more you think about that crap the easier it will be to talk yourself out of it; fear is a powerful drug.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2016, 22:05   #66

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

Great responses to your post. I can only add that you can always work, sailing is a physical endeavor and it helps to be as young as you can afford. As on person said go NOW!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:22   #67
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I retired at age 56, and started looking for a boat. We bought an Island Packet 380 the next year, and did a lot of cruising around the Chesapeake to get comfortable with her. We sailed out to Bermuda the following year. The year after that, I sailed her to Tortola with three friends as crew. My wife flew down with the cat to join me, and we spent the next six months cruising down to Grenada and back. We did that again the following year. I had the boat set up for single-handed sailing, as my wife never felt comfortable handling the boat, though she loved being a passenger.

We never really considered selling the house and living on board full time. My wife wanted to keep the house our and close ties to family and friends back home, and that was fine with me, too. Ironically, during our second year of cruising in the islands, my wife fell in love with Nevis. We ended up selling our house in Virginia and buying one on Nevis. We lived there for six years.

Fifty-six was the ideal age to take the plunge, at least for us. Kids grown and on their own, no financial worries, good health. Heck, my health even got better on the boat. I lost 15 pounds and felt great. Cruising is an inherently healthy lifestyle.

Go for it, Marty!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:19   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You're too old when your body says you are. That in a nutshell is the problem!
Exactly. It has nothing to do with age, it has to do with your health. Of course, there is a relationship between age and health, but the point is that age is just a number. It is not that you cannot sail because your number has gotten too big. It is that you cannot sail because your health does not allow it.

It may be too subtle of a distinction for some people to grasp, but it is a very important distinction. There are people whose health prohibits significant physical activity almost from birth. And there are others whose health allows significant physical activity into very old age. It's about your health, it's not about the particular number of birthdays you've had.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:57   #69

Quote:
Exactly. It has nothing to do with age, it has to do with your health. Of course, there is a relationship between age and health, but the point is that age is just a number. It is not that you cannot sail because your number has gotten too big. It is that you cannot sail because your health does not allow it.

It may be too subtle of a distinction for some people to grasp, but it is a very important distinction. There are people whose health prohibits significant physical activity almost from birth. And there are others whose health allows significant physical activity into very old age. It's about your health, it's not about the particular number of birthdays you've had.
Age is a number, unfortunately. Have seen lots of folks who mentally think they are teenagers when in fact they are in their late 60s to very late 80s. The body does start to fall apart in even the healthiest people. Reaction times slow, mental agility declines, the bladder holds less, bones weaken, and so forth. As biologic machines we have predictable rates of decline. While there are rare exceptions, most folks by their mid 70s start to get arthritis, worn out joints, and weaker circulation systems that compromise their ability to go off sailing long distances.

As others have said, if you are going to go, go now while you are young. Same with traveling in general. Best time to explore is at your peak physical prowess. Have seen too many old folks get into debilitating situations by refusing to recognize aging realities.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:03   #70

Do people go when they are older...sure but for every guy out sailing in his 70-80's, there are probably dozens who either never made the leap or tried it and couldn't hack it (it's amazing how many used boats we've come across where they say they just can't do it anymore).

We had friends we met camping, they sold the trailer and bought a boat last year. They seemed healthy and energetic early 60's. This year they are back with a new trailer because it was a lot more effort than they realized.

Obviously, you have to take care of your responsibilities but sooner is better.
Old 08-08-2016, 13:33   #71

You never meet anyone cruising who says they wishes they had waited until later to do it. But, you meet a lot who say they wish they had done it sooner.
Old 08-08-2016, 21:42   #72

Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I retired at 48 and went sailing. Now 8 years later i am 27.

Try it.
Now THAT, Mark, is new age math!! I like it!
Old 08-08-2016, 23:22   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

To the OP,

72 posts and I'm surprised no one has recommended chartering. There's no reason you can't begin now even with the kid by chartering the boat of your dreams. 300k isn't too much to spend on a boat as many on this forum would have you believe. Comfort costs money, bigger is better if you have the money.

We started the cruising life at 52-53 years and contrary to most of the posters on this forum, our boat actually moves from place to place. So keep active, exercise and you'll be fine. I gave up bike racing two years ago and took up free diving just last season at age 58, and now at 59.... I'm not dead yet.

In 16 years, the monohull type cruising will be dead, you're right to be focussed on catamarans. It's already getting difficult to sell a monohull.
Old 08-08-2016, 23:52   #74

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I retired, September 2011, 63 years old, As I stepped onto my Catamaran in Fiji, I had just bought it,
Six weeks later after I learnt how to sail it, After One and a half days of instruction, From the PO, He then choofed off to Hawai,
I sailed it to Australia, Single Handed, I cant sail for crap, But I got us here, The Boat and I,
If I snuffed it on the way, Well, I was doing some thing I enjoyed,

Sailing Novice, But with fifty years Exp on motor boats, Im not a boat novice,
Even if the sails fell off and all the instruments failed, I could still get myself back to OZ, That wasnt a concern at all,
I also ride a Honda Blackbird 1100XX, It doesnt know what slow is,
Roll on 70, So I can go snow skiing for Free,

In OZ, a cat will cost upwards of 300 grand,
A 30 foot Mono in good condition will cost around 20 Grand,

All this waiting makes you more vunerable to lifes pressures and your body is no longer able,
But Age is a mind thing, If you think your old, Your Old,
Old 09-08-2016, 00:29   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Too many people on this thread dwelling on about getting old. Just stay in shape and sailing will be a breeze well into your 70's and beyond.

I filmed this 18 months ago at the LA Cycling Velodrome at age 57 after I'd given up racing and had slowed down. Age is just a number.

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: