Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 12:36   #31

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Cruising in your mid-50's stories - did it happen/didn't it happen?

How's your health? If it's good it's likely to stay that way or get better. This is a combo of DNA (which you have no control over) and diet/exercise (which you do) It's a moderately active life that we've found to be good for us. Our muscle tone, strength and agility is better than our friends' we left back home.

How comfortable is your budget? By this I mean for your minimum needs. Lots of people are minimalists, but more and more want and can afford all the comforts of home. You're entitled to either choice, just be happy with either.
If you like comfort - buy it, compromises in this area usually are not happy ones.

Can you fix systems on your boat? I think most of us can agree that paying others to fix stuff on a boat will end the dream faster than a canker sore on your first girl/boy friend. If you don't know yet, start learning. Not only your budget but your confidence will benefit.

Are you BOTH adventurers? If you're both on the same page the more likely you are to stick out the tough times. If one person is dragging another along into a dream not their own, well, there's lots of strife.

We left home 2 years ago and we haven't even left the dock yet, still fixing up the boat and hope to leave end of Aug for shakedown. Our goals have matured. If I knew then what I know now, would I do it again?

In a heartbeat. Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48   #32

You are probably too old to go sailing. Almost half the males are dead by the time they reach 78. Gives you about 20 years statistically. Take up golf instead. Otoh, we stopped cruising long distances when i hit my late 60s. Some folks are still out there well into their 90s. Its a healthy lifestyle, although with a lot of hassles and paperwork.

Most folks who go for long distance cruising hate it if they never tried it before they got old. Hawaii is a great place to buy used, well equipped cruisers because most folks starting out on their grand journey stop in Hawaii and say enough, put the boat up for sale and fly back to America. And that is a very easy downhill sail.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 13:28   #33

Boat: Skookum 47

I turn 39 this November. 2nd bambino on the way in November. We have a 3-4 year plan to cruise locally - California Coast + Channel Islands - once I get our boat back up here, as it's currently in Mexico (where we bought her). Wife is a teacher and I am self employed with blocks of time off in the summer. That will suffice as we get to know the boat and replace what breaks during that time.

After that we are going to evaluate longer term cruising. I'd really like to cut lines for a couple years, but I want the kids to REALLY enjoy + take away from it. That means they have to be a at least 5-6 years old. And then they can wash dishes too Of course we'll need a nice kitty of at least $50k for 2 years. That will cover sailing and re-immersion costs back into the land of the working. But it's doable, and I don't have to wait for "down the road" or "when I retire" especially through my best/fittest years.

Every situation is different, but I wouldn't recommend planning your whole adult life to cruise when you retire having never done it before.

Go soon, Go now. Buy a nice older Ericsson or Pearson 35-40 footer and sail the crap out it. Beat the crap out of it. Use it. Don't turn it into varnish alter for the gods. Then decide if you like sailing/cruising. Apply your knowledge of what worked/didn't work and buy the right boat. $300k is more than enough for an amazing boat.

Just my 2 cents from a guy who's done it before and in the same shoes.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 13:51   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

The best way really to learn what you may like and how much it may cost you is to read through cruiser blogs. From those you can get ages, cruising style, and budgets for that style. The goal is to find a few blogs where they cruise in the style and general locations you are interested in. I've been here on CF a while and I can tell you that getting a good answer to the OP post on CF will make you crazy trying to sort out the responses.

Otherwise it gets lost in the "your boat is too big/small", "your budget is too small/big", "your boat is not good enough", "you're doing it wrong", "you're too stupid", "that's all wrong", "you need XXXX", "Don's an idiot don't listen to him" etc.
Old 04-08-2016, 14:14   #35

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

You are soo young. I am 66 and my goal was to be out there by 66. Now it looks like it will be 68 or 69. Husband is stalling, just want to kick his a--, guess I'm not much of a motivator -- who would think you would need to motivate a man to get on a boat!

I go to a crossfit gym to stay healthy enough to do what I want when I can finally get out of this awful rut we are in. Some people talk a good show, but when it comes time to really sell their house and go, they delay delay delay.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 14:28   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balena Bev View Post
Yes, you can definitely begin in your 50s and keep going for a long time. We left Milwaukee in 1983 at ages 52-53 to go out the St. Lawrence River in our Valiant 40. Our sailing experience at that time was 13 years on Lake Michigan and Huron in Pearson Vanguard (32') , then the Valiant 40 for 3 years of prep for offshore sailing. Left Balena in MA for winter, back to work. Next year 1984 Mass. to Chesapeake, left boat Oxford, MD for winter, back to work. In 1985 we took our youngest of five to U. of Wisconsin (other 4 out of college), went down ICW to Beaufort, NC and went offshore to St. Thomas and a winter in Caribbean. Lots of learning beforehand: general ham license, medical basic training, engine maintenance, etc. etc. You never learn it all beforehand, but every little bit helps.

Our first real offshore experience was daunting with re-formed Hurricane Juan coming off Georgia and hitting us squarely with 65-70 winds for 36 hours. Not forecast! We ran off with bare poles doing hull speed much of that time. The following May 1986 did St. Thomas-Bermuda to await crew before crossing to Ireland in 20 days. Ireland-England-France by Oct. 1986 - winter in Paris at Bastille Marina.

Lots of adventures aboard Balena for next years in N. Europe and Med before selling her in Mallorca in 1992. Then landlubbers until we couldn't stand it any longer, so for our 50th anniversary we bought Hallberg Rassy 49 and named her Dakili for our 3 daughters (sons felt left out!) and went sailing again, crossing Atlantic from Little Creek to Azores and on to Gib in 2004 at ages 73-74. Not an easy trip and we hove to for first time in our sailing career before reaching Gib just to get some rest for about 14 hours. Eventually to Croatia (which we had missed in early 90s) and some senior sailing there until 2012 when our years caught up with us and a lovely German family took over Dakili and named her Carpe Diem. We heartily approve sentiment of that new name.

At present at 85-86, we have lots of stories in our memory bank (and fortunately can still recall most of them). My husband is in home hospice with a sell-by date of 6 months so we cherish (almost) every minute of our cruising years. Go for it, you youngsters, but do get a strong boat and both of you be equally prepared. In our experience, the really long time cruisers could each handle the boat equally except for some tasks requiring physical strength. Ladies, learn to drive and let the men jump to the dock!
Bev, what a wonderful story and what a great life as cruisers. At 76/78, Ann and I hope to continue cruising for a few more years, backing off on the throttle as required to compensate for our antiquity.

We started full time cruising at 48/46, but had many years of experience to call upon. I see no problems with th OP's plan... but the learning curve can be steep, and sometimes folks fall off of it, so be warned!

Jim
Old 04-08-2016, 14:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
You are soo young. I am 66 and my goal was to be out there by 66. Now it looks like it will be 68 or 69. Husband is stalling, just want to kick his a--, guess I'm not much of a motivator -- who would think you would need to motivate a man to get on a boat!

I go to a crossfit gym to stay healthy enough to do what I want when I can finally get out of this awful rut we are in. Some people talk a good show, but when it comes time to really sell their house and go, they delay delay delay.
Well, hopefully your next husband will be more active. Seems to be the defining issue with old farts. She fit, he not. With little time left, I usually advise the females to just go and do it. Old guys are find vegging out with the plants at home for long periods of time. Had one couple in their eighties. She wanted to travel in the worst way. He not so. Wrote her a prescription that basically stated: Take a cruise and leave him at home. She did. Came back very happy and looking forward to her next cruise.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 14:55   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cruising in your mid-50's stories - did it happen/didn't it happen?

Odds are I think that if you really start looking for a boat, he will either dig his heels in hard or go along with it.
Least you will have closure.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:04   #39

I quit working (for money) at 45, spent 4 years building the boat, was off cruising by my 50th birthday. Haven't for one second wished I was back at work.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:14   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We retired at 55 and 54 to begin our best cruising, though we'd been with our boats and holiday cruising since our early twenties.

We've been in port for 10 months doing some refits after 14 years out and looking forward to another start at 70.

We know health will eventually change our habits, but it can be good at any age.
Old 04-08-2016, 15:15   #41

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

do a few charters with a group or rent a sail boat for a day then a week / if you haven't run away screaming by then check out your local market for your boat / we are both late 50's on this little boat / the boat is going on 123 years old / we are going on 23 years old / the sea life is healthy / the main difference from when we bought the boat 1998 till now there seem to be winches , blocks and other mechanical advantage going on to make sailing easier / also electronic navigation and a TV / there is a big difference between living aboard in a marina environment and full time live aboard cruising anchorage to anchorage / a combination of the two to suit the budget has worked out well / it's strange to hook up to shore power and walk up the pontoon to the amenities but that hot water shower and being able to leave the laptop switched on seem like luxuries / health wise only you will know / don't plan anything till you have tried the lifestyle for yourself / I sailed around the world this morning using the cursor on the cmap.
good luck with your decision
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:31   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Marty,

Advice here: get sailing ASAP. The learning your family does now will form a solid foundation for further years at sea. Second part of advice is that because one never knows what the future holds for one, and life tends to get in the way of plans, arrange to start the playing NOW.

In Training: Interesting post, maybe you need to be more pro-active. Go buy a boat suited to your plans, present him with a fait accompli; you should get a few years good cruising in. He probably is not expressing his fears to you; or maybe, he just doesn't want to go. Anyhow, you need to find out what's up with him and decide how to address it. As it is, you'll eventually develop resentments, and that will also kill the relationship. Maybe better to give it a positive ending before bitterness sets in.

Ann
Old 04-08-2016, 16:05   #43

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I know of an excellent steel 45' offshore monohull for sale here in Lund for $59k.

Just go. Take the kids. You'll never regret it.

BTW I'm 70 and far from too old for offshore.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 16:23   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Outstanding ...... lovely to read. Best wishes to your husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balena Bev View Post
Yes, you can definitely begin in your 50s and keep going for a long time. We left Milwaukee in 1983 at ages 52-53 to go out the St. Lawrence River in our Valiant 40. Our sailing experience at that time was 13 years on Lake Michigan and Huron in Pearson Vanguard (32') , then the Valiant 40 for 3 years of prep for offshore sailing. Left Balena in MA for winter, back to work. Next year 1984 Mass. to Chesapeake, left boat Oxford, MD for winter, back to work. In 1985 we took our youngest of five to U. of Wisconsin (other 4 out of college), went down ICW to Beaufort, NC and went offshore to St. Thomas and a winter in Caribbean. Lots of learning beforehand: general ham license, medical basic training, engine maintenance, etc. etc. You never learn it all beforehand, but every little bit helps.

Our first real offshore experience was daunting with re-formed Hurricane Juan coming off Georgia and hitting us squarely with 65-70 winds for 36 hours. Not forecast! We ran off with bare poles doing hull speed much of that time. The following May 1986 did St. Thomas-Bermuda to await crew before crossing to Ireland in 20 days. Ireland-England-France by Oct. 1986 - winter in Paris at Bastille Marina.

Lots of adventures aboard Balena for next years in N. Europe and Med before selling her in Mallorca in 1992. Then landlubbers until we couldn't stand it any longer, so for our 50th anniversary we bought Hallberg Rassy 49 and named her Dakili for our 3 daughters (sons felt left out!) and went sailing again, crossing Atlantic from Little Creek to Azores and on to Gib in 2004 at ages 73-74. Not an easy trip and we hove to for first time in our sailing career before reaching Gib just to get some rest for about 14 hours. Eventually to Croatia (which we had missed in early 90s) and some senior sailing there until 2012 when our years caught up with us and a lovely German family took over Dakili and named her Carpe Diem. We heartily approve sentiment of that new name.

At present at 85-86, we have lots of stories in our memory bank (and fortunately can still recall most of them). My husband is in home hospice with a sell-by date of 6 months so we cherish (almost) every minute of our cruising years. Go for it, you youngsters, but do get a strong boat and both of you be equally prepared. In our experience, the really long time cruisers could each handle the boat equally except for some tasks requiring physical strength. Ladies, learn to drive and let the men jump to the dock!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 16:39   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post

You remind me of a couple we met some years ago in Mexico, sailing on a nice Moody 40-something...

They had been in a situation similar to yours... her panting to get away, him dragging his feet. He went off to a meeting out of town. A couple of days later, he's paged, and a courier presents him with a big fat envelope, and says he is to wait for a reply. Inside was a note from the wife " I've sold the house and bought a boat. please sign the enclosed documents and return by the courier."

And a couple of years later there they were cruising. Lost track of them in Fiji or thereabouts some years after that.

Perhaps a role model?

Jim

Tags
cruising