Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: What's your monthly cuising budget?
Up to $500 a month 6 10.00%
From $500 to $1000 18 30.00%
From $1000 to $2000 9 15.00%
From $2000 to 4000 12 20.00%
$4000+ 4 6.67%
Still dreaming.... 11 18.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 20:47   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Erie Canal between Rochester & Buffalo
Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Posts: 471
Re: Cruising Budget

$5000+$5000+
__________________

__________________
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 22:06   #17
********* Emeritus
 
SaucySailoress's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,236
Re: Cruising Budget Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
The poll skipped the $1000- $2000, which would have been my selection (1500-1750 is my plan). This is based on 2 people and has to cover all total expenses.

This comes up a lot and I wish real answers were given more often. Answers that go down the "it depends" road are of little use. If you can not put a number to your "depends" issues then you just don'ty have a planned budget.
I have added it in....
__________________

__________________

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 05:37   #18
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Re: Cruising Budget

in many places aronde the world $500 is a year pay...many more places its even less then that...if you have $500 a month to spare you are rich in most parts of this world...if I have $500 left after they lauch my boat...sailing to azures!!!
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:04   #19
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Cruising Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
in many places aronde the world $500 is a year pay...many more places its even less then that...if you have $500 a month to spare you are rich in most parts of this world...if I have $500 left after they lauch my boat...sailing to azures!!!
Understood, Jobi. We're just talking here to CF readers more or less on the move whereever/whenever. In the US, at least, $500 a month doesn't go too far, even as a non-marina liveaboard.

I greatly regret doing such a poor job of polling, fellow boaters. I should have put the idea forward and asked for input. From the post comments and the 40 + votes, I surmise that most of us active folks are not "wealthy" in first world terms. The budget numbers may be skewed some in that $1000-2000 range due to votes cast before that level was added but I think we may well fit into that group of cruisers operating under $20K per yr. ($1600 mo)as posited in the "Don't have to be rich" thread.

It would not hurt my feelings if one of the sharper knives in the drawer recast the poll in a more meaningful way. One thing I'd ask on a redo is how many of us regularly need to find
work to sustain/supplement income.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:39   #20
********* Emeritus
 
SaucySailoress's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,236
Re: Cruising Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
It would not hurt my feelings if one of the sharper knives in the drawer recast the poll in a more meaningful way. One thing I'd ask on a redo is how many of us regularly need to find work to sustain/supplement income.
I'm trying to be a sharp knife, but it's not coming too easy!

The main 'skewify' (I just made that word up, mods are allowed to do that) factor that I can see is number of people onboard, and how that affects the contribution per head to costs - even on land it costs more to live alone than with a partner....

And another factor is happiness. Some folk are fine with the basics; but I really don't see how I'd ever manage on less than $500 a year. To be honest, I don't know how I'm going to manage without a maid to wash my clothes and a 'Captain' to wash my boat..... but I will (I hope)!

Nope. The razor edge just isn't coming. Anyone got a sharpener?

PS - If anyone wants me to move your vote, PM me: I'm at your service (or at least trying to be!)
__________________

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:49   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Erie Canal between Rochester & Buffalo
Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Posts: 471
Re: Cruising Budget

Me thinks there should be a time factor figured in also.
What's cruising? A weekend? A week? A month? More than "X" miles?
Seems like the $500/month crowd needs time to bank up for the next cruise
and the $5000+ crowd isn't hangin' here.
__________________
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 08:20   #22
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Cruising Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Me thinks there should be a time factor figured in also.
What's cruising? A weekend? A week? A month? More than "X" miles?
Seems like the $500/month crowd needs time to bank up for the next cruise
and the $5000+ crowd isn't hangin' here.
At least a year ... full time cruising. Otherwise, its just a long vacation.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 13:55   #23
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Re: Cruising Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Understood, Jobi. We're just talking here to CF readers more or less on the move whereever/whenever. In the US, at least, $500 a month doesn't go too far, even as a non-marina liveaboard.

I greatly regret doing such a poor job of polling, fellow boaters. I should have put the idea forward and asked for input. From the post comments and the 40 + votes, I surmise that most of us active folks are not "wealthy" in first world terms. The budget numbers may be skewed some in that $1000-2000 range due to votes cast before that level was added but I think we may well fit into that group of cruisers operating under $20K per yr. ($1600 mo)as posited in the "Don't have to be rich" thread.

It would not hurt my feelings if one of the sharper knives in the drawer recast the poll in a more meaningful way. One thing I'd ask on a redo is how many of us regularly need to find
work to sustain/supplement income.
I just voted in the up to $500 group...I cant see myself wasting more...will get bact to you in a year and see how I did.
__________________

__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
budget, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Budget Cruising without the Boat Doodles Dollars & Cents 1 18-01-2011 05:13
Minimum Cruising Budget Springbok Dollars & Cents 15 08-12-2010 17:42
Figuring Out the Cruising Budget Captain Peppers Dollars & Cents 30 02-12-2010 18:55
Cruising Cat on a budget amelis Multihull Sailboats 4 14-08-2008 17:19
Cruising Budget Islandbound General Sailing Forum 16 17-02-2006 17:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.