Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2014, 15:00   #46

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Cruising and the Affordable Care Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Yes, that's what I said. Younger, healthier customers are subsidizing older, less healthy customers.

"Averaging out the cost" is just a nice way of saying that healthier patients are paying more than they should, and less-healthy patients are paying less than they should.

Since it's a mandate, the younger patients are being forced into the subsidy. This is the reality of it.

You could claim that's political, but there really is no debate about that part.
It is what the insurance companies do anyway. I have had to carry my own insurance most of my working life, and to my best memory, I never had a quote based on age. I am older, 66, in excellent health, knocking on wood as typing, and I think the most recent bathc of "seniors" have a much higher percentage of fit, healthy, people.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 15:04   #47

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
There are no "ACA sponsored insurance" plans. Insurance is still run by the same private insurance companies as always. ACA just lays out minimum coverages and a means of comparing prices.

If you have any of the issues you mention, that is an issue with private insurance, not ACA.
I probably could had written that a bit more clear……my bad. I realize that there are no "sponsored" plans. But at the same time not all insurance companies partake or provide insurance in the exchanges. So thats my question………

It is just insurance. Has anyone had a different experience with insurance provided within the exchanges? Has it been a lower quality experience.?

The premise of the ACA is "insurance is insurance." If your income is low, as it might be if you were off cruising, than you can buy insurance in the exchange. Your cost is dramatically reduced up front on a monthly basis and any additional costs are subsidized directly to the insurance company. In my state I believe it is Blue Cross.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 16:19   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That looks to be the truth!

I just played on my State's site and if I put in an income of $30,000/yr the cost was $33/mo after the subsidy. But if I put in $10,000 the cost became $1,200/mo because I wouldn't be making enough to get a subsidy.

Not sure how that meets the "affordable" part, but sure seems important for a cruiser.
If you only made $10K per year you would qualify for Medicaid anyway.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 17:20   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
True, but does medicaid help if you're cruising outside of the U.S.?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 17:34   #50

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
In my state I believe it is Blue Cross.
If you are still in New Hampshire, Anthem was originally the only company to offer policies on the exchange, but several more have joined in.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 18:43   #51

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
True, but does medicaid help if you're cruising outside of the U.S.?
No, but neither will most ACA plans either.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 18:45   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Not in the states like 20 or so that didn't expand Medicaid. If you have any assets that is and let's assume you have a boat worth 30k and you make 10k fixing outboards and cleaning boat bottoms. No healthcare for you.
Old 26-06-2014, 19:06   #53

Quote:
Yes, that's what I said. Younger, healthier customers are subsidizing older, less healthy customers.
Most younger healthier persons are statistically likely to become older, less healthy people. So, it's not a subsidy, it's investing.

Fun fact - young healthy people who receive adequate healthcare throughout their life are more likely to be healthy when they're older.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 19:08   #54

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Most younger healthier persons are statistically likely to become older, less healthy people. So, it's not a subsidy, it's investing.

Fun fact - young healthy people who receive adequate healthcare throughout their life are more likely to be healthy when they're older.
So true
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 21:44   #55
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
There are no "ACA sponsored insurance" plans. Insurance is still run by the same private insurance companies as always. ACA just lays out minimum coverages and a means of comparing prices.

If you have any of the issues you mention, that is an issue with private insurance, not ACA.
With all due respect..that is the biggest load of bovine excrement I have read in weeks! Having had our great health care plan CANCELLED by the ACA requirements, I can tell you Amigo that when the Government controlls what is covered (like Pregnancy care for my wife with no ovaries) then it is NOT a private heath care company any longer. The ACA made the plan we had and loved Illegal to sell in California, not the Private Insurance Company...the ACA and Government did that for my "own good"...ha ha ah ....no thaks.

Quote:
Actually another name for it is "wealth transfer payment" or "Welfare handouts". But the folks taking money from their neighbors like to call it a Subsidy...the joke is on the young and they are not laughing or signing up!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 22:04   #56

Quote:

More fun fact: They're likely to have employer-based health insurance.
Old 27-06-2014, 05:32   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Actually another name for it is "wealth transfer payment" or "Welfare handouts". But the folks taking money from their neighbors like to call it a Subsidy...the joke is on the young and they are not laughing or signing up!
For a businessman, you don't seem to know how insurance works. If only the old or the sick buy it, it's not health insurance. Should good drivers not have to buy car insurance? Everybody's a good driver, til their first accident, anyway... then insurance doesn't seem so pointless. See also... life insurance.

The US health system is inordinately expensive, yet delivers net health outcomes below... Cuba, ffs. ACA is is a weak, flawed step, but in the right direction, since most Americans seem blind to the greater cost-savings in a better thought-out public (eg Canada) or private (France) universal healthcare system. I guess the US could have tried the GOP health plan which was, um... oh wait, they had NOTHING to offer, (unless you consider Romneycare a GOP plan which Romney implemented when he was Gov, and is nearly identical to the ACA in most regards).

(Hey Rich - I get it, there are gaps and price-jumps for some such as yourself, which doesn't seem fair. People suffering and dying simply from not being able to afford decent care isn't very fair either. Once people stop sabotaging the system, and the industry adapts to the new rules, that will level out.

And, hi! how's the boating?)

Quote:
More fun fact: [young people are] likely to have employer-based health insurance.
Actually, not so much. Young people are LESS likely to have employer-based plans than their parents. Benefits everywhere have been pared, and since the "recovery" has more McJobs that don't pay benefits, a government mandate for coverage is the only other option.
Old 27-06-2014, 06:16   #58

Quote:

Actually, not so much. Young people are LESS likely to have employer-based plans than their parents. Benefits everywhere have been pared, and since the "recovery" has more McJobs that don't pay benefits, a government mandate for coverage is the only other option.

You changed my quote. What I was saying was that people are MORE likely to have insurance later on in life. An employer-based one.

So if they're required to purchase a plan when they're young, yes, they are in effect subsidizing the system. It's the only way the ACA can be made to work, and the jury is still out even on that.
Old 27-06-2014, 06:28   #59

Quote:
For a businessman, you don't seem to know how insurance works. If only the old or the sick buy it, it's not health insurance. Should good drivers not have to buy car insurance? Everybody's a good driver, til their first accident, anyway... then insurance doesn't seem so pointless. See also... life insurance.
Do YOU know how it works? For car insurance, you pay more if you're in a high-risk category. And yes, that's based on age and gender as well. Same for life insurance.

You are correct, however about the U.S. health care system being a bit of a mess. U.S. citizens are paying roughly twice as much as other countries for health care, for similar actual results. Nothing about the ACA changes any of that, except for adding more people to the system. It forces some in, and subsidizes others.

If you want to actually help people's health care, encourage them to eat right and exercise. I propose that this would save more lives, and make their health care less expensive.
Old 27-06-2014, 06:32   #60

Quote:
You changed my quote.
Sorry, but in fairness the last referenced subject right before your comment was young people.

So, working with
Quote:
What I was saying was that people are MORE likely to have insurance later on in life. An employer-based one.
True, for the average person, but still less likely overall than before 2008.

Quote:
So if they're required to purchase a plan when they're young, yes, they are in effect subsidizing the system. It's the only way the ACA can be made to work, and the jury is still out even on that.
What's your problem with insurance? You pay in when you're able but not usually needing, you will be drawing later when your health needs will be high but you 're no longer working.

ACA's biggest problem is that it's up to each to state to implement. ♫ 50 ways to have your healthcare ♫ (sorry, Paul Simon).

Tags
cruising