Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2008, 18:04   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Cruiser Wins Lawsuit in Florida

Don't know if this has already been posted, but was just reading in SAIL where on pg 12 they talk about Vincent Sibilla who was awarded US$ 5k plus attorney fees plus an appology by the city attorney. He was arrested for anchoring his boat for more than 10 days in the city harbor of Stuart... seems he won by making the case that his boat was used for transportation and thus he was a Cruiser and not a Liveaboard as defined by Florida Law... This is good news... Chaulk one up for the Yachties !!!!

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 18:18   #2

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Great News... However they will lkely rewrite the rules. Florida bends over backwards for trailer "folks" One would think the cruisers would get a break.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 19:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Having read about more than one incident just in this forum, is there a bit of hostility towards boaters by the authorities in Florida? Opinions?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 07:17   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Not really any more that other locations... Florida just has more boaters and visiting boaters and in some locations they have not been seen as good guest. This is often related to sanitary and maintenance/ upkeep issues and encroachment on private property. But due to the much larger numbers you see more than other states.... say Kansas.
Old 30-08-2008, 08:58   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Having read about more than one incident just in this forum, is there a bit of hostility toward boaters by the authorities in Florida? Opinions?
In some instances there have been problems, but more with local municipalities then the state. I think is has more to do with the fact that there are a whole bunch more boats here then other areas.

Quote:
Florida just has more boaters and visiting boaters and in some locations they have not been seen as good guest.
I think reality Check hit the nail on the head. Some of the backlash has been caused by 'live aboard' boaters who IMHO have nothing to do with cruising. Much like what happened in the SF Bay area, some have taken to living aboard an anchored boat as cheap housing... and their boats reflect this. I hate excessive shore side development, and the attitudes that shore owners have some 'ownership' of the water is very offensive to me. I do however understand the concerns of some that their backyard would turn into the floating refugee camp that some anchorages turn into. (Salt run in St. Augustine comes to mind...).
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 18:48   #6

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
S/V Faith

I was prepared to take exception to your post. However it is a far more complex problem.

I like living on the water. Don't particularly like fishing, preferred hunting when I was younger but now just like shooting at targets. I live at a marina and pay a reasonable fee. I go out in the Bay from time to time.

I don't believe it makes a difference if you consider yourself a Cruiser or a LA. I still do not want your sewage in the Bay/Inland waters. Nor do I appreicate beer bottles, drunks and loud parties. (getting old I guess)
A big part of the lifestyle for me is the solitude and the independence. I could decide to go Cruising or Cruise to a location and stay for 6mths does that make you a Cruiser or a LA.

By the way I have been to your site and it has a lot of good information. I hope you keep up the good work. I have used several of the suggestions.

my 2 cents.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 19:16   #7

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
KSmith,

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, I was in no way disparaging the live aboard lifestyle / cruising. What I was referring to was the issue with the floating garbage dumps that have been transformed into waterworld props. I can understand why someone would not want to look at them. I think they make the case against us all much easier... especially when someone ashore is looking for a reason to oppose the use of what they perceive as 'their' waterway.

OBTW, I am glad you enjoy SailFar.net but I can ot take credit for it. I post my trip info and photos there but it is run by a friend of mine.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 00:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
He was arrested for anchoring his boat for more than 10 days in the city harbor of Stuart
Arrested for anchoring a boat too long? What do they do if you beach your catamaran - Hang you?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 14:25   #9
Hal

Hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Arrested for anchoring a boat too long? What do they do if you beach your catamaran - Hang you?

From the yardarm!
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida