Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 16:06   #31

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Re: Critique My Liveaboard Idea . . .

I agree with Mark. I bought my C27 for considerably less than 11500. I stay on my boat for months at a time and for two it's quite adequate. Also a larger boat means higher dock fees and the fees are going up all the time. I can have my boat out of the slip in five minutes. I want to add that the Catalina 27 is a really nice boat. Sails very nicely and is easily singlehanded.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 16:27   #32

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

I would say go for it, but then my wife and I live on a 25 footer (see blog below). I am a hugh fan of "go now go small". To many people wait untill everything is just right, just the right boat, just the right equipment, just the right time. For most people all of the stars don't seem to ever line up just right, and they never go. Line up the marina first. Second make a low ball offer, if he declines tell him you could pay more if he would help with the financing. Remember you won't be saving $1000 a month because you have to pay the marina X amount of dollars. Work out a realistic budget.
Old 09-03-2011, 16:43   #33

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Okay doaky...

Here's the reality as I see it: living aboard SOUNDS GREAT but in truth, it's not for everybody. One should not even consider it without considerable experience sailing on a variety of boats. That experience will insure that the future is worth the present investment, but more importantly will determine how much room you personally need. It's different for everyone.

A lot of guys starting out have read the Pardeys' books (uh oh, haven't read them?) so they already know most everything. I applaud your post seeking input. The posters above know exactly what they're talking about. All that talk about dampness? All true. Space constraints? All true. It's a real hassle living aboard in a marina if you have a real job. How does waiting in line for the shower sound? Figure another $50 a month for a gym membership if only to use the shower. Seriously. And no matter how nice the marina. the head isn't going to be as sanitary as most want. Like to take your time with a coffee and a book for morning business? Not in the marina head you won't.

But here's the worst thing. The smaller your boat the more difficult it is to stow things correctly so you MIGHT get a little lazy. The TV is on the galley counter. Tuck the computer into the cushions. The apt fridge for cold beer is on the forward bunk next to your pile of both clean and dirty laundry. Maybe you get a houseplant to cheer things up. And you live in cold country. Factor that in. Oh, yeah and cold-weather clothes, shoes and boots. It's misery man. I don't know why people live north but I'm glad they do! Point being: now it's a growing hassle to get the boat ready to sail. You do it less and less. A year goes by. Then two.

My considered advice:

a) don't do it til you know how to sail, and know you like it enough to take it on as a lifestyle and make an investment that may offer far less than zero return. As in less than zero if you remember the book.

b) buy a 30' boat. You don't need a "starter boat"; plus the term itself offends me. That's YUPPIE stuff; your "starter" boat is someone's dream boat. Most agree a couple can be happy with 30', and it's more than adequate for a single. There's never been a better time to buy a boat. But it would sure be nice if you knew something about it beforehand; and not have to rely on friends' highly questionable opinions. Women are one thing but we're talking boats now. You'll likely have the boat longer than the woman anyway.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 16:52   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Okay doaky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Women are one thing but we're talking boats now. You'll likely have the boat longer than the woman anyway.
But a womans a lot easier to get rid off....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 16:53   #35

Boat: Tartan 34C
Re: Critique My Liveaboard Idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomdaica View Post
this girl inspired me as well: Doubtful she is single
It seems germane to the discussion that she looks like a pint-sized lass. She makes that tiny boat look like it has 7' headroom! Us guys take up more space, and our stuff takes up more space, and we eat what she calls 'long-term storage' in a single sitting.

That said, she has made a conscious effort and has succeeded in down-sizing to make it work for her. Many have done less with more, even if less is more, more or less.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 17:04   #36

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Not in anyway picking a fight, but that's at the root of the problem. It's simply not possible for someone to know what they will be comfortable with after living onboard for a few years and experiencing the pros and cons of various sizes.

Almost always, people default on the too large of size. My coffee-shop-psychology analysis for this is because people who can afford big yachts typically lived in big places on land.

I am loving this thread, I see everyone's point of view. I've thought I wanted big...I thought I wanted small. I'm saving for "the boat" vs. "I'll get a smaller one now". It's a bloody tough decision...I feel for the OP. But your post, Rebel, really spoke to me. I think it's very hard to know "what you'll want" til you have it. I've had bigger houses...I always "thought" I'd use this, and now then once I have it, I don't at all. I have told my kids my NEXT house will have a kitchen, one bedroom, and one bathroom, as they never seem to want to sleep in their own rooms or shower in their own bathroom. I suppose that's why the saying "No one buys their last boat first."

I don't know what I'll get. Will my kids show up often when I sail...making the extra space practical? Or will they forget Mom for a landlocked life, making a smaller boat with a cozy V-berth just right for my love and me? Who knows? I am looking at mid-30's, my love keeps looking in low 40's. What will we get...who knows??? I'm sure enjoying the journey though.
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 17:06   #37

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Re: Okay doaky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But a womans a lot easier to get rid off....
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 17:06   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcore View Post
I'm a big fan of getting what you want the first time. That assumes you know just what that is!
I agree buy the last boat first and buy quality. I spent (lost) of money buying and selling other boats to get to the boat that I finally am happy with.
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 17:20   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
I am looking at mid-30's
Rats - I'm 58.
Old 09-03-2011, 17:32   #40

The Catalina should be fine for one person to live aboard. My neighbors at our marina lived on their 27 Cat for several years. They recently purchased a home only because they had twins.

On the money issue...

I know a lot of folks have not agreed that buying small now, or at all, will save you money because of this or that. I disagree. Sure, people generally sell their boats for less than they originally paid but your case is different. You said you would save $1,000 a month in rent...rent is just money thrown out of the window and nothing to show for it in the end. Yes, you do have the cost of insurance on the boat and the slip fee, but I am assuming you have already factored in those costs and that's where you arrived at the $1,000 savings in rent.

Seriously, you said you would save $1,000 a month in rent if you bought this Cat and lived on it? Looks to me that with savings like that, if you lived on it for two years and then gave the boat away you would have come out way ahead than paying whatever your actual rent is.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 17:32   #41

While I would prefer a slightly larger boat, I have my Catalina 27 *now* and that's what I'm going to make work for me *now*. Besides, John Vigor says it's one of the "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere", and I believe him.

John
Old 09-03-2011, 17:46   #42

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
and dont forget people that boat pricing in canada is signifigantly higher than in the states.
Why is that?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 17:53   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Critique My Liveaboard Idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Why is that?
Fewer available boats usually...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:03   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica

Wow, I never expected this thread to be such a hot topic! Big vs small, now vs later...LOL. I am happy I brought everyone together for this thread!

All I know is that:

1) I dont want to wait 5 years.
2) I dont want to owe the bank anything (this includes crap condo in the suburbs.
3) I want to sail.
4) I hate burning money with rent.
5) The 27" cat may be small...but 5 years worth of sailing...has to be worth it? no?
Old 09-03-2011, 18:11   #45

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence

$10,000 does seem like a lot for a C27. You could sail this home for a lot less;
27' Catalina Sloop -Tall Rig
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard