Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2016, 21:23   #91

Re: Convincing wife to liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post

My big mistake was making an ultimatum. I had been waiting for a dozen years and the time was approaching when I could touch my 401K and I said (flippantly, I thought) "well I'm going with you or without you when I'm 59 and a half." Boy oh boy, that was a mistake. It hurt his feelings, made him powerless in the decision. If I could eat those words I would.
WOOPS!! Well, I already screwed up then. I basically told my wife the same thing.
Now what?
Problem is, Im serious.
Wife dream. Remodel the house into her dream home. Have me continue to work 12 hours a day till I die to pay for it.
My dream, Sail the world. Not work 12 hour days till I die.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 03:41   #92

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
WOOPS!! Well, I already screwed up then. I basically told my wife the same thing.
Now what?
Problem is, Im serious.
Wife dream. Remodel the house into her dream home. Have me continue to work 12 hours a day till I die to pay for it.
It takes courage to live your life.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 04:21   #93
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
That's interesting. I know several, including myself. Funny how stereotypes and drawing global conclusions from experience that is neccesarily limited isnt really useful when applied to real life.

OP knows his/her wife. We don't. She could be a hardcore cold weather camper or luxury loving. Those kinds of things will be important in pursuing any part of this dream. Convince? No. Expose your partner to something new and see if they like it? Sure. What form that takes will depend on way too many factors for anyone else to consider. Chartering is a great idea just to see if both of you actually enjoy it.

And that "Changing Course" book is one of the few sailing books I really did not like. Takes all kinds I suppose, just like everything else.
Regarding the minimalist lifestyle...

Sure, there will always be exceptions found, 'no problem with it. But I can also point to many hundreds of failed dream boats where the partner/wife wasn't onboard with the minimalist lifestyle idea.

In fact, I met another fellow in that very situation just two weeks ago. His wife is just fine with cruising for one or two weeks at a time while tuffin' it through without a daily hot shower, copious amounts of water, electricity, lighting, morning toast, blow dryer etc., but full time liveaboard under these conditions.... she's keeping the land based apartment.

The marinas are filled with boats and men with failed dreams. They just don't get it, and probably never will.

I agree that chartering would be a great idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	126775  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 04:56   #94
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
Now what?
Problem is, Im serious.
https://youtu.be/JmHJcrOi59Q
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 05:23   #95

Time,health and money.....you don't always have all three, that Utube sort of smacks you right between the eyes.

Old 24-06-2016, 05:27   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Regarding the minimalist lifestyle...

Sure, there will always be exceptions found, 'no problem with it. But I can also point to many hundreds of failed dream boats where the partner/wife wasn't onboard with the minimalist lifestyle idea.

In fact, I met another fellow in that very situation just two weeks ago. His wife is just fine with cruising for one or two weeks at a time while tuffin' it through without a daily hot shower, copious amounts of water, electricity, lighting, morning toast, blow dryer etc., but full time liveaboard under these conditions.... she's keeping the land based apartment.

The marinas are filled with boats and men with failed dreams. They just don't get it, and probably never will.

I agree that chartering would be a great idea.
But, I can also point to many that didn't workout that were on very nice boats. Sure, minimalist makes it harder but minimalist is subjective. If you have left a 5 bedroom home then most boats are minimalist.

Old 24-06-2016, 05:45   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
But, I can also point to many that didn't workout that were on very nice boats. Sure, minimalist makes it harder but minimalist is subjective. If you have left a 5 bedroom home then most boats are minimalist.

Most of the boats anchored next to us here off Capri are five to tens times larger than a five bedroom house. Most if these boats are hardly what most would consider minimalist.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	126776  
Old 24-06-2016, 05:58   #98
cruiser

I guess it all depends on where one lives as to what is minimalist.

Here, we are one of the few non-super or mega yachts. But we do share the same view.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	140
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	126778  
Old 24-06-2016, 06:15   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
..with a white picket fence and flower garden too. I cant think of any boat than can do that....
Maybe you could fashion some sort of light wood pickets on your lifelines? The garden is a bit harder, but I would bet someone has done it..
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 07:08   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
............................ The garden is a bit harder, but I would bet someone has done it..

It can be the garden on board or the garden you cruise to.

Old 24-06-2016, 08:18   #101
cruiser

I hate to break it to most of you and the OP, but selling the idea of living aboard is all about the amenities. For most, a 31ft sailboat with a pump head and cold shower won't cut it.

I seriously doubt any of my neighbors here today had much difficulty selling their significant others on the idea of cruising or living aboard. Especially the fellow with the 100ft water slide.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	113
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	126781  
Old 24-06-2016, 08:36   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I seriously doubt any of my neighbors here today had much difficulty selling their significant others on the idea of cruising or living aboard. Especially the fellow with the 100ft water slide.
Yeah, that would be an easy sell, but not the reality for 99.9% of us here. I understand about the amenities though..the 30 footer would be fine for me, but the wife would require quite a bit more to be "comfortable"..for her, sailing and "living" on a sailboat would be a "lovely getaway"...one that would remain lovely for every bit of 3 days.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 08:47   #103

Kenomac is absolutely right in what he sez in #101, of course.

But what is comme il faut among the "superyacht" set is hardly relevant to what we do :-)

"Selling" the live-aboard lifestyle to anyone - woman OR man - obviously depends on having a buyer who is, to borrow a phrase, "ready, willing and able".

I think it is a function of the fundamental genetic programming of Homo sapiens that among those who are ready, willing and able, there will be a preponderance of XY over XX.

I'm fairly confident that had the biological effects of my "Y" not been attenuated by the effluxion of time, MyBeloved would not find me a satisfactory shipmate :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 08:48   #104
CLOD

Boat: none

I wonder how many "He Men" use the "I would be happy on a floating camp tent but my wife needs ........." to justify having a civilized boat life?
Old 24-06-2016, 09:29   #105
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wonder how many "He Men" use the "I would be happy on a floating camp tent but my wife needs ........." to justify having a civilized boat life?
I think it would take more than just a few potted plants for the OP's wife to overlook a hand pump head, cold shower, cold cereal for breakfast and bilge odor.

'Just a hunch.

Tags
liveaboard