Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 19:46   #46

Re: Convert Morgan 38 Centerboard To Full Keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Story View Post

Also, depending on the condition, capacity, and accessibility of the water tank(s), I may be tempted to do away with that as well. Right how, I'm of the mind that we will be transporting water by dinghy in jerry jugs. We don't have the budget for a water maker, and I don't like the idea of having to dock for water when needed.

Somehow, as difficult as it sounds, the idea of jerry-canning water sounds to be the preferred way for us.

Just throwing that out there since you mentioned the storage tanks.
I urge you to continue to think about this. You're new. It sounds "easy" now, but, based on the experiences here, it could be anywhere from dumb to dangerous.

A friend of mine wrote this after his trip to Mexico:

The watermaker was a great investment. I've seen the other side - people buying their water in 5 gallon jugs and trying to sneak in a little shampoo as they steal a beachside shower from a resort. It doesn't look like fun. We love the watermaker.
Capacity is important. The cheaper low volume Katadyne units have to run forever to make enough water. Something in the 150 gpd range is much better. We have a Spectra unit.

Where are you planning to go? Some places water is very expensive, which would be a good time to do a cost benefit analysis.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 20:20   #47

Boat: Tartan 40

Don't scrap the CB. My Tartan draws about 5 feet loaded and sails better than most boats upwind without CB. But drop the board and it's like another gear in terms of pointing. Fully noticeable. Don't ruin that ability. In heavy air and seas even better.

Also, for docking, dropping board if you have depth makes slow speed maneuvering and turning easier. Also can back down with much better tracking with CB down.

I use mine all the time. Even daysailing

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 20:36   #48

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Also, depending on the condition, capacity, and accessibility of the water tank(s), I may be tempted to do away with that as well. Right how, I'm of the mind that we will be transporting water by dinghy in jerry jugs. We don't have the budget for a water maker, and I don't like the idea of having to dock for water when needed.

Somehow, as difficult as it sounds, the idea of jerry-canning water sounds to be the preferred way for us.

Just throwing that out there since you mentioned the storage tanks.
So you plan on not having a freshwater tank? I missed this post or I never would have bothered to respond.

you're going to buy a boat for what you think is a deal, but it's not. You're going to end up failing to start because you can't afford the refit, or you are going to try and go with a boat that is not up to it and put yourself and your family in danger, and end up losing a lot of money; or you're going to refit the boat and realize you could have spent less on a nicer boat and been cruising for a year or two sooner.

I know cruisers with leaky water tanks. I don't know any cruisers that would ever "do away" with them.

Figure out what you think it will take to get this $8000 boat ready to go, and then triple it. That will be a more realistic figure. Because for every 1 thing you've identified, there will be 2-3 more you miss.

You need to find a boat that is used regularly. That boat will be much cheaper than a project boat. The only reason to buy a project boat is because you like working on boats, which is all you will be doing for a long time.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 21:00   #49

Quote:
To better explain my thought process - another boat that we've been looking into a lot is the Morgan Out Island 33. It's a full keel boat, and I've heard that it sails like a pig, but I'm actually alright with that because I'm more concerned with interior space and comfort over being able to sail super-good.
I own a '73 OI33 and absolutely LOVE it. It sails pretty darned well, though it is not a light wind boat.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:07   #50

Boat: TBD... On the hunt!

Hi there -

Here's the latest update to this thread...

I had just about decided to make the trip to Florida and check out this boat with my own eyes. I ran into some opposition with the owner who wanted me to pay to re-mast the boat BUT would not provide any sort of sea-trial.

Maybe that's not entirely unreasonable for an 8k boat... maybe. For me though, an inexperienced newbie, I need a bit more comfort in knowing that I'm not buying something with any ridiculous problems.

From my perspective, I felt as though the owner was trying to hide something from me by not allowing us a sea trial of any kind. They were adamant that the only way I could buy it was if I looked at it - and handed over 8k. Eh - not a risk that I'm willing to take.

I mean, I need to be able to test out the engine, transmission, rig, steering. Now, I know that I'm not buying a perfect boat by any means, but without being able to at least confirm that I've got a good engine, rig, and hull... no deal.

Now, I mentioned that I think the owner is trying to hide something, but I have no idea what. The boat has been for sale for a year with no takers. Although that doesn't seem to be uncommon at all in the used-sailboat market, I do think it's strange that they outright refuse any sort of demo, at any cost, regardless of circumstance. Weird.

Anyways, I definitely appreciate all of the insight into the centerboard matter. Even though this particular boat isn't going to be "the one" for us, I have still learned a lot from everyones insights and opinions.

So - moving on... we've now got our eye on an Endeavor 32 and also a few Out Island 33s. Still, regardless of what boat we end up deciding on, it won't be without a proper sea-trial and survey.

Thanks again everyone!
Sailboat Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:14   #51

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Good plan! Exactly. If something seems not quite right, your gut is probably right. I am one of those who thinks that when it is right, it all just sort of falls together. And you want a seller who is happy to show you every nook and cranny of the boat, warts and all.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:16   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
So - moving on... we've now got our eye on an Endeavor 32 and also a few Out Island 33s. Still, regardless of what boat we end up deciding on, it won't be without a proper sea-trial and survey.

Thanks again everyone!
'good to hear. "Moving on" is one of the most important skills when boat shopping. There's a great risk to "falling in love" and settling for less.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:30   #53

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Glad to hear you are moving on. :-)
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:37   #54

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

I had the wire cable break on my Morgan 41 Several years ago and did not notice it until she was not swinging to the tide in Cape Lookout. I ran a piece of line under the board and winched it up and secured it till I could haul out a few weeks later. No harm, no foul.

jewt

Bifrost
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:57   #55

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
I ran into some opposition with the owner who wanted me to pay to re-mast the boat BUT would not provide any sort of sea-trial.

Maybe that's not entirely unreasonable for an 8k boat... maybe.
I recently (last fall) sold my boat in that price range...after taking 9 different groups (individuals and couples) out for sea trials. It was my pleasure to show off the boat, and that every single thing worked.

You made the right move.

Also, here's another bargain to consider:
1970 Pearson 35 Sailboat with Centerboard No Reserve | eBay
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:35   #56

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perstarebob View Post
A cable break and board drop will hurt nothing and you may even not realize it happened .
Except when you go to anchor, and back down to set the hook, and the board doesn't let the boat back up, or the board snaps in half. Been there, done that.
Cruised full time for 4 more years without the board. Before it snapped off, I hadn't used it in the last 2 years of cruising.
The boat was a Bristol 35 sloop (Alden design) and I never felt the need for it. I was cruising, not racing.
Never glassed the slot.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:35   #57

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I recently (last fall) sold my boat in that price range...after taking 9 different groups (individuals and couples) out for sea trials. It was my pleasure to show off the boat, and that every single thing worked.

You made the right move.

Also, here's another bargain to consider:
1970 Pearson 35 Sailboat with Centerboard No Reserve | eBay
Wow, that is a good option to consider and I bet Roverhi will agree! The ONLY drawback to that design is it may not have a quarter berth for the little one.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:45   #58
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Hi there -

Here's the latest update to this thread...

I had just about decided to make the trip to Florida and check out this boat with my own eyes. I ran into some opposition with the owner who wanted me to pay to re-mast the boat BUT would not provide any sort of sea-trial.

Maybe that's not entirely unreasonable for an 8k boat... maybe. For me though, an inexperienced newbie, I need a bit more comfort in knowing that I'm not buying something with any ridiculous problems.

From my perspective, I felt as though the owner was trying to hide something from me by not allowing us a sea trial of any kind. They were adamant that the only way I could buy it was if I looked at it - and handed over 8k. Eh - not a risk that I'm willing to take.

I mean, I need to be able to test out the engine, transmission, rig, steering. Now, I know that I'm not buying a perfect boat by any means, but without being able to at least confirm that I've got a good engine, rig, and hull... no deal.

Now, I mentioned that I think the owner is trying to hide something, but I have no idea what. The boat has been for sale for a year with no takers. Although that doesn't seem to be uncommon at all in the used-sailboat market, I do think it's strange that they outright refuse any sort of demo, at any cost, regardless of circumstance. Weird.

Anyways, I definitely appreciate all of the insight into the centerboard matter. Even though this particular boat isn't going to be "the one" for us, I have still learned a lot from everyones insights and opinions.

Thanks again everyone!
For an 8K boat, it is not unusual for an owner not to want to spend a lot of time teaching a newbie about buying boats, only to have them go buy another.

It is common for an owner to allow a 1 or 2 hours inspection. If you are interested in purchasing, based on what you see, make an offer with $1000 refundable deposit, conditional on satisfactory survey, engine inspection, and test sail. If the owner won't take your money on this basis, run away.

(It is reasonable for a boat of this low asking price, that the owner not wish to incur any significant expense in the sale, so you should expect to have to pay for survey and test sail costs.)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:33   #59

Boat: F&C 44

I don't think it's unreasonable on an $8K 37ft boat for the owner to pay for mast step/unstep and a sea trial. $8K is a where is / as is price I would think, and to expect no major issues is dreaming. The recommendation to make an offer, leave a small deposit and hire a surveyor is a good one. A good, or even so-so, surveyor could give you an idea of what you are in for and it will be a lot. Possibilities are rotted deck core, water in the rudder, leaking ports, engine well past its prime, needs rigging, sails, batteries, hoses, pumps and so on. All old boats cost the same (money or time or aggravation) in the end.

But keep looking, I think you need to gain some experience, looking at a lot of boats is a good start.

BTW Living on a boat is not necessarily cheaper than living on land.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:35   #60

Boat: F&C 44

OOps! I meant it IS unreasonable for the owner to pay those costs.

That's what happens when you get interrupted.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard, keel, morgan