Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-09-2013, 14:31   #31
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Contemplating Liveaboard -- need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Living on my boat does encourage me to write. Not sure why, but I write a lot more since I moved aboard.
You can't be serious...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 15:13   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Contemplating Liveaboard -- need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You can't be serious...
Why not?

Old 04-09-2013, 17:14   #33

Boat: Gulfstar sailmaster 47 ??
Send a message via Yahoo to sillybilly Send a message via Skype™ to sillybilly
Re: Contemplating Liveaboard -- Need Advice

Hmmm let me add to that. having had a water bed and having drunk to much I HAD to sleep on the floor
Old 04-09-2013, 18:28   #34

Suijin certainly isn't talking to me. I have sailed know how to sail and have been onboard
He must be talking to Kelley.
The tread was sent to me .
Old 04-09-2013, 19:07   #35

Boat: 38' French Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have lived onboard for sixteen years and cannot imagine a better way of life. It is not however, for everyone. I do not mean to put a damper on your dream, in fact I encourage it but please remove the rose coloured glasses ..... boats are extremely complicated and the dream can very easily turn into a financial nightmare. It is critical that you educate your self as much as possible about all marine systems and the structural elements of boats. I recommend anyone new to this read Marine Survey 101 before even looking at a boat.
The best advice I have seen yet on this thread. You either need to have a fairly decent income and ability to afford double what you think a boat will cost to maintain, or be very mechanicaly inclined. Or be the type of person who can tolerate living in a tent when your electrical systems malfunction and the temperature hits 95 or 25. Surveys are by no means a guarranty that anything will be reliable on a boat. everything breaks. I have read countless horror stories of those who bought a boat and thought they could treat it like a house, only to lose their A$$ in expenses and anxiety, it is much more complex.
Not telling you not to do it, but I have seen what can and does go wrong just the simple maintenance on engine zincs , and cleaning the hulls can set you back a few hundred more a month, and marine techs cost $100+ hour to search out for hours if you get a loose wire and something doesnt work, and most of them typically know less than most on this forum.
I hope you make it happen, just giving you reality from someone who has been there.
Best of Luck,!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 19:13   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
The best advice I have seen yet on this thread. You either need to have a fairly decent income and ability to afford double what you think a boat will cost to maintain, or be very mechanicaly inclined. Or be the type of person who can tolerate living in a tent when your electrical systems malfunction and the temperature hits 95 or 25. Surveys are by no means a guarranty that anything will be reliable on a boat. everything breaks. I have read countless horror stories of those who bought a boat and thought they could treat it like a house, only to lose their A$$ in expenses and anxiety, it is much more complex.
Not telling you not to do it, but I have seen what can and does go wrong just the simple maintenance on engine zincs , and cleaning the hulls can set you back a few hundred more a month, and marine techs cost $100+ hour to search out for hours if you get a loose wire and something doesnt work, and most of them typically know less than most on this forum.
I hope you make it happen, just giving you reality from someone who has been there.
Best of Luck,!!!

Wow -- it doesn't cost that much here. I paid $35 to have my bottom cleaned in St. Pete. It costs more here -- $51 -- because the marina requires that the bottom cleaner not just let the debris fall to the bottom of the slip -- he has to grab it some how and take it away. A really good engine mechanic is $75.

I have the same maintenance costs I would have if I did not live on the boat, but since I do live on it, I spot trouble that others who only visit their boats occasionally overlook. Last week a boat sank in its slip because the owner, who is an excellent sailor, didn't take her boat out much and did not see that a thru-hole needed to be redone.
Old 04-09-2013, 19:33   #37

Two perspectives interesting. I AM a hands on kinda guy. I ran an apartment house of an old Victorian house converted and did all the repairs. NO a boat is NOT a house BUT I will learn hands on. To me cost is relative based on how much you can do yerself.
I hope and plan to live onboard and work part time. I am a single parent. And my gut says what the hell go for it.
I don't dare tell you what living costs me here about every month $1,200.00 and I own the house and would buy a boat cash
Old 04-09-2013, 19:39   #38

Don't discourage me, encourage. Yes yes reality might be something else. BUT ya only live once. If I stay here I see a train wreck down the road financially
Old 04-09-2013, 20:03   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Don't discourage me, encourage. Yes yes reality might be something else. BUT ya only live once. If I stay here I see a train wreck down the road financially

Billy, I don't think anyone is trying to discourage you. I don't want to encourage you OR discourage you, because it's your life -- not mine.

But I do know that just about anything is possible if you're willing to find a way to make it work. And, I've never met a sailor yet who wasn't a problem solver, who didn't enjoy problem-solving. Sailors vary tremendously but I think we do all have that one thing in common.

So I'll tell you that I'm 67 and I started learning to sail when I was 62. I bought a small boat and took it out *a lot*. Two years later I bought a bigger boat and moved on to it. November it will have been three years living aboard.

I ran into a LOT of naysayers, but the boat costs the same to maintain whether you live on it or live in a house and use it occasionally. I think I get a lot more value out of the money I've spent on it by living on it.

My slip rental -- including electric, cable and wifi -- is $542. Of course it's not big -- I have about as much living space as a medium sized RV -- but I also have a heated pool and a hot tub. This being Florida, it's quite reasonable to use the pool even in January. The maintenance people are terrific.

It's been a really grand adventure and I hate to think if I'd listened to the naysayers -- I wouldn't have spent a summer and part of the fall surrounded by bioluminescence. I probably never would have even been down to the boat at night and would have missed it completely. It's been worth everything just for that one astounding experience.

If you want, I can tell you how I prepared for living onboard ...
Old 04-09-2013, 20:25   #40

Rahu,
I hear you and find what you have written interesting. Perhaps you would tell me more.
Old 04-09-2013, 20:34   #41

To all this video is where I live now
Old 04-09-2013, 20:37   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Rahu,
I hear you and find what you have written interesting. Perhaps you would tell me more.

What I did was first, put three plastic bins in the dining room. In that bin went everything I was allowed to wear (you might not have that clothes issue as a guy). If I wanted to wear something not in the bin, I had to take something out -- permanently. That's how I pared down my wardrobe.

Meanwhile, I knew I had a limited budget for buying a boat, and I realized that the money would have to go more to finding a sound boat than "optional" amenities -- such as a refrigerator. So I put an ice chest in the kitchen and stopped using the fridge. Really. I had access to free ice, so that made it easier, and I learned to go to the store every few days and to be very selective.

You will probably buy a boat with a fridge -- but it will probably be very small, so in your shoes I would restrict myself to using only one or two shelves of it.

I urge you to not forget the one really big thing I forgot. I'd been sailing for two years. What does that mean? It means I was almost never in the cabin while at sea.

I bought the boat, moved my belongs aboard, and then came to the dock with a cat carrier in each hand, and as I stepped into the cabin I realized that most people who get seasick get seasick pretty regularly in the cabin. I'd been in the cockpit so much I didn't know whether I could "feel good" in the cabin! It could have been a very short experiment, but as it turns out I don't get seasick in the cabin, but it didn't have to work out that way.

I would suggest you charter a boat. When you live at home and sometimes sail your boat, you can cherry-pick the days you're on the boat. You want to make sure you can handle the kind of day we had today with storms coming through. Some of them really rocked and rolled the boat but I love that ...
Old 04-09-2013, 20:56   #43

LOl Oh I have sailed a Hobie Cat out into the ocean in hurricane surf and very low winds off new jersey. The guy with me threw up LOL . We rolled up and down in the waves. We couldn't see shore at the bottom. We went from Sea Isle City down to Stone Harbors south end and came ashore and were told we could not leave LOl. Finally they let us but we broke a rudder.
At summer camp in 68 at Summer Camp Afloat we sailed on a 100 foot barkentine "The Pride" and I sat up in the crows nest and loved it.
I am considering about a 42 foot boat
Old 06-09-2013, 09:38   #44
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

sillybilly,

I tried to send you this note as a Private Message (PM), but you've elected not to receive them.

You might want to consider starting your own thread, rather than taking over this one. WaterWriter started this one to ask for help in finding a liveaboard marina, and re-directing it to your own interests isn't going to help her.

Just a point of forum etiquette. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:02   #45

Yes well you are correct BUT I did start my own. I was new and one this thread was my first try. Sorry but I'm learning. Really not a big deal

Tags
liveaboard, paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: