Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2011, 20:15   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Contemplating Liveaboard

many of the items on the above list will be found at much less than the prices mentioned-- those are extemely high. the wind genny can be found for 500 -on up. the windvane can be found for 1500 and up . dont need to spend retail on anything. i found my 41 formosa for 10k . there are some good examples of these for sale for 30k--in good shape.
a DECENT autopilot is expensive--thebest ones are quadrant mounted hydraulic and muchmoney.
rigging lasts 10-20 yrs. running rigging lasts 5-8 yrs depending on the rope3s you use.
window unit a/c is cheepo--mine was 140 dollars for lg 5000 btu. lol... many ways to get good stuff for less.NEVER PAY RETAIL. and especially DONOT pay retail plus 400percent.
gooood luck. smooth sailing. welcome to this lifestyle. is always good to see another nurse on the water,
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 03:36   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

Finding a boat that has been refitted recently so you do not need to do immediate repairs or upgrades helps too. I looked at one yesterday like that. Literally a drive away boat. And at a good price. It is a buyers market (to use an overused term) and that helps finding boats and makes the choice more difficult because the quantity of boats coming on the market is expanding everyday.
Old 23-10-2011, 05:42   #33

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
many of the items on the above list will be found at much less than the prices mentioned-- those are extemely high. the wind genny can be found for 500 -on up. the windvane can be found for 1500 and up . dont need to spend retail on anything. i found my 41 formosa for 10k . there are some good examples of these for sale for 30k--in good shape.
a DECENT autopilot is expensive--thebest ones are quadrant mounted hydraulic and muchmoney.
rigging lasts 10-20 yrs. running rigging lasts 5-8 yrs depending on the rope3s you use.
window unit a/c is cheepo--mine was 140 dollars for lg 5000 btu. lol... many ways to get good stuff for less.NEVER PAY RETAIL. and especially DONOT pay retail plus 400percent.
gooood luck. smooth sailing. welcome to this lifestyle. is always good to see another nurse on the water,
This is very good advice. I always look to find good used products that people have grown tired of. Their loss is your gain.
Old 23-10-2011, 05:49   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

I understand the "Capable of going anywhere" thing - it doesn't mean you have to be going anywhere long distance / extended period (and will likely require some work to get her ship shape), but a useful Plan B (or C) to have in the tool kit.......if for no other reason than for making the day life more palatable.

I would be looking to buy in the location you will be working (on your budget can't afford to buy and ship or hire a delivery crew - even if she is seaworthy).........plus although internet is very useful, best deals come from boots on the ground - wandering around boat yards, nosing at boats and chatting to folk (95% of advice will probably be worthless - you just don't which is the 5% - yet!).

Boat type? if you can live fairly small / without all mod cons (at least from the start) I would be looking at something in the 30 foot range (plus or minus depending on beam) from the 60's / early 70's (plenty to Google on and the better ones will be known - back then they also made sh#t boats!, they weren't all "classics" nor intended to last 40 years) - and be open on the maker / model..........nothing will be ideal in design or condition, just want to make sure you know what you are getting into, before writing the cheque - not after (there will still be surprises ).

What you want is a deal, and ideally that involving the boat being a) seaworthy and b) in a condition where you are making enhancements out of choice.

The really good news is that you sound really handy with the spanners (b#stard ) - so someone's bad news with a knackered engine could be your good luck, either from a rebuild or a s/h replacement. An old boat with no (working) engine is fairly unsaleable, and priced accordingly........depending on boat size / design you get could get away with an Outboard on the back for docking - whilst the rebuild progress (cash is saved for).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 06:06   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
.............I would be looking to buy in the location you will be working (on your budget can't afford to buy and ship or hire a delivery crew - even if she is seaworthy).........plus although internet is very useful, best deals come from boots on the ground - wandering around boat yards, nosing at boats and chatting to folk (95% of advice will probably be worthless - you just don't which is the 5% - yet!)......................
I think this is very sound advice from David_Old_Jersey. If you're in Orlando it's a short drive to Titusville where, at the Municipal Marina and the Westland DIY Yard, there are a great number of boats in all stages of repair and readiness with owners eager to share there experiences. Also a lot of idle lost dreams.
Old 23-10-2011, 07:03   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I think this is very sound advice from David_Old_Jersey. If you're in Orlando it's a short drive to Titusville where, at the Municipal Marina and the Westland DIY Yard, there are a great number of boats in all stages of repair and readiness with owners eager to share there experiences. Also a lot of idle lost dreams.
Yeah, and being able to see a few projects close up that are in progress or stalled will be of interest, especially those where the owner explains they are 3 years into a 3 month refurb
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 10:26   #37

Boat: Columbia 41

Be careful to price systems incluting all their components. The wind generator in the earlier post included the following. Windmax generator (Amazon) was $700. The schedule 4 stainless steel post 8' long (ebay) was $150. The stainless steel flange to support it at the deck, $45 (ebay). Four 3/4" bolts for the flange-deck mount, $35 (ebay). Four 45 degree stainless steel sockets for whisker poles $65 (Defender). Two 8' lengths of 1" tube for whisker stays (Defender) $90. Labor charge to weld the whisker pole sockets to the 4" stainless steel pole, $75. 200 feet of #8 wire from the generator to the controller (ebay), $200. 150A breaker on wire from generator to controller (Defender), $60. One 50A breaker from controller to battery bank (Defender) $30. Miscellaneous wire crimp fittings, Dow 5200 sealant, paint and UPS shipping, say $100. Total for the wind generator system: $1,550.00. Of course, other than the welders labor cost there was no other paid labor involved. Once the components were all ready to go it took two full days to get the wire pulled and everything up and running. Do not underestimate the time needed for that. Most important, study out everything and where it can best be located on your boat. Think it through.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 10:44   #38

as for a wind genny-- air x makes a non marine version which is also for use in the outdoors---is grey and 750 new. thre are heavy duty pvc vs abs tubings which work so well and for soooo cheep-use a wood back on top and a nice aluminum one on the back or wood with epoxy, and ta daa--less than millions of dollars and under 1000, to boot. isnt always in need of steel or aluminum. there are other adequate methods of work that have stood the test of sea and time. you are a nurse--youcan think outside the box. is allowed.
btw--the install time for the one e used in gulf of mexico was 1 hour 20 min.

NEVER use 5200 unless is glue for PERMANENT mounting. is anything EVER permanent on boat--is NOT caulk nor bedding compound. 4200 is, same company.
Old 23-10-2011, 11:45   #39

The wind generator directions called for steel 4" schedule 40 pipe. I elected not to second guess the manufacturer. My only upgrade in that department was to go with stainless steel since this is a marine installation. As for the 1 hour 20 minute insallation time, come and work on my boat. I have a number of 1 hour 20 minute projects for you and I will pay a top dollar hourly rate.
Old 23-10-2011, 11:50   #40

i guess one just need think outside the box---i was sailing with a broke-a** old minibike racer who did all his own work and saved much much money in so doing and in finding workable items. the pvc vs abs tubing worked well and we cruised with it for half year, no problems. there were many other repairs that worked well despite not being "approved" for marine use. he is still using same boat with same conditions--i left there 2010 may
Old 23-10-2011, 13:19   #41

Trust me, thinking outside the box is a speciality of USMC Mechanics.... We used to make bets on who could survive a week in the field with using the fewest parts and tools... I once kept 12 tracks running with nothing more than my Gerber Multi-tool, Duct-tape, Safety wire and Silicone... ;-)

But I was also the mechanic who was anal about making sure the vehicles were ready to go to the field.... I never trusted the yard apes to keep up their gear... made for long hours on the ramp, but easy time in the field.

I'm really looking forward to the adventure.... Life is a Terminal Condition, make the most of it while you can.
DevilDogNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 08:47   #42

Been looking at more boats on-line (all I really can do at the moment) and was wondering... Would it be better to buy a smaller, cheaper boat first to "cut my teeth" on and then upsize to a larger boat in a couple of years? Or just save up and buy the bigger boat first?
DevilDogNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 09:16   #43

depends on how market is going to be--right now is difficult to sell the smaller boat unless you are willing to just about give it away then folks wonder what is wrong with it you will sell for low......good luck! sail all you can and go from there....
Old 30-10-2011, 09:22   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogNurse View Post
Been looking at more boats on-line (all I really can do at the moment) and was wondering... Would it be better to buy a smaller, cheaper boat first to "cut my teeth" on and then upsize to a larger boat in a couple of years? Or just save up and buy the bigger boat first?
Six to some...Half a dozen to others..what ever you want to do will work big or small ..big is more money ..I know folks that thought they would love flying so much that they bought the biggest and best,then it sat for days ,then weeks, then years on end...always be careful for what you ask for ..you might get it ...and then decide you dont like it that much..good luck and have lots of fun..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 10:21   #45

Strange to say but...the answer to your question is on your book shelf. What do you read? Owning a big boat is a big commitment. It takes a lot of study to understand and to maintain the many different systems necessary to keep a boat functioning. If you have a long term interest in all things nautical your book shelf will show it. If your interest is more passing (and there is nothing wrong with that) your book shelf will say as much. So, if you are not in it all the way, better to buy a day sailor or weekend cruiser than to get into a blue water boat you tire of all too soon.

Tags
liveaboard