Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-10-2011, 23:24   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Contemplating Liveaboard

welcome devildognurse--i worked nursing many years as a liveaboard... welcome and smooth sailing!!

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 20:14   #17

Is it considered bad form to post links to boats just to get opinions on them? I've seen quite a few that to my very unknowing eye look like they would fit the bill.... But I'd like to get some opinions from people who have actually done this.

Old 21-10-2011, 20:32   #18

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Perhaps a couple of day charters, begging your way onto boats for day sails, etc., would help you quickly find more of your preferences, likes and dislikes, needs in a boat, etc.
Old 21-10-2011, 23:02   #19

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogNurse View Post
Is it considered bad form to post links to boats just to get opinions on them? I've seen quite a few that to my very unknowing eye look like they would fit the bill.... But I'd like to get some opinions from people who have actually done this.
Your buying not selling but either case anyone can post links to boats for openions.
Old 22-10-2011, 01:04   #20

I would suggest you look at the 41 Morgan Out Island models. They have a lot of room, shoal draft, and were designed for living aboard in the islands. I have seen these boats in the 40's, I know it is a little above your stated price range. I have a 32' and it is really only large enough for 2 people max. You said you would probably have up to 4 people on your boat at times. The quality of living between Camping aboard and Living aboard is directly related to the volume of space below deck. Cramped quarters are not much to look forward to after a hard day at work. Good Luck
Old 22-10-2011, 03:46   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
On links

In general we don't like links that are going to vanish. Leaves a hole when the boat is sold (yes, it can happen).

Also, regrettably, one of the faster ways to get a boat sold is to start posting details on CF. If it's a desirable bargain someone will snaffle it from under you.

What may be better is to mention the boat and its general description and to ask for opinions.

It has been known for some members to do a "drive by" to look at a local boat that's too far for a member to get to.

If you do go to look at a boat do take lots of photos and post them so we can all get a gander.
Old 22-10-2011, 04:38   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Contemplaing Liveaboard

Quote:
OK... I'm looking on-line right now... I'm currently in Chicagoland (not buying here!) and am looking to move temporarily to Orlando (I know it's land locked). My brother is there and he has a spare room I can crash on for 6mo-year.... I can reasonably save over $1,000 a month... Maybe closer to $2k... I am a RN and do make a nice living.

Like I said, I am in the middle of what is shaping up to be a Nasty Divorce... I know i'm going to be on the hook for $1400 or so a month in child support. So once that's paid, and I help my brother with the rent, i should be able to save a decent penny each month. I'm giving the STBX the house and we were almost debt free when she decided to leave me (A rich Doctor made her a better offer.... 12yrs down the damn drain)

I'm not taking anything more than what will fit in my subcompact 4dr car. I figure I'll pick up what I need at goodwill when I get there....

Living on a sailboat has always been a dream of mine... I know how to handle small boats quite well, and with a little patience and training, I figure I'll get the hang of a larger boat.

Expanding my search in size has opened my eyes a little... there seem to be some 35'+ boats well in my price range, that appear ready to move aboard....

I don't NEED that room, but I have three boys who I want to come visit me all the time.... I need a little more room for them....
Go for the bigger size... its worth the extra effort..
That way you get to live onboard... not just exsist....
Believe me..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 07:01   #23

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Maybe a LITTLE more background is in order.... I'm 32yo... Young I know, but I've got A lot more miles on me than most 32yo guys...

I'm probably going to make a mistake or three on my first boat... But I tend to make those mistakes on everything I do (see marriage/divorce for explanation)

I want something that I can move onto and sail away... It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be habitable and water tight.

Clothes? I literally took 1/8 of the closet... I'm a nurse. My uniform is essentially pajamas... I've been living just fine out of a single large suitcase for a week now. I can work pretty much anywhere.

I'm not interested so much in GOING SOMEWHERE, as just being on the water. Living in Chicago, this is the first time in my life I cant smell the ocean... I miss it. I don't need much. I figure I'll start out in a Marina and then maybe try a ball or on the hook... I'll just see how it goes.

I want a boat that is CAPABLE of making the voyage to the places I mentioned before. I'd love to take a week off and just dissapear on the water for a while.. And in my specialty of Nursing, that is easily doable.
In this economy the banks are real gun shy about making loans. Would you consider taking a note out to increase the dollar ammount for purchase?
Old 22-10-2011, 07:40   #24

Boat: Columbia 41

"I want something that I can move onto and sail away... It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be habitable and water tight."

This becomes a circular argument. To just sail away the boat has to be paid for. So, no bank note is possible. Also, to be at sea is to be in outer space with the added danger of drowning. In other words, you will need everyting (and back up for it) necessary for life support. Frankly, that cost a lot of money. And frankly, that is why a lot of newbe's buy more boat than they can afford and soon find they do not have the money to maintain what they have much less to make it sea worthy. So, save your nickles until you have about $35k stashed away. Then go look for a boat asking price of $25k. Then buy the boat for $20k. At the end of the day you might make your dream work. And by then your kids will be old enough to crew for you.
Old 22-10-2011, 08:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
So, save your nickles until you have about $35k stashed away. Then go look for a boat asking price of $25k. Then buy the boat for $20k. At the end of the day you might make your dream work. And by then your kids will be old enough to crew for you.

Just the advice I was looking for!

Ok, I think my hyperbole was showing...

I don't want to just "Sail away", but I want a boat that is capable of it... I know there is A LOT more involved in planning a trip than just going... Just like the Marines would never go anywhere without a 5-paragrah order, I'm guessing most of ya'll wouldn't toss the lines without doing a thorough check and double check...

I'm not too worried about the boats I'm looking at being "snatched out from under me", because I am honestly a year or so out from this... I have to get the divorce situation finished (Still holding a tiny bit of hope she comes home) and then I have to find a Job to transfer to, move to FLA, and start saving my doll-hairs... So that means 12-18mo before I could have enough cash to buy a boat...
Old 22-10-2011, 08:55   #26

OK.... So just to show Ya'll what I've been looking at....

Low Buck, Needs a New engine but otherwise looks ok....
Used 1977 Pearson 28 Sl, Stuart FL - 99875389 - BoatTrader.com

Looks ready to go.... Price looks very reasonable...
Used 1974 C&c Mkii, Marathon FL - 99015645 - BoatTrader.com

A little Newer.... A little Pricier....
Used 1981 C&c 3gm30f, St Augustine FL - 99050881 - BoatTrader.com
Old 22-10-2011, 10:23   #27

Ok, jumping in on the comment made that first time boat owners sometimes buy boats too big and then find they do not have the funds to maintain -- or something like that -- a concern of mine since we plan to retire onto a sailboat. Want to have a boat large enough for children to visit (parents and 2-4 kids).
Had thought about getting 42 to 48 ft.
Expect to only have $150,000 and income of $4,000 a month that we would use. In addition to that, would have emergency $50,000 set back.

So -- how much would you recommend spending on the actual boat purchase so that the $150,000 would definitely cover EVERYTHING -- including fishing gear, diving gear, plus any upgrades required, new mattresses (I know it depends on what we buy, as if sails are needed to be upgraded, but price would be less for boat then.but more dollars to get ready. etc. We are inland now, so have nothing. So, I guess when we get ready to really look (2-3 yrs.) we will have to put together a list of possible things needed to replace -- list each of them and the cost before we look at boats so that we can compare each boat and their needs to get an estimated total cost of each and then go from there.

In total boat plus upgrades would it be doable for $100,000?
Old 22-10-2011, 11:02   #28

Considering I'm looking at <$35K total, I REALLY HOPE SO!!!!!

;-)
Old 22-10-2011, 11:09   #29

In Training... I tried to send this in a PM, but I cant because its a link...

Used 1992 Gemini 3200, Islamorada FL - 99880015 - BoatTrader.com

I would think a Cat like that would fit the bill for you very nicely... I know it's what I really want, but maybe in the future...
Old 22-10-2011, 17:24   #30

Boat: Columbia 41

"So -- how much would you recommend spending on the actual boat purchase so that the $150,000 would definitely cover EVERYTHING -- including fishing gear, diving gear, plus any upgrades required, new mattresses..."

It depends on the condition of the boat you are looking to buy. An older fibergalss boat (1970-1990) in the 40 foot + range will cost from $35k to $65k. However, everything costs more on larger boats so the condition of each system is important. - Does the engine have low hours showin on the meter? That is a good thing because to repower a boat will cost upwards of $10k. Are the fuel filters in good shape? Has the fuel tank been cleaned? How about the batteries and starter?
- Does the boat have the original standing rigging? That has a limited life too; five years is a rule of thumb though it may last much the boat has not been off shore much. I had the mast pulled on myh boat and replaced all my standing and running rigging with new made up by the West Marine rigging shop. Everything including two weeks of dry storage cost about $5k.
- A new suit of sails for my boat would cost $4k easily but I haven't gone there yet.
- Electronics can cost a lot. So can galley upgrades, refrigeration, a life raft, eperb and Type 1 PFDs for the crew.
-All of that does not address things like a water maker or genset or new interior cosmetics. If you add air conditioning it's big money.
- If you add a wind powered generator it will cost $2k minimum (I added that). A self steering vane will be upwards of $4k (I didn't add that).
- And don't forget, crusing costs money too. Food costs can be about $10 per person per day.
So, If your budget is $150k total, I would advise you to aime for a boat costing half that and then do your upgrades. You may have a little money left over. By the way, you should pay for a marine survey before you buy the boat. It is money well spent. Use the survey as a check list for things that require attention.

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: