Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 11:17   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Considering Liveaboard Lifestyle - Input requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgrl33 View Post
To start, we'll be in a Marina as we both work full-time jobs in the city. We'll probably start with short, weekend trips. If we embrace the lifestyle, in retirement we hope to travel much more. We're viewing this first purchase as the "starter" boat as a way to determine if this could be long-term for us. Any input on boat type/style, etc., very welcome! Thanks.

I ask as gas boats are great boats to sit in a Marina, they are priced much less and who needs the motors when your sitting in a Marina.
But they don't last nearly as long as a Diesel engine, burn huge amounts more fuel and the fuel cost is substantially more, and gasoline is way more explosive than Diesel, the danger can be managed, but it is something that does needs to be respected.
In short my opinion is that a gas boat is not suitable for doing any real cruising in, the fuel bill alone will be astronomical.
Perfect example of pay me now or pay me later

Current fuel price in my Marina today is
GAS $3.51
DIESEL $2.34
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:21   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If possible buy a boat with the intent on selling it as you may be doing so. Think like you were going to "flip" it.
Try to find a popular boat, one that has a good reputation and a following, then start looking around, if you have cash in hand and you let the word out, one will surface. You may be looking for awhile and further away than ideal, but it will happen and when it does you have to be in a position to snap it up as those deals often don't last.
That way if you decide this is not for you, maybe you can get rid of it without losing too much.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:22   #18

Boat: 40' Bayliner Bodega

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In short my opinion is that a gas boat is not suitable for doing any real cruising in, the fuel bill alone will be astronomical.
Thanks. Good input. We have read a bit about the pros and cons of both and it seems that many people have a real preference for one or the other. Your points are well made.
pdxgrl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:23   #19

Quote:
If possible buy a boat with the intent on selling.
That way if you decide this is not for you, maybe you can get rid of it without losing too much.
Thanks. We were actually thinking the same thing. Appreciate the reinforcement on that idea.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:47   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Fuel costs can be a show stopper. A typical chris craft, which is a lovely liveaboard BTW, will get about 1.5 miles per gallon. So a 100 mile trip at 12-15 knots) will cost $226 for fuel. A single screw diesel trawler traveling at 6 knots will get about 3 MPG for a cost of $113. A sailboat that motors maybe $34 for fuel at 5-6 knots. Mind you a chris craft on one engine at idle speed, might get 3 mpg too, so there are ways to use less fuel (you travel slower)

Plus with twin engines you double filters and oil change cost.

Ditto what redhead said about shoes. I started out with a measly 11 pairs of shoes. Now down to three pair and I wear flip flops most of the time.

It takes time to adjust to boat life. One locker for his and hers hanging cloths takes a bit to get use to. I have found that over time less is more. Of course I enjoy traveling and anchoring. Marina life is much like life in the 50's 60's where you know and talk to your neighbors.

You'll most likely use the landside showers at the marina, as they have way bigger stalls and unlimited hot water, or so it will seem. The onboard shower would be for stormy days or anchoring.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Fuel costs can be a show stopper.

Ditto what redhead said about shoes. I started out with a measly 11 pairs of shoes. Now down to three pair and I wear flip flops most of the time.

Marina life is much like life in the 50's 60's where you know and talk to your neighbors.
Great points to consider about fuel. Thanks.

Love the shoe reference. Thankfully I'm not a shoe or clothes horse, but I will definitely have to rethink was I truly use and what I won't. I could get used to flip flops most of the time!

Marina life, and knowing the neighbors, is one of the things that really appeals to us. We're very sociable and miss having a "clan" where we currently live. Cheers!
Old 11-08-2016, 12:21   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Last house had a HUGE kitchen, I mean I bought I think I bought about 50' of Granite counter tops, maybe 60 with the island and all.
Wife has never been a cook, but when we moved I was digging out pieces of cook ware that I know were never used, I guess she would be shopping and think it's neat and buy it and since we had endless storage space it would go into the black hole and be forgotten about.
On the boat I bought stacking pots I think they are called with a lid that has ridges on it so it fits all the pots etc. It all works with no issue and since we will be cooking and cleaning for two people and not the seven we had in the house just a few years ago it works.
I only want good flip flops, she keeps accumulating shoes still, but that will end I'm sure as there is a finite amount of room.
Clothes is her big issue, I never knew this and discovered it when I mentioned "Honey we could save a lot by shopping Goodwill and second hand shops" and I saw the look of horror on her face, so I have learned to stay off of clothes . me I don't care if I weren't so ugly I'd go without if it didn't offend others.

But we all have our little peeves, I like tools, good tools though I don't want junk and I have put some money in tools I'm sure, way more than I actually needed.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:41   #23

Quote:
Last house had a HUGE kitchen, I mean I bought I think I bought about 50' of Granite counter tops, maybe 60 with the island and all.
Right now we're in an average sized home, but it has a big kitchen, with abundant storage and counter space. So, I relate. And, we love to cook. I think my way of looking at this is somewhat like "permanent" camping. And usually one does discover that less is more. But that's not to say this doesn't feel a little overwhelming as we contemplate options. We'll see. Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-08-2016, 14:13   #24

Boat: Hunter 386

As relative newbies, we spent last year aboard our 38 foot sailboat in the PNW. Like you we wanted a comfortable berth, separate shower and well-layed out galley. And I'm still glad we found those, although the shower stall did have the head in it so we just made it a practice to squeegee it out immediately after use; but at least the vanity was in a separate space.

About a 1/3 of our year was out sailing and the other portion was mostly at the dock. In retrospect there were two completely separate lists of needs and wants. Here are a few quick thoughts:

At dock (in the winter)
  • It was good to have easier and more comfortable access on and off the boat.
  • I could wish we had a few more power outlets and different intensity lights.
  • The cockpit enclosure was great for creating veranda/mud room space.
  • A good, even, heating system was a must.
  • An external connection for our high speed internet was a bonus.
  • Big water tanks were also useful to eliminate the number of times I had to go out at 6 pm and refill the tank. (Good gauges are also a plus here.)
  • We converted the salon table to a big comfy berth with pillows and blankets for lounging and almost always ate off a TV table.
  • Good airflow to avoid setting off the smoke detector when cooking was something we should have looked for.
  • Spend some time moving around the boat together. Some boats are easy to do what we call the "boat dance." Staying out of each other's way can get real tedious tied up to the dock
  • Solid dock lines and lots of cleats!

Cruising
  • The spacious galley had its downsides as we inevitably left something unstowed in bouncy weather. Transitioning from dock queen to cruising boat was a skill we had to keep relearning.
  • The big fridge and freezer were energy hogs.
  • Ease of use (docking, sailing, anchoring) became way more important than a separate shower when we were traveling, occasionally having us wish we'd gotten bow thrusters rather than a queen berth . There are always monetary compromises that will favour one thing over the other.
  • Batteries and chargers were also much more important than heaters once we moved off the dock. Lots of LED lighting and the ability to only light the area you were in became important.
  • Consider the ventilation, but in a completely different way than in the winter.
  • But also consider your ability to keep mosquitos out... a real pain at 3 in the morning :-)
  • And deck space with equal parts sun and shade is great, to soak in the morning sun and block the afternoon heat.
  • To hell with the cleats, just give us a solid anchor and lots of chain!

The only other thing I have to add is — in my admittedly limited experience — that sailboats are the masters of storage space. We could cram way more stuff in our sailboat than we ever could on the powerboats we've been on. Just sayin...

Good luck!

Bruce

Quote:
We need to maintain a shore based lifestyle and will be docked in a Marina in one of our rivers here in Portland, OR.

As you can imagine, I have plenty of questions about the pros and cons of life on a boat. And I'm asking myself if I can truly be happy on such a small space. I'm finding that Salons with big windows are a must. Obviously as much storage space as possible. I like to cook, so an ergonomic galley is a must. I've already determined that a real shower stall is also a must. And I can't imagine us sleeping comfortably on anything smaller than a Queen sized bed, so a larger Cabin. Soooo.....can these "musts" be met on a liveaboard in our price range? Anyone have success remodeling existing Cabins for more sleeping space? I'm leaving the mechanical, technical, survey and equipment questions up to my husband!
Old 11-08-2016, 14:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
As relative newbies, we spent last year aboard our 38 foot sailboat in the PNW.

Good luck!

Bruce
Bruce,
Thank you SO much. This is fantastic input (and fun to read). Really appreciate the time. So, any second thoughts now that you've done this for the last year? Would you go back to land? Anything you really, really miss from a "real" house? Sounds like you're having a great time. Thanks, again.
Old 11-08-2016, 14:23   #26

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Bruce,
Thank you SO much. This is fantastic input (and fun to read). Really appreciate the time. So, any second thoughts now that you've done this for the last year? Would you go back to land? Anything you really, really miss from a "real" house? Sounds like you're having a great time. Thanks, again.
Alas a year was all we had and we are back to land full-time these past 4 weeks. We kept the boat and hope to do 1-2 month stints each summer but for now it's all about the gainful employment.

But I would do it again in a minute. There was something so liberating about "living small."
Old 11-08-2016, 16:56   #27

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Hi PDXgrl; Welcome to CF and Portland boating.

I've been living off and on at Tomahawk Bay for 6 years and back in 2010 my 35' sailboat cost $40k. I'd be happy to share info more specific to Oregon options if you want to send me a personal message. I don't know much about "Motorboats", but have friends that do...
Old 11-08-2016, 17:29   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Clothes is her big issue, I never knew this and discovered it when I mentioned "Honey we could save a lot by shopping Goodwill and second hand shops" and I saw the look of horror on her face, so I have learned to stay off of clothes . me I don't care if I weren't so ugly I'd go without if it didn't offend others.
I have found some VERY nice, "new looking" blouses at goodwill for $5 that would be $65 or $90 at the name brand store. Plus some bitching "first date" pants for a tiny amount of $$$. Of course lots I would not be caught dead in too.

By the look of things, some items were never worn. Does require a sharp Eye. Myself finding $100 jeans for $5 is a totally fabulous feeling.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 17:57   #29

Boat: Trawler custom 60'

Hi just thought I would chime in..I have the boat you are looking for..60' 16 on the beam..walk around 4 poster queen..full size shower flush head with an electra san..polma on demand hot water heater..you can stand in the shower till you rust..full size galley double ss sinks wrap around counter tops a big salon with a reclining couch and pub table with 4 stools..flat sceen tv sattalite and more storage than you could fill..250gal fresh water 525gal fuel 80gal waste..burns 1.5 gal at 8knts...with that said its not for sale just wanted to let you know there are out there..don't rush into something you wont be happy with..buying a boat is easy..selling it is a whole different story think outside the box..there is a nice tug for sale 49.000 has the room you seek..there is a boat at my marina going up for auction 5,000 nice liveaboard..so as everyone has said on this forum is mantinace costs..unless you just want too live on it and not use it..until the marina or dnr condems it..LOL...you and your husband are 2 hrs away..drop me a line come for a crusie..my wife is a great cook...good luck in your search..there is nothing beter than messing with boats...Rick
mysticdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I have found some VERY nice, "new looking" blouses at goodwill
I completely agree. If you're willing to spend a bit of time looking, Goodwill rocks for some excellent clothing at great prices!

Tags
liveaboard