Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12   #31

Boat: 40' Bayliner Bodega
Re: Considering Liveaboard Lifestyle - Input requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticdreamer View Post
Hi just thought I would chime in..I have the boat you are looking for

you and your husband are 2 hrs away..drop me a line come for a crusie..my wife is a great cook...good luck in your search..there is nothing beter than messing with boats...Rick
Thanks, Rick. Are you sure you don't want to sell...cheap?! LOL But seriously, it is nice to hear that there are plenty of options and we definitely are taking our time. Budget is of concern, but frankly, choosing this lifestyle will be a huge savings compared to the ridiculous Portland housing costs, allowing for a good maintenance and operation budget. We are absolutely taking everyone's advice to heart and really appreciate the helpfulness of this community.

If we find the right boat, we'll definitely give you a shout. We'll bring the wine!
pdxgrl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:23   #32

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Checkout a Facebook group called "Cooking on Boats". Most everyone is a foodie and they turn out some fabulous meals on boats. Also recipes. I use it all the time. There's another called "Pressure Cooking on Boats" thats not so active.

There are a few things I've had to give up in the kitchen but not much. I never thought I could live without my KitchenAid mixer so I brought it along. I've used it 3 times in the last 1.5 years. Now I knead my bread by hand and love it!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:28   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I have found some VERY nice, "new looking" blouses at goodwill for $5 that would be $65 or $90 at the name brand store. Plus some bitching "first date" pants for a tiny amount of $$$. Of course lots I would not be caught dead in too.

By the look of things, some items were never worn. Does require a sharp Eye. Myself finding $100 jeans for $5 is a totally fabulous feeling.

I know and when you get around some of the Wealthier retirement towns like Sarasota you can find things for next to nothing.

But we all have something we find important, I guess it would be like someone telling me to buy my tools from Harbor Freight or some of those one size fits all tools sold on TV late at night.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:50   #34

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know and when you get around some of the Wealthier retirement towns like Sarasota you can find things for next to nothing.

But we all have something we find important, I guess it would be like someone telling me to buy my tools from Harbor Freight or some of those one size fits all tools sold on TV late at night.

No, it is more like finding a set of Snap On tools at a pawn shop.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:36   #35

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

People love the old Chris Crafts , But the gas engines will cost alot of money to run . look for a boat with one or two four cylinder diesels , as you use your boat you will be glad you did . ask around for input at the dock on fuel consumption of both , you will be surprised .
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 13:16   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you're going to cruise very many miles, diesel is safer and more economical. The right engines in the right hull are as economical as a small boat with a small diesel. I have an 83', 80 ton boat that burns 8.5 gallons at 10 knots (1.1516 miles/knot) an hour. 7 knots is somewhere around 4 gallons an hour. That's in the ocean in average seas, I never checked in still water.
Saint Helens marina has some of the cheaper fuel on the Columbia River and gives a discount for buying 100 gallons or more and paying with cash or debit card that together comes to 10%.
If you're working you many need to be in Portland, but the dockage gets cheaper the further you get away from a big city.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 18:37   #37

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

As a live aboard on a 1969 46' Roamer Chris Craft, they are hard to beat for room and very easy to modify/remodel the interior without structural concerns.

Mine was gas powered and as time and money allotted, I performed a diesel conversion to two ford lehman 120's. I've been running on them for the past 8 years doing 7 kts and burning 2.8 gallons an hour to do it. Not bad for a boat that just tipped the scales at 50k lb during her haulout this past March.

At this point, I have a household size fridge, a household washer and dryer, electric range and oven, and an automatic dishwasher among many of the other amenities usually only found in a home and she is fit to put to sea.

The storage space is tremendous.

The Chris Crafts built in the 60's and 70's are built like tanks. With basic maintenance, my 47yo baby will outlast me.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 11:07   #38

Boat: Viking Motoryacht 44'

Congratulations on taking the step to explore this. I don't know how much I can help you but I am not far down the coast from you (Gloucester, MA) and we just made the move to our boat this spring. We both still work (I from the boat and my guy still has to do some traveling although he is mastering the fishing trade on his days off - as a hobby more than anything). We sold everything - which unless you are as committed and sick of stuff as we were you might do some in storage. I brought things to the boat I now never use and sold things I wish I had but nothing far off in either direction. All in all I love less stuff and more sky, sea and air. And I still find spaces on the boat that with the right planning have given me double the storage one can see from the first glance.

But we spent double your budget for a exceptionally maintained 44' motor cruiser and we got a steal - right time right place. It has everything you are describing to a tee. You will want a washer/dryer and adjustable height shower heads for the taller person. We will still spend minimum of $10K a year to maintain and fix - even in her great condition - mostly because we will be traveling to Florida each winter and can not take chances and she deserves it. This of course is outside of dockage fees and diesel.

But we no longer have a mortgage, RE taxes, I put no mileage on my car and sleep like a baby each night. I spend each morning drinking coffee early morning before my work starts on the Aft Deck watching the fishing boats go out and wine in the evenings watching them come in. We even brought our cat aboard and he loves it.

If I can help you further feel free to contact me or come to visit for an afternoon. hkkelton@gmail.com

Like you my guy does all the mechanical heavy lifting and was the one with all the prior boating experience. However I have become the certified safety mate (ensuring I am certified in each state we spend time in), schedule annual BoatUS safety inspection, handle all the documentation and insurance and have become the navigator (I took several courses to be proficient in paper, on-board and handheld options). And now I am also having fun learning to drive her.

Good luck!
Enjoy!
Holly
hkkelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 13:29   #39

We're considering a 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega. Use for this boat will be liveaboard primarily, docked at a marina. Secondarily as a river runner in the Pacific Northwest. One-year old survey shows very clean boat, with very little concern. Approximately 600 hours on the engines. This looks to us as quite the creampruff. Would love any and all input. Go!
Old 13-08-2016, 13:56   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgrl33 View Post
We're considering a 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega. Use for this boat will be liveaboard primarily, docked at a marina. Secondarily as a river runner in the Pacific Northwest. One-year old survey shows very clean boat, with very little concern. Approximately 600 hours on the engines. This looks to us as quite the creampruff. Would love any and all input. Go!
Get a second and more recent survey to verify the appropriateness of your considerations. If it checks out and falls within your budget, I would say get it down. When nice boats come along the tendency is to hesitate and that leads to a lost opportunity. Also suggest you make an offer that will secure the boat dependent on the second survey. If it is accepted and the survey is good, you have your boat. If not, you have saved your monies and can look again elsewhere.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 14:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Checkout a Facebook group called "Cooking on Boats". Most everyone is a foodie and they turn out some fabulous meals on boats. Also recipes. I use it all the time. There's another called "Pressure Cooking on Boats" thats not so active.

There are a few things I've had to give up in the kitchen but not much. I never thought I could live without my KitchenAid mixer so I brought it along. I've used it 3 times in the last 1.5 years. Now I knead my bread by hand and love it!
Yeah, when boating and RVing, less is more. We all tend to think we need the latest greatest newfangled gadgets in our kitchen. I am a qualified chef and former restaurant owner. I can do everything in my RV and boat that needs to be done to make a class A meal and multiple variations there to. Of course there are a few challenges but I'd say most of them are mental. It is absolutely amazing what you can perfect in a small but very adequate galley vs a commercial kitchen (and you are not normally cooking for larger crowds - I can do larger family meals for Thanksgiving or Christmas but the family usually invites us to come and join them also, most marinas have an available kitchen/dining room facility for use ou need/want it.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 19:33   #42

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I walked the the docks from Portland to Bellingham... I read books and the internet... I studied and created a spreadsheet to compare features... then I forgot all that and bought the boat that I fell in love with.
Old 14-08-2016, 07:31   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
then I forgot all that and bought the boat that I fell in love with.
Love it! And certainly a lot of truth. We've made an offer based upon survey and river test. Did enough research to feel comfortable, although some Bayliner reviews were not positive. The boat really fits our list, so if all is good, I think we've made a fine choice. Not sure we trust the boat broker, but eyes wide open. Thanks for input.
Old 30-08-2016, 21:42   #44

I found this thread to be highly interesting as we are about two steps behind the OP. We're looking at another year or two in our RV before moving aboard for our next adventure.

One of the things that wasn't asked, and I wish had been addressed, is financing. For those of you that chimed in, did you pay cash for your boat, or did you finance it? Can you even finance an older boat?

I ask because we're young (46/36), we don't have any kids, we have mild debt that we hope to pay off before moving aboard, and we have a little savings. But we don't have $100K to buy a boat with cash either.

We sold our 1500sqft sticks and bricks in March and moved into our RV full time. Its 38ft long with opposing rear sides. So I *THINK* we're halfway to living comfortable in a monohull, but I know that a motoryacht will give us the room we're used to in an RV. As for our stuff, we've had it in storage for 5 months now and are in the process of selling/donating anything we haven't needed/seen or used since March. Between our RV payment, and our lot rent, we're paying slightly less than our mortgage payment was, so our savings isn't as much as we'd had hoped, but our lives have gotten so much more stress free, relaxed, and enjoyable now.

A number of you said that the OP's budget didn't match her want/need list. How advisable would it be for her/me to put down the $40K in cash, and finance the rest on a slightly more expensive boat?
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 09:05   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post

One of the things that wasn't asked, and I wish had been addressed, is financing. For those of you that chimed in, did you pay cash for your boat, or did you finance it? Can you even finance an older boat?
So, I can only speak to our first-time experience, which is still in the works. We applied for a loan with our local credit union. The process was simple. They will finance at 90%, with a 10% down requirement. We're buying a 1982 and they were unconcerned about age and did not require a copy of the survey. They do require full insurance coverage, of course. We did learn that if the survey valued the boat higher than NADA they would go with the survey value for the loan, as needed. Interest and payments will be very reasonable/affordable.

On a side note, we are finding that everyone's recommendation that we have $10,000 cash available, above the purchase costs, for repairs, improvements, maintenance, etc., is absolutely spot on. My personal motto is the less debt the better and if you can afford a large down-payment, why not? Hope this is somewhat helpful. I'm sure others with more experience may have additional input. Cheers!

Tags
liveaboard