Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 12:18   #1

Boat: 40' Bayliner Bodega
Considering buying 40' Bayliner Bodego as Liveaboard

Hello all! We are new to this forum and recently posted a thread asking for input for newbies on a liveaboard. Thanks for everyone's input. We're considering a 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega. Use for this boat will be liveaboard primarily, docked at a marina. Secondarily as a river runner in the Pacific Northwest. One-year old survey shows very clean boat, with very little concern. Approximately 600 hours on the engines. This looks to us as quite the creampruff. Would love any and all input. Go!
pdxgrl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 11:30   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: Considering buying 40' Bayliner Bodego as Liveaboard

What engines and generator? The Bayliner owners club forum would be your best place to find information on the Bodega model. I know they were gas powered with a diesel option, as with any boat the care and maintenance of previous owners is very important. Spend the money for a surveyor to go over it while you can be with him. That will help you know what condition the boat is in and any problems you're getting with it. I would want a current survey by a surveyor of my choice and being there during the survey will allow you to learn about the systems and the condition of each. Also any problems discovered during the survey would be reason to negotiate a lower price or have it repaired before purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 11:58   #3

Read the survey well. Nothing wrong with old Bayliners, my smaller '82 was heavy built. Key things to watch for are, fuel tanks, rot in stringers and rot in the transom. Often the transom rot is from outdrives though, but anything screwed into it can be a problem like levelers etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 05:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Could be a very good choice for your intended purposes.

Post 6 ➥ Bayliner Owners Club - BOC Forum - Topic: Bodega 4050...any thoughts? (1/1)

“The Bodega was built from 1978 to 1983 and had just about the most interior room of any 40' boat ever built..The saloon and double berths (2) were all quite large for boats of this vintage but the many doors, windows, and things like folding stairs led to many leaks if one did not maintain the boat well each year. An unusual mistake was to leave out any form of separate shower stall as they are both in the head. This boat had a hull and engine placement that was fairly slow very fuel thirsty and was known as a high fuel user with gas or diesel as the diesel choices were limited - 400 gal fuel tanks limited to range.”

Also ➥ http://cdn.denisonyachtsales.com/boa...0%20Bodega.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 11:05   #5

Thanks so much for the input. We're having the survey done next week with eyes wide open. We'll see....
Old 08-09-2016, 11:15   #6

Just signed on the 40' Bayliner Bodega. We feel we bargained well and that this will fit our needs nicely. On with the adventure...

Tags
buying, liveaboard