Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 13:12   #1

Boat: Trojan, F32, 32
Considering a 32' Grand Banks Woodie

Hi Forum:

Stop me if you've heard this before - I'm 39, recently separated, think I'm pretty handy and love the water. Please talk me down.

So, here's the deal, when I left house and home, I went to my 21.5' Cuddy Cabin for a month. I loved it. There were many challenges, but my cuddy's been in a marina for 5 years for a reason and I love life in the harbor. I'm not that attached to many things, except my dog, bird, clothes and tools. I don't plan to do this forever; I have a plan for next year (jan 14), but right now I really want to be in the marina. I live in Hampton Roads, Va. I'm an electrical engineer and have an enlisted propulsion background from USN.

Next piece of info: I've wanted a bigger boat, ideally a cruiser for about 2.5 years. So, as I've been evaluating my options, I've looked for a boat I would buy if I wasn't planning to live aboard, again thinking this is temporaray. I want(ed) a boat that I could recreattionally fish, spend a lot of time aboard, enjoy complete access to the water and not feel intimidated about driving.

I've looked through a few and again, it's just me, my small parrot and maybe my golden retriever. I started off with a 2004 Amberjack 290 that I liked. The deal fell apart because of the owners and I moved on. I also hated the fuel economy. Then, the live aboard aspect didn't work for that boat at all.

So, I looked at a few "practical" options, notably a 31' Trojan and a couple of other typical small-ish live aboard. That's when it happened - I fell in love with a high maintenance woman.

She's a 1967 32' woodie Grand Banks. The romantic sailor loves everything about this boat. I think it's within my capabilities to pilot, lots of great space, fuel sipping economy. She has lots of surface cosmetic neglect, but the engine and bones look great. All the surfaces actually seem solid, in good shape and just need to be either sanded, painted, or shined. All seemingly within my capability. It has this great allure, absolutely stunningly beautiful and I seem to have an abudance of spare time on my hands at this stage of my life.

I have an offer in. I've gone to sea trial. I've found one of the toughtest marine surveyor's in the area and am a check away from contracting him to go look next week. If I pull the trigger, I'm about 2 weeks from purchase. The sea trial just impressed the hell out of me. I have a couple of specific concerns with the boat, that are outside of my expertise, but the marine surveyor and a local woodie restorer listened to my concerns, intelligently asked questions and seemed to think I still had a solid boat.

So, this is my first post on this forum. I know how these go on lots of other forums. Please ask me tough questions and please help me hear more doubt.

I really, really love this boat. I really want to shine her up to her original glory and spend a quality year living aboard her. Then, I don't know what I'll do. There is no local place to shelter her for the winter. She'll need to stay in the water. Beyond my year of solitude, I'll still be able to care for her, lovingly, but again, at this point, I don't think I'll live on her forever.

Let me say one more time, I really, really love this boat.
BigRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 14:38   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Considering a 32' Grand Banks Woodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRalph View Post

She's a 1967 32' woodie Grand Banks. The romantic sailor loves everything about this boat. I think it's within my capabilities to pilot, lots of great space, fuel sipping economy. She has lots of surface cosmetic neglect, but the engine and bones look great. All the surfaces actually seem solid, in good shape and just need to be either sanded, painted, or shined. All seemingly within my capability. It has this great allure, absolutely stunningly beautiful and I seem to have an abudance of spare time on my hands at this stage of my life.

I have an offer in. I've gone to sea trial. I've found one of the toughtest marine surveyor's in the area and am a check away from contracting him to go look next week. If I pull the trigger, I'm about 2 weeks from purchase. The sea trial just impressed the hell out of me. I have a couple of specific concerns with the boat, that are outside of my expertise, but the marine surveyor and a local woodie restorer listened to my concerns, intelligently asked questions and seemed to think I still had a solid boat.

The boat style seems to fit your dream pretty well, but there are newer -- fiberglass -- versions of the same boat that would probably be less work overall.

Paint sometimes doesn't do much for you, as when hull planks actually need refastened or even replaced. Or when the deck's leaking all over your berth, and complete recaulking is necessary....

Maintenance on the fiberglass versions will only take up around 80% of your time

-Chris
Old 20-02-2013, 15:09   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Welcome to the forum.

That 32 GB woodie is a GREAT boat. A classic trawler. Much more sexy than that Trojan.

Life is too short not to be in love with your boat.
Old 20-02-2013, 15:17   #4

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

You seem to have your ducks in a row. Go with the surveyors advice...LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 15:28   #5

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Great if you don't mind always working on it (wood). Somebody posted just recently here in the forums two 32's or 34's, one was a Grand Banks. Both were under $30K
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:36   #6

Boat: Trojan, F32, 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Great if you don't mind always working on it (wood). Somebody posted just recently here in the forums two 32's or 34's, one was a Grand Banks. Both were under $30K
The first cost is really attractive. $22,500. However, I'm well aware that's a bargain price and I may have a lot of expenses coming my way. Always working on it now-ok. future-not sure. I also read that they should be kept in covered storage and that isn't practical at all here.
BigRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:12   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Welcome to CF - your plan sounds as good (or as barmy!) as any other! and sounds like you are getting good advice already.

The only thing I would add is that it is not usually the difficulty in the tasks that need doing if the boat needs some TLC (that phrase can cover a lot!) - it's the volume that catches yer out. All those 5 minutes (aka 1 week!) jobs do add up........

.......but kicking off with a boat that a) works and floats! and b) that yer love are good starting points. No guarantee of a happy relationship, but good starts nonetheless!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRalph View Post
The first cost is really attractive. $22,500. However, I'm well aware that's a bargain price and I may have a lot of expenses coming my way. Always working on it now-ok. future-not sure. I also read that they should be kept in covered storage and that isn't practical at all here.
Never buy a fixer-upper that when done, is not the exact boat of your dreams... WHY?... because you will likely spend more hours then expected, and by the time you're done, you will likely not have the energy to do another boat that is your life long dream boat.

Second, you will not make any money on the resale after expenses, to apply to the boat of your dreams.

Any boat will more then benefit from being under covered moorage, and the money you spend extra for covered will pay back in less annual/restoration maintenance, annually and over the lifetime of ownership.

Any 32 foot Grand Banks that hasn't spent the majority in a covered mooring, will have huge alligators lurking. Couple this with the mentality of most of the owners starting after the original purchaser being very frugal. Deferred Maintenance will be everywhere, covered by cosmetic upgrades.

On top of that they are slow as slugs for cruising, most sailboats will be faster.

Now if you're in love with the Idea of a Classic Wooden Cruiser, then go real Classic. As in Classic Yacht, pre-war is better, but there are some fine post war Classic Yachts that are just as good.

The thing about a real Classic is most that are left have been loved and adorned by an owner who is willing to throw more money at them then they will bring in re-sale value. It's a sickness.

But if you find the right situation, where the owner has been a Good Steward. They will have spent 5 times what they are selling the boat for.

No matter what wooden boat you're looking at, choose one that has spent it's life in a covered mooring.

A Classic Wooden Boat Guy.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 18:25   #9

There are sooooo many things that turn into gotcha's in wood boats. For example, just consider the fasteners. What are your plans if it turns out that the fasteners are almost rotted through? Now that 22K is no longer going to be inexpensive.

When I was a teenager considering purchasing a car I could barely afford, I thought, geez, it only needs some work. True! Then I came to realize that beyond work, it needed bucks, many of them. It was not just sweat, it alson needed expensive parts.

Maybe if you made an offer to the seller that you would do him a favor by telling him you would not charge him anything to take over ownership......... just maybe your losses could be minimized.
Old 20-02-2013, 18:29   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
There are sooooo many things that turn into gotcha's in wood boats.
The boat was surveyed, folks. And the OP seems to be going into this with eyes wide open.
Old 20-02-2013, 18:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Take this boat for example Kaydee II I have known this boat over 15 years. I know the owner that original restored her he spent near 300k.

Sold her to friends of mine for 130k, 1 year post restoration.

2.5 Years they sold her for 25 k, and spent about 30k on annual maintenance. It wasn't the boat of their dreams. It went for 25k.

4 weeks later it went on ebay for 50 k.

Today is the first I have heard of her since 4 years ago, now they are asking 115k after she was moved to the eastcoast.

She was Bristol when she sold for 25k.

Lloyd
Old 20-02-2013, 18:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The boat was surveyed, folks. And the OP seems to be going into this with eyes wide open.

OOHHhhhh, that makes it a good boat????? Did the surveyor remove and examine any of the fasteners??? If this is a double layer of wood and most likely it is, how about the fasteners in the first layer?

Hey--- its the guys money and my moeny learned to talk. Unfortunatly the only word it learned was "GOODBYE!"

Wood boats are a burden, owners anxious to just get rid of them.

Consider the 48' 1973 where the owner is pleading for 25K

Grand Banks Boats For Sale

And there is a 32 in the list for under 20K

Good luck---

Foggy
Old 20-02-2013, 18:48   #13
Marine Service Provider

Here is another one, one of my friends purchased her for 200k, then spent 450k, sold her for just shy of 500k.

Then purchased this one for 130k spent 500k and now for sale for 415K. This boat is the Name Sake for Sea Dog Marine, as in the Marine Chandler.

Both were professionally Restored to Bristol Condition including new bottoms.

Lloyd
Old 20-02-2013, 18:52   #14

Hey, the OP asked to be "talked down", I expressed my opinionated thoughts. It is his money. I strongly believe he will rue the day he purchased later.
Old 20-02-2013, 19:26   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Get a survey done with the boat out of the water.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote