Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-08-2013, 11:41   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Compost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'll agree they aren't perfect but definetly a good alternative to carrying a couple dozen gallons of putrifying waste.
That may be true. If one sails in such a way/place that they must carry dozens of gallons of putrifying waste, a composting head may be a better alternative. That is why I chose one when I did shorter cruises on fresh water with a boat that had limited space and limited weight carrying capacity. (Shorter cruises also meant the compost bin never filled prior to the end of the cruise, necessitating that the disposal of non-composted waste)

However, the cruising I've done on my last two gravity-fed holding tank systems did not require me to hold dozens of gallons of putrifying waste, but allowed me to empty a much smaller tank with the simple turn of a valve, a process I much preferred to emptying my full but only partially composted, composting toilet bin by hand.

As I said originally, the intended use and other factors may dictate which is the better option. I feel composting heads have their place, but if they were the clear and obvious best choice for all situations, most cruisers wouldn't still choose traditional marine head systems. Composting heads have their negatives which depending on the situation and individual involved may or may not outweigh the positives.

(All I'm doing is pointing out some of the negatives I've experienced for consideration. I can't say if those negatives are worth it or not for anyone else other than myself)

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Though we are all obliged to follow the laws where we are located, it's important to fully understand the composition of urine if we plan to store it and move it about. Urine is typically sterile and composed of 95% water. 2% is Urea, composed from a combination of carbon-dioxide & ammonia, while the remaining 3% is composed of mineral salts with the common positive ions being potassium, sodium, calcium & magnesium with the common negative ions as chloride, phosphate & sulphate. This composition of urine is closer to the natural composition of seawater (3.5% salts) than distilled water and less harmfull to the environment than most deck and hull cleaners. Take care to be legal, but keep a greater concern for other more hazardous materials.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:30   #18

Hey Boatman61: If the EU mandated no discharge from boats and stopped dumping its waste into the Med maybe some of the tourist beaches in the Med would be safe to swim in. We will be in your area at the end of next summer. Let's meet and have a pissing contest and of course the other end is only optional.
Old 02-08-2013, 13:11   #19
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
Hey Boatman61: If the EU mandated no discharge from boats and stopped dumping its waste into the Med maybe some of the tourist beaches in the Med would be safe to swim in. We will be in your area at the end of next summer. Let's meet and have a pissing contest and of course the other end is only optional.
A little bit of E-coli never did anyone too much harm

Dave
Old 02-08-2013, 18:14   #20

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Compost?

Really appreciate the thinking Nautical62.

I'm on overwhelm with all the decisions that need to be made.

Everything about my current head is top notch. I'm in a marina for the next 30 days at least so there's no urgency and my "composter" is usable.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:09   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaping Croc.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	65097

I've given up pissing over the side around here.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02   #22

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Compost?

Geez. Who knew they could jump?
Old 05-08-2013, 15:51   #23

Boat: Allmand 31

I put an Airhead composting head in my boat. <Yes, I did it myself>. It's the single best improvement aboard the Glass Slipper. I only wish I had done it before I wasted money on two other regular heads, new hoses, etc.

I'm pretty sure no one carries their liquid waste to shore.....

Mary
s/v Glass Slipper
Voyage of the Glass Slipper - About
Old 05-08-2013, 18:13   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

The tourist boat operators have been bating them up out of the water for years to show the tourists and this is where it has come to. It resulted in a near tragedy years ago when a guy fishing had his straw hat taken off his head. Luckily he was bending away from the side of the boat to take a bait out of a bucket and it missed his head. Since they banned hunting they are now everywhere but people seem to get along with them and there are very few incidents. I'm still not pissing over the side around here though.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:04   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The tourist boat operators have been bating them up out of the water for years to show the tourists and this is where it has come to. ....................
If I remember right, you're in Australia. It's illegal to feed any crocodilians in Florida and Texas. Tour boat operators would be quick out of business with that behavior here; although, I've seen restaurant patrons and waiters throw scraps to gators in South Carolina. It just doesn't seem right to condition the alligators to associate people with food.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:45   #26

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

This whole container thing is interesting. One would presume that if one had a catamaran and an enclosed head in the cockpit - it would then be perfectly legal to pee into the water as no container is involved. This means that the ladies could modestly use the provided facility as well. The waste would drop directly through a large diameter hole with no reason be held or get clogged. Further, if one uses a small watering can without the sprinkle attachment, cleanup can be done with free salt water and no tissue will be involved - not to buy, not to store, not to dispose of. It just seems like that it is a matter of how much expensive plumbing waste must traverse before it ends up in the ocean anyway - and how much one wants to pay for not offending sensibilities. Just a thought from the third world where things are often a bit more basic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: