Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-05-2013, 18:35   #1
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Commuter cruising logistics

This is not a perfect fit for liveaboards but you all must have great problem solving skills or you would be back on land.

My wife and I are about to head out from the west shore of Lake Michigan heading up through the North Channel, Trent Severn canal system, Erie canal and down the Hudson eventually to the Bahamas.

We plan on cruising just 3 to 4 weeks a year taking our time. We plan on leaving the boat on the hard and returning home after each sail. My questions are about what to leave on the boat and what to take home, store , ship or other..

I'm thinking of a canvas cover but don't know if that would work as we get further south.

Many of you must have had the need to leave the boat for extended periods. How did you do it? and how did it work?

We have a shoal draft Oday 39. Just refurbished, simple (charter rigging) don't need to insure it for more than liability.

Old 27-05-2013, 18:40   #2
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Commuter cruising logistics

clothes get moldy/smelly so don't leave those onboard for 48 weeks.

Old 27-05-2013, 18:46   #3
tsl

Yes, clothes are going home.
Don't laugh (too hard) but we thought that these may work for bedding.Amazon.com: 12 PACK Space Saver Vacuum Storage Bags 4 Medium size + 4 Large size + 4 Travel Bags: Home & Kitchen
Old 27-05-2013, 18:54   #4
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

The one we've used leak vac but still keep air moist air out.
Old 27-05-2013, 19:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Honestly it sounds like a rough schedule. Hard for me to believe that any boat will be ready to get going after being left untouched for a year's time. At least in my world I'd spend a week getting everything ready going through systems and prepping for underway, then I'd spend another week getting it all secured again.
Old 27-05-2013, 20:33   #6
tsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Honestly it sounds like a rough schedule. Hard for me to believe that any boat will be ready to get going after being left untouched for a year's time. At least in my world I'd spend a week getting everything ready going through systems and prepping for underway, then I'd spend another week getting it all secured again.
Yes, It sure will have it's challenges. But the boat will spend little time in the water. How much clean-up and how much post sail work is the unknown.

I have some advantages, I will not have any slip fee's. Just outdoor storage. and travel lift fees. I'm accustom to winterizing engines each year and freeze proofing tanks. That's not a day's work.

The boat was in the water for a month last year and the bottom paint looks the same as the day I painted it. I'm up north, a shrink wrapped boat needs little work after a winter. Different story further south.
Old 27-05-2013, 20:56   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The one thing Ive found out over the years is it take us a heck of a lot longer to get to sea when we are even in a marina! let alone stored ashore! When we anchor things stay pretty much in there proper places, but when ya go to a dock or a mooring things get moved around and it seems to take forever to get things squared away ! LOL don't know why but it works that way for us ! It would probley take me a week or three to get a stored ashore boat ready to get going ! But then Im Old and you could you mite well do it in a lot shorter time then I could ! Just sayin it seems like a lot of work for a short time sailing ??
Old 27-05-2013, 21:07   #8

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
We have a six month marina season here (South Dakota) and so our boats spend six months of each year on jack stands and timbers in the boat yard. It takes me at least two weeks, sometimes a month to get everything working again after winter layup. Windlass was dead - marina neglected to reconnect the cables to the battery. Windshield shattered in January - have no idea how or why, but I made a temp of plywood and in the spring we replaced it - you can imagine the cost of a 57 x 36 piece of tempered glass in a parallelogram. The horns get clogged with spiderwebs, don't work. The spotlight lamp has to be replaced. Snow melted through the vent fan in the bow hatch, dumb place for a solar fan, have to replace that hatch. Leaves clogged the drain line for the salon entryway, needs to be cleared. In other words, winter layup is brutal on boats, you might be underestimating the recommissioning work each time.

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: