Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2010, 09:24   #16

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
In my boat, the V-berth forward and little used now, except as a work shop and extra storage. There are two double berths, one to port and one to starboard just forward of the saloon, but aft of the V-berth, shower/lavatory and head. The doubles are therefore just slightly forward of the beam, but not so far that they are much subject to wave slapping like the V-berth was. I generally use one as my sleeping quarters in harbour, but at sea I use one of the two settee berths in the saloon as it is closer to the nav station and the aft cockpit. The settee berths are actually a bit more comfortable at sea anyway, if somewhat lacking in privacy.
Old 21-09-2010, 09:32   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
One of the reasons we prefer the forward stateroom is that we like the increased movement. I suppose that comes after living aboard for ten years.

I don't usually sleep with an anchor alarm, but when I'm in the forward cabin I'm able to hear the chain move when the tide turns. If I hear a lot of movement, I get up and check to make certain we are where we want to be.

We slept in an aft cabin for eight years, and only had trouble with transom slap a dozen or so times. However, the ventilation in a forward cabin is superior.
Old 21-09-2010, 13:16   #18

On anchor, in the bow. Under way, midships or stern.
Old 21-09-2010, 13:30   #19

Stopped, in the bow. Under way, quarter berth. Our daughter has the prized sea berth amidships now. It's easily the best place to sleep and has the least motion.

One thing about the aft cabins is that you can often hear winches, rudder movement, and feet scampering around. And if the engine is on a somewhat restless sleep at best. Heaven forbid someone drops a winch handle in the cockpit. It sounds like a hammer blow in the overhead.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote