Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-11-2015, 02:12   #106

Re: comfort index

Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Enjoy ur search and by all means sail the boat before u buy.
absolutely, that's the major part of the research. Every boat feels different in water then it does on paper, somebody once said to me. The information here in the forum is very helpful, because so many questions have been asked, and answered before.

There is no excuse for lack of preparation. Be it if you go out sailing, or buy a boat. Gotta use all information which is readily available.

And if you really get a good survey of the boat you buy, then you can make a very good guess on what kind of investments and work hours lay ahead so all this buying price * 2 is not really based on the information available. If I know that my sails are good for maybe another three years and that a set of sails and rigging gonna cost me 20k, then I know that. But if the sail and rigging are good,t hen I don't have to plan for that short term. But I think its also important to start at a high level. It may become hard to imagine and project the deferred maintenance cost if there is too many items. That's why I am planing to budget 30-35k, but want something which will be easy to be kept at a high standard.
I know this from aircraft, age, and a couple of owners and usage and storage conditions, each missing out on a bit of upkeep, its always very hard and expensive to get back. It will not be different with boats either. and in the budget class I am looking, we are looking at 70's/early eighties. Lots can happen to boats in that time. Each will need a separate assessment but it helps to get a generic picture. And of course with those boats we are looking at being 40 years old, sure lots has happened to build reputations.

Its always gonna be a compromise if you need to balance a budget, live-aboard space and equipment, seaworthiness, stability(at anchor too). I am aware of that.
I learned to sail with Dinghies back in the 70s and so when I was on my first 40 ft I recognized after the first hour, that this is way too big for me to single hand, mainly rigging and imagining emergencies. So I modified my dream. Then the 23 ft was fun to sail, but of course no way you could live in it. 26 ft was too tight too. I'll check out more boats as they become available to me. Every different boat you are on you see different details on how they are set up, how they work, lots of gadgets too ;-).

I don't want to sail around the world, yet ;-). If I ever want to do that, then I plan for it then and buy the right boat for it too. But I really want the boat I buy to be fun to sail too and be able to sail our at times very rough coastal water. Single handed fun ! Getting my skills back and sharpened and then we see. There is great sailing here where I live. I'll venture further and faster when I feel doing so.

Novelistus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 03:31   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Comfort Index

(Belated) Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Novelistus.

Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: