Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-11-2011, 11:25   #31

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Re: Comfort at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
My Wife and I are working on narrowing down our selection criteria for a liveaboard cruising boat. We have not done any extended cruising yet. When spending a few nights at a time sleeping onboard smaller boats the accomodations have been tollerable. For longer term stays we want to make certain that we are comfortable. At home we have a nice quality pillow top king size mattress. Spending more than a few nights sleeping in lesser beds we sure do miss it.

I have been on board a few 40+ ft Hunters that fit the bill but fail in the area of being a safe boat for longer passages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
Yes I have 3 observations / suggestions

1. Read as many older threads here about different configurations and different styles and brands of boats.
2. When you've done that and you want to start talking about brands of boats, discard the opinions that seem to be biased on the subject to the point where they blind to a particular brands faults (often owners trying to justify their purchase).
3. When you've done that discard the comments from people who seem to be biased against a product usually without factual recent or evidence. When you've done that What you're left with is a "middle ground range of opinions" that is more helpful for making decisions.

However, I'll save you the trouble, if I've taken my own advice and done steps 1-3, here's my (totally balanced) conclusion about Hunters.
1. The early models seem to have a poor reutation for build quality
2. If you earn (& deserve) a poor reputation it sticks for a long time after you've fixed the problem.
3. The later models would make some of the nicest boats to live on in a marina or at anchor in their respective size ranges. (your original question) Roomy saloons and comfortable sleeping accommodations are at the top of their list.
4. Many of us on this forum have doubts about the longevity of the B & R rig but can't support our uneasiness with factual evidence of high failure rates although it does have some limitations for downwind sailing.

My conclusion about their suitablilty for open ocean sailing on the later models is that the nice open saloons (common to many production boats these days) have insufficient handholds to get around the inside of the boat safely in a seaway. The huge centreline beds in the aft cabin are perfect. The low AVS on most models concerns me for offshore work.

How did I solve these issues before signing for a new boat (42' centre cockpit semi-custom)?

I chose the boats with the sea keeping ability I wanted and once I'd narrowed it down, I let my wife make the decisions about those things that related to livability. The result is that our new boat which is nearing completion will be the one I'm happy to sail across oceans with the highest possible "wife acceptance rating" - don't underestimate the importance of this number.

Greg

Old 06-11-2011, 18:23   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
SAIL EVERYTHING before you buy ANYTHING..... get to know many different styles and makes of boats before dumping money into one particular kind of boat-- you never know what it is you may LIKE about a particular boat--and once you buy--in this market, is not easy to sell for a different kind of boat.
Really not sure how anyone would ever accomplish this??? The normal procedure is to agree on price and schedule survey and sea trial after that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 13:45   #33

Boat: in between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Really not sure how anyone would ever accomplish this??? The normal procedure is to agree on price and schedule survey and sea trial after that.
I must agree here. Even if you can sail many boats, can you sail many boats in many conditions? How are you going to be able to spend several days at anchor in rolly, windy conditions? There is a myriad of characteristics that a pleasant afternoon sail will not address.
I can not agree with Zee more on this one, however, logistically is very difficult. If you have a few thousand to spend to answer the question of which boat best suits me, start following the sailing blogs, many with blogs will gladly sail with you on a passage. Contribution to the expense of said trip with a little extra to add to the future cruising kitty and future maintenance expenditures is all that is usually asked. Add to that money you will spend at different ports and air fare to and from embarcation and debarcation.
With the current market the way it is, you may be able to buy so low, that a minimal loss with a quick sale is possible, if you find you made a gross error in judgement. That may very well be wishful thinking, reality being, no matter how good the deal may be, you may very well be stuck with the boat you buy and all it's expenses for a very long time. Be wise out there. Do lotsa due diligence.
Luv reading your posts Zee, seldom do I disagree, and then ever so slightly. Still in lovely Mazatlan? Safe passages to you and all who are actually doing what we soon hope to do.
Larry
Old 09-11-2011, 13:55   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
My Wife and I are working on narrowing down our selection criteria for a liveaboard cruising boat. We have not done any extended cruising yet. When spending a few nights at a time sleeping onboard smaller boats the accomodations have been tollerable. For longer term stays we want to make certain that we are comfortable. At home we have a nice quality pillow top king size mattress. Spending more than a few nights sleeping in lesser beds we sure do miss it.

Looking forward to the kind of sailing we expect to do I expect that we will likely be spending at least 8-10 nights at anchor or in marinas for every night spent on passages. We would like to focus our boat search to those that have accomodations that will fit a large enough bed for our comfort.

I have been on board a few 40+ ft Hunters that fit the bill but fail in the area of being a safe boat for longer passages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
Abandon the idea of a large bed
This is a wonderful opportunity to live again those years when your admiral and yourself were happier when the bed was small....
That's one of the pleasure of cruising and believe me a lot of deck /anchoring/sailing problems are better solved on a small V-berth than in a large king size bed
Old 09-11-2011, 13:56   #35
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Comfort at anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
As a general category of monohulls with large berths you should look at center cockpit designs. With the cockpit in the center of the boat the designer can fit a full width cabin aft. I don't think you see them much less than 40', but there might be some. I was always an aft cockpit guy (there are some religious battles over this question) but once had a CC on a bareboat charter. Loved the space in the aft cabin and now own a CC.

There are plenty of services that will make you a custom mattress of your size and dreams, but I have never used them.

Good luck,

JR

I have a friend that has a 37' center cockpit Irwin. However, it is an older boat. Irwins haven't been made for some time and any you find might need more reworking than you want. This guy's boat is definitely a work in progress.
Old 09-11-2011, 13:58   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
We were in a race between Galveston and Pensacola. 1996 I think. Fleet was caught by a surprise Gulf hurricane. We ran for Tiger Pass (on the advise of a local shrimper) along with a Hunter 42. Running with 14' seas. Got into marina at Venise, LA. We are heating up my wife's lasagna and opening red wine. the guys on the Hunter are pulling everything off the boat, gear, cushions, because it oil caned and leaked like a sieve. They are nice boats but I'll take my Vagabond in a storm.

My hunter does not leak at all except for one port that needs to be replaced. People who think Hunters are leaky should look at how the hull and deck are joined.
Old 09-11-2011, 14:03   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Any chance we can call a truce on the Hunter question - it predictably won't conclude anything, and won't get any better - and actually get back to the original question?

Steve asked about a Pearson 419 - any comments on that?

But it IS part of the question. The OP brought up Hunters, and I think the comments were quite useful.

I saw a Cherubini (1983, 33 ft) that leaked quite badly around the chain plates.

Mine (a 1983 31' but not a Cherubini) doesn't at all. Whether a boat will leak in a storm is a serious comfort issue.
Old 09-11-2011, 14:04   #38
cruiser

Quote:
You're right, I shouldn't have said "back to original question" but instead said "back to the unaddressed question (in post #7)." I won't apologize for trying to be a peacemaker and get a thread off an emotional slippery slope and back on topic. This thread did turn around, I hope we can keep it there.

JR

While I appreciate your desire for "peace," I have a Hunter and need to hear everyone's viewpoints. I learn from it.
Old 09-11-2011, 14:15   #39

There are as many opinions as there are boat owners... After years of giving presentations on cruising after years of offshore sailing (including Antarctica) I've realized that the only ideal boat out there is the one you're the most comfortable with. Nothing can substitute for hands on experience. We scaled down in size from 49' to 12 meters (39') after years offshore. Both boats metal (aluminum then steel). Happy with both, but also happy with the 34' Crealock that we started with. Personally, I'm not keen on Hunters or Beneteau, but that's personal. Both manufacturers have produced great boats, but I doubt I'd ever own one myself...
Old 09-11-2011, 14:23   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Love to!

Unfortunately I am fresh out of rich uncles

I did see a Prout Snowgoose 37 that may have potential. Not quite sure if it is quite big enough though.
A friend has one of these and they are very comfortable boats. If I were in the market I would be looking to buy one.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 14:51   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

A large bed is important if you are going to live on the boat for any period of time.
When at anchor even a slight roll (which is wonderful for rocking you off to sleep) means you tend to spread your arms and /or legs out to stabilize your body. This means that you need a larger bed than in a house, and many boat berths fall woefully short of this criteria.
You can still get this on many smaller boats. On a 25 foot yacht I owned I managed to enlarge the bed by leaving out the toilet. The bed is used 8 hours a day, sometimes more, the toilet, hopefully, considerably less.
Old 09-11-2011, 15:08   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

larryb--still in mazatlan, yes-- getting repairs done now is cool enough to work sans sweating to death--lol is very pretty here--even summer was good-- i understand san diego didnt have simmer AGAIN-makes 4 yrs in a row. will be leaving this winter for more southerly destinations.....

by chartering and sailing with friends, one is able to get an idea of the styles of boat they prefer and those which do not work for them. every one has an individuality in sailing-- must pick boat to suit you.
this market is not conducive to turning boats over-- if you dont like one it wont sell fast. do what you are able to do to sail as many as possible BEFORE laying out many thousands of dollars for something you decide later sukks so bad you cannot make lemonade out of the lemons. yes there are boats like that. what is good for me may suck for thee......ye never know--sometimes until tooo late.
if you like th look of a catahuntebenelina, go charter one to see if you like the handling part of it. if you like a garden ketch, find someone with one and sail with em a while to see if you can endure it's quirks. isnt that hard to do -- may just save ye a lot of dough and time wasted.
if you like catamarans-- try em-- charter!!!! so may ways to check out your choices BEFORE you buy.
smooth sailing and have fun!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 15:40   #43

Thanks to everyone who has offered constructive advice. There have been so many responses that I cannot reply to each individually. Let me see if I can hit the high points.

- I have spent enough time living in smaller quarters to recognize that when it comes to allocating space for various functions a large comfortable bed is very important to me. Seven years full time in my RV I wound up with a bed that left almost no room to move around it. Not that much different in my current home. Maybe I am a bit of a freak but for me a comfortable home can't exist without a big comfy bed.

- I didn't intend to start a brand based argument. I had simply heard many less than positive comments regarding quality & safety regarding one manufacturer. Sorry....

- I agree with the posters that suggested "sail everything" as much as I practically can. I have spent as much time as life has permitted on the water. Unfortunately not as much recently as my work has landed us 300 miles from the coast. With few exception I have not sailed anything yet that I would find suitable for liveaboard. I have to confess to a bit of "oldstimer" as well. One boat we chartered several years ago had a wonderful layout and I would love to look at it again. Dang me ! I can't remember who built it

- It does sound like a number of center cockpit designs have alot going for them as far as creature comforts both at anchor and under way. Any additional comments regarding the merits of particular boats would be most welcome.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 10-11-2011, 17:22   #44

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
good question, mine is comfortable during the trip and even more so once I get to my anchorage
I have to agree with the above as I spent a night on his boat. Slept like a baby after a good dinner
Old 10-11-2011, 18:55   #45
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
- I didn't intend to start a brand based argument. I had simply heard many less than positive comments regarding quality & safety regarding one manufacturer. Sorry....
I'm having a hard time believing this. You start a conversation by shagging a particular brand, and then claim that you didn't intend to start a brand-based argument. That's a bit disingenuous...

...and then we find out that you live far from the coast and don't actually have the time to sail.

Uh huh.

How's the comfort level at this point?

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: