Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 14:38   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Cockpit pleasant light ....

Whao all the hurricane lamp hate! To come to it's defence, a hurricane lamp gives off little more heat than a candle. Use a good quality lamp like a German Feurhand - not a Chineses cheapie - and suspend it from somewhere above the cockpit on an elastic strap (I actually hang mine off my backstay). I use the Feurhand 276 Baby on my boat which is not a full sized lamp and most times we'll fire it up in the cockpit at night because it's just so darn cosy.

The next bext thing to simulate the light would be a small, say 6 or 12 inch "warm" LED strip wrapped around a former - say a small piece of conduit. For a project this could be installed into a hurricane lamp body for similar effect.

IMO LED light as a rule is just too darn bluish which for some reason known only to our genes is not as ambient as yellow / orange tinged light. That's why "warm" LED lights are really the only way to go, although they tend to be more inefficient which is probably why they aren't common in battery operated lamps.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:53   #17

One plus to t he hurricane lanp is the fuel fumes might keep the mosquitos away! I love those lamps but got tired of dealing with the fuel etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 15:21   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

We have some warm white LED light strips in our cockpit, along the backrests. It's very festive and cheerful in the evening, but it's not very good for eating by -- and we like to eat dinner out in our cockpit. Somehow the light source is too low down to illuminate your plate or the interior of a pot. Or your own shadow blocks light where it's needed most.

So this year I bought a 12V 10A warm white garden light, waterproof, and wired it to a 12V plug on a 10-foot wire. I affixed a velcro strap to the lamp itself so in the evenings we can strap it up high on our mizzenmast, and it will shine down from above.

Here's a picture of the floodlight. It casts a very good light. Time will tell how it will stand up to saltwater environment, but they're cheap enough (about $15) that you can replace as needed.

Also, here's a link to a current EBay sale for one. If this link has expired, search EBay for "12V warm white LED outdoor garden floodlight" or similar.

Outdoor 12V 10W Warm White Waterproof LED Garden Light Floodlight Lamp Flat Lens | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12V_10A_warm_LED_floodlight.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	59110  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 17:50   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Just to be clear, that's a ten WATT light, not ten AMP.
The difference is the ten watt light draws less than one amp, whereas a lamp that draws ten amps would be a 120 watt unit.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:10   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Yes -- sorry -- typing too fast . . . while thinking about amps. Thanks!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
IMO LED light as a rule is just too darn bluish which for some reason known only to our genes is not as ambient as yellow / orange tinged light. That's why "warm" LED lights are really the only way to go, although they tend to be more inefficient which is probably why they aren't common in battery operated lamps.

+1,000

Not sure it's efficiency, since no matter what the "color" they are tremendously more "efficient" than anything else. Other than the sun.

I am amazed that after all these years (and LED posts) people haven't figured out the difference between "warn white" cool (cold?) white and anything else. Geez...

OK, I'll quit now...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 14:59   #22

I really like the hurricane lamp, but is to difficult to handle store the fuel ?....what kind of fuel?. Is it dangerous ?

I have been using a gas powered lamp like the ones for camping, can be regulated from a similar 100 wats to almost nothing , they are nice but noisy.....

I just found this Mini Hozuki - backpacking lights - lighting, that they look very nice and convenient .....as support....
I think I will try the hurricane.....
4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 15:06   #23

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Check out the Bebi website for their LEDs. We use one of their cockpit lights, soft yellow downwards for us and bright white outwards as an anchor light.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 20:38   #24
byo

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyessy 43 Deck Saloon

Hi there, I use 4 solar powered LED lights in the cockpit, the light is white as opposed to yellow but not harsh, they will give light for around 5 hours without needing to be recharged, they have quite a large light area. I paid $12-00 each from a local hardwre store.
Cheers.
byo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 05:02   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, byo.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 05:09   #26

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Haven't tried one, but how about a LED hurricane lamp?
Old 21-04-2013, 06:29   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
... I am amazed that after all these years (and LED posts) people haven't figured out the difference between "warn white" cool (cold?) white ...
Colour temperature is a description of the warmth (yellow) or coolness (blue) of an incandescent light source, measured in degrees Kelvin. Light sources that are not incandescent radiators have what is referred to as a "Correlated Colour Temperature" (CCT).

Counterintuitively, higher Kelvin temperatures are cooler and lower temperatures are warmer.

Colour Rendering Index (CRI) is a measurement of a light source’s accuracy in rendering different colours when compared to a reference light source with the same correlated colour temperature. The closer a light source is to a score of 100, the better its colour rendering.

Color Temperature & Color Rendering Index DeMystified

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:34   #28

Boat: Beneteau First 38

As posted earlier check Bebi Electronics
18 LED Waterproof Area and Anchor Light Bulb Assembly for Marine RV and Off-Grid 12 Volt use

We use the Beka with photo eye built in. Warm white version

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 08:12   #29

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

An alternative which is very user variable in terms of brightness and produces a balanced dispersion throughout the cockpit can easily be achieved using simply string lights wound around the awning and or dodger bows. They come in either 12v or 120v arrays, are cheap, can be wound tightly or loosely to vary the intensity and serve to illuminate abroad area.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 08:44   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i absolutely love the light from my perko anchor light which i hang from mizzen in cockpit--i use citronella oil and i use citronella with cedar oil--when i can find that stuff....when there isnt oil to use in the oil lamps, i found some awesome lil white and they have colorful pod lights for special low rider cars---lol..these pod lights are found in auto zone in mexico--perfect for use as a cockpit light for anchoring...there is a lil push button switch for on and off--they come in green , red, blue and white colors--i got green and red for emergency nav lights,, and i have white for indoor use--as they have power switches, they can be turned off or on and as they are led they use so little power i am having them wired into my electrical system. some will be in the engine room, always on, in forepeak, always on, in my bedroom, shower, toilet, huge aft lazarette, under my bed in the space there, on always, and some other hard to light places. in my cabinets with doors, i will leave the lights on all day and night--not a problem, as they are low level led usage. quite bright and hardly any electricity...gotta love this stuff. as long as these come with on and off button they rock....

thinking of placing a light under my mizzen boom, on the boom, aimed at the binnacle, only for use at anchor--i think that idea is worthy of action....LOL.mebbe place indirect lighting in my cockpit well--lil rope lights, all led, so folks visiting me can have ambiance while at anchor..

btw--much of the oil used err, sold for iol lamps is scented mineral oil---i place container in a ziplock baggie and store in my chemicals closet. along with my epoxy, my paint, my wd40 and pb blaster, etc....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit