Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 09:44   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Clothing, Sea of Cortez

I am packing my clothing and I am at a loss for what to keep.
In Colorado we dress for 4 seasons, often times all 4 seasons in one day!

Our plan is 1 to 2 years in the Sea of Cortez. That sounds so warm, but I know from a year in Tuscon "warmth" is relative to what you are used to. But it has been a while...

So, the question is, what do I keep? Jeans or just buy some quick dry pants?

Of course I am thinking of sun cover too. Long sleeved shirts? Cotton or something else?

Help!?
Old 27-08-2016, 09:54   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Clothing, Sea of Cortez

Definitely long sleeve quick dry everything IMO. Or go to local thrift store and buy up all their white long sleeve dress shirts! And a giant space blanket to reflect all sun off the boat! Ok, that may be a bit extreme, but you'll appreciate shade and some cover that doesn't let any rays though.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:10   #3

It can be cool in the winter when a norther is blowing. It will very hot at times too. Have some lightweight long sleeves to protect from sun. Hats, hats, hats. Yes jeans or pants for going into town etc. Take a lightweight snorkeling suit/swim cover, water can be coo.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:00   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We were in Pacific Mexico for 18 months (2010-2012) and spent one full summer in the Baja.

Clothing depends if you are spending your winters in the Baja... Remember it is a desert.

Winter can be down right cold and windy. Plan on nighttime temps down in the low 50s, starting in late November or December. During the summer, the temps get well above 100 degrees starting in late April or May.

If you are going south for the winter (Puerto Vallarta or further south) and spending the summers in the Baja, pack nothing but light weight clothing and swim trunks....

I didn't wear long pants the entire time we were cruising!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 14:41   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, there, Sea Dreaming,

When we were there, for Customs, we wore casual clothes you'd wear for church in the US. Long trousers for Jim, a dress for me. Dress is somewhat more formal in Mexico than Colo.

Out on the boat, we lived in T-shirts and shorts, or swim suits and a coverup. When the weather got cold, we wore levi's and long sleeved shirts, sweatshirt, and a windbreaker. Did not wear our polypro thermal underwear, which we did use later on, having saved it. Still wear it from time to time.

You would be well advised to have something gauzy that will cover your whole body, against jejenes (no-no's, tiny biting sandflies), and to help keep the sun off when you accidentally get sun burned.

If you like hiking, bring your hiking boots.

Enjoy.

Ann
Old 27-08-2016, 15:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I actually would wear socks at anchor in Winter in La Paz, so if you are not going to the mainland for the winters, the SOC will get pretty cool and windy when the Northers blow through....

Don't panic and bring too many clothes...they don't to naked in Mexico and you can judge how long someone has been in Mexico by when their Gringo Clothes have warn out and they start wearing what the locals wear at 1/10 the price.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 15:54   #7

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It can be cool in the winter when a norther is blowing. It will very hot at times too. Have some lightweight long sleeves to protect from sun. Hats, hats, hats. Yes jeans or pants for going into town etc. Take a lightweight snorkeling suit/swim cover, water can be coo.
This! However beware of tinfoil hats, it could leave the wrong impression.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:49   #8

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Hello SEA DREAMING, just curious where in Co.? I live down by Durango and will be heading back to San Carlos in Oct. I find that June-Sept. are the hottest with Aug. and Sept. really the hottest. Nov. for me is the best month. Dec. starts cooling and Jan./Feb. can get pretty cold, mostly in the morning, but can last all day. I pretty much live in shorts, t-shirts, sandals and sun screen. A couple good hats that cover your ears and the back of your neck will help or just a good wide, full brim. I take a couple pairs of Levis, but have only worn them a "skins" for going into the water when the jelly fish are hanging around. All in all be comfortable, no need to over dress unless that's just your life style. Enjoy your stay and I will keep an eye out for your boat. Happy Sailing.
sloopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:18   #9

Hey Sloopman! We are in West minster for now. We'll be visiting the old gal Gitana 2nd week of October. She is still at marina seca waiting for us to address a few things.
Today, more buyers from Craigslist and another trip to goodwill. When does the fun start? The house is starting to really shape up though. We hope to list it before our next trip to mexico. Whew!
Old 28-08-2016, 09:36   #10

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Great. I should still be in the work yard at Seca about that same time, I'll look for you. The name of boat is "ALCHEMY", I'm Bill. Hope to see you there.
sloopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 12:45   #11

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Sea Dreaming,
It is me again! The semi-retired farmer/rancher that has been kicked, run over, pooped, etc. by cows.
It seems like you will be in my backyard. I am a desert rat from the California-Baja border. Born, raised and lived here all my life. The northern part of the Sea of Cortez (Baja and Sonora), is a desert. Cook during the day. Freeze at night. For a desert rat freeze is under 45 F. I am familiar with Colorado -20 F. From mid May to mid September, it will be hot (100 to 118) during the day and 70-80 at night. Mid Sept. to mid may 80-90 during the day down to 32 some times. If you are going to be out in the sun, I recommend long sleeved shirt, pants and a hat. Light colored clothing absorbs less heat. The sun is bright all year long! Light jacket handy during the summer. A little heavier during the winter. The thermometer drops with the sun.
The beach is very casual. If you plan to go into town, dress conservatively! It is Latin America, from the fence down, and you do not want to send out the wrong message. Bathing suites and/or very revealing clothing in church is not appreciated! I have read many of your responses so I am sure this does not apply to you, but I have put it in for perhaps other readers? It is unbelievable what you see sometimes and then they are "surprised" by the reaction.

On the mainland, From Sinaloa south it becomes tropical. Less cold but more humid.
There can be formal situations arise, so perhaps have one or two evening gowns?
With TV, the cultural differences are not as great as they used to be. But as always, a little common sense goes a long way.
Glad to see you are so much closer to your dream! Have a nice day. Hector
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 13:00   #12

Boat: Purchase pending
Send a message via Skype™ to budm303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Hey Sloopman! We are in West minster for now. We'll be visiting the old gal Gitana 2nd week of October. She is still at marina seca waiting for us to address a few things.
Today, more buyers from Craigslist and another trip to goodwill. When does the fun start? The house is starting to really shape up though. We hope to list it before our next trip to mexico. Whew!
DREMR is on the hard near 72nd and Simms (slightly west) in Arvada, signal mast visible with anchor light, one black ball, and a yellow flag ... well come. Rum at 1600.
budm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 13:20   #13

Boat: Norseman 400

We have been in the actual SOC since March 2016 (San Jose del Cabo from December - March.) We are currently in Marina San Carlos (August 2016) and the humidity is oppressive. We heard September is even more humid. (The $184 USD window-type air conditioner for the front hatch was worth every penny.)

Here's a list of the clothing we have on board. This is our home now, so we don't have clothing stored anywhere else.
  • T-shirts, tank-tops (both - this is the majority of clothing)
  • Shorts - casual and dress (both - again, the majority)
  • Jeans (3 pair each)
  • Swim suits (both)
  • Swim suit cover-ups (wife)
  • Casual collared shirts/blouses for Immigration offices and Mexican business (both)
  • Dress shirts/ties, dress slacks (2 sets For events and funerals back home)
  • Dresses (2) (wife)
  • Sweatshirt/hoody (1 each for both of us)
  • Yoga pants/jacket (wife)
  • Mosquito netting "I Dream of Jeanie" type pants (wife)
  • Coats - since we have to travel back to the PNW (three times so far), we have to dress for the weather back home
  • Foul-weather jacket and bibs (both)
  • Dive skins for snorkeling/swimming (jellyfish and coral protection)
  • Wetsuits - shorty, 3 mil full (both)
  • Hats for sun protection
  • Gloves - sailing and cold weather (again, PNW)

Shoes - we each have one pair of the following
  • Flip flops
  • Keens
  • Nike's - you walk a lot here...sometimes flip flops just don't work.
  • Drubarry sailing boots (we're from the Pacific NW and used them all the way to Ensenada, and on cooler Mexican evenings)
  • Hiking boots (hiking in Mexico is on the extreme end)
  • Dress shoes (funerals back home)

Luckily, laundry consists mostly of shorts and tank tops, which is done in a bucket on the dock now that the marina lavenderia is closed for the off season.

Hope this helps!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 13:59   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Great list, Sailor 647!

Before we left, I sewed up a "playsuit", a sleeveless, scooped neck top, with shorts attached that buttoned down the front, and a matching elastic waisted skirt with pockets. The effect with the skirt was of a sundress. I wore that out! Having 2 would have been better.

But, i must say that I'm sorta with zeehag and Mark Twain on this: Bring more money and less clothes. The locals do not go unclothes, and if you buy from their stores, you fit in better.

PS: we knew some Britishers who did carry evening wear on a 40 footer, and occasionally were invited places where they wore it. I guess we're just not the kind of folks who get invited to formal occasions. I'd have to hire a consultant!!!!

Ann
Old 28-08-2016, 14:51   #15

Thank you for all the advice and comments. Invites too! Im just going to wave from the front porch to the Colorado folk. We have been so busy getting everything tied up we are pretty knackered.

As for "formal wear" we each have a nice outfit for nicer occasions. He kept a suit and I have the ubiquitous "little black dress".

Mens long sleeved shirts for sun cover? Check! Im actually trying to get Jim to get rid of a few. He has 30 or so and intends to bring them all....can one sew emergency sails from dress shirts? Please dont tell him I think he is nuts. Love is wrapped in extra shirts... And hats! We have 3 or 4 each!

As for humidity, that will be a big change to be sure.

Tags
clothing, sea of cortez